TACP initial testing

JT Miller

Unverified
I have been doing some research on the AF TACP career field and I have a few questions as it pertains to initial requirements:

1) I have seen various sites talking about different types of PFTs, PASTs and new PT tests being implemented, I would like to know what the current TACP entry PAST elements/requirements are as of 2016 (I am non-prior Service civilian).

2)Also, if any former TACP guys can give their opinion on scores for each component of the PAST that they feel are competitive numbers to train for as I do not wish to train for the minimum requirements

3) Is there a certain time in the fiscal year that more TACP slots are open? If so, would I be better suited to meet with a recruiter during this window?
Thanks to any and all responses.

answers....
1) Be in phenomenal shape, be a good swimmer, run well, do pull-ups, learn to ruck. That's all you need.
2)Maybe if you ask some of the current TACP's on the board, they'll tell you always go for more than the maximum, if you don't know the maximum, keep going until you drop.
3) Beginning of the fiscal year is usually best, unless there are a lot of people waiting from previous quarters until slots open. Go to your recruiter ask him what the requirements are, when slots are open and if you have all of the prerequisites (High ASVAB scores, PULHES 1111111, good physical shape, and a desire to excel) then get the reqs for the PAST or whatever its name is this week.

This is really not a joke or sniping, it's the truth, lots of guys have gone TACP, Special Forces, Ranger, Recon, etc. without any 'insider knowledge', just a desire to be the best at what they attempt and no desire to quit.

Oh... learn to laugh at yourself, it really does help keep the suck at arm's length during times of intense stress.

I have been doing some research on the AF TACP career field and I have a few questions as it pertains to initial requirements:

1) I have seen various sites talking about different types of PFTs, PASTs and new PT tests being implemented, I would like to know what the current TACP entry PAST elements/requirements are as of 2016 (I am non-prior Service civilian).

2)Also, if any former TACP guys can give their opinion on scores for each component of the PAST that they feel are competitive numbers to train for as I do not wish to train for the minimum requirements

3) Is there a certain time in the fiscal year that more TACP slots are open? If so, would I be better suited to meet with a recruiter during this window?
Thanks to any and all responses.

My green hatted brother hit the nail on the head already. As far as what the current PAST is, it is still the legacy PAST. 1.5 mile run, pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups. If you can run in the 9:30s, 70+ on the cals, and 12+ on the pull-ups, you stand a good chance of making it through the Schoolhouse without injury. There's no such thing as being in good enough shape to not get smoked. There are a lot of threads on this board about rucking and foot care. Read them. Pick up a copy of "Get Selected" as well. It's designed for SFAS, but it has a great section on rucking and foot care. Join the TACP Mentor forum and read through the stuff I have posted in there.

Back