TACP Locations

BravoDelta

Unverified
I'm new to the site so feel free to educate me and I'm posting this after countless hours of internet searches and romad.com and even threads on this site. My question is simple. Besides being assigned to Army units and being stationed in places such as GA, WA, and NC. Where can one be expected to be stationed as TACP? Not that you'll spend a lot of time at home base due to training and deployment tempo, just hoping to hear from members who have knowledge. Thank you.

If you actually did the research, you know where TACPs can be stationed. You can expect to be sent where ACC determines they need bodies.

OP was vague, I was hoping to hear from any TACP on here about where they've been and what's up for request on "wish lists" since there seems to be a lot of possibilities. I understand and have seen, through the research, a list of duty locations for where (active) ASOS are assigned to Army units. Should have listed more off in OP. GA, WA, NC, AK, TX, KS, CO, NY, LA.. Germany, Hawaii and Italy as well. Thank you for any information.

OP was vague, I was hoping to hear from any TACP on here about where they've been and what's up for request on "wish lists" since there seems to be a lot of possibilities.

Everything is available to request, that's why it is a wish list. If you know the locations, then you know what you can put down. Those should be provided, you won't need to know them from memory. A wish list is just that, so you could ask for 10 bases and find yourself on choice 8 or 11 or whatever.

You're asking where you can go, but then state you know the locations. Are you looking for feedback on the "best" base? What's your idea of the "best," what are you looking for in a base or local area? I'm not trying to bust your balls, but your posts are a bit confusing and I think we aren't sure what you're asking.

I asked a similar question in one of my posts because any locations online are vague and I should have been more specific in my post in what I was asking. Obviously it would be nice to be stationed at a base where there is nearby cities with things to do during down time, but at the same time I am not looking to join the military with the primary focus of which location offers the best off duty experience. I would make my decision on which base offered the most promising opportunity to deploy and perform the tacp mission. Given that I would still have to go through basic and the tacp pipeline (estimating just under 9 months given no set backs) things could change and different bases support different elements, is there any locations that may provide an advantage in seeing deployments as a tacp? I suppose in addition to highest chance at deployments would be more slots for different training or opportunities to perfect the base principles of being a jtac, following that would be best living situations/what area's surround the base for off time, but this is really all bullshit if I don't focus preparing myself on first getting through the pipeline to become a tacp first. Just good to know regardless of if none of this really even matters if they station you at some random base you didn't choose any way.

Ah thats embarrassing, I appreciate that, I was just googling "tacp locations" and didn't have correct verbiage. I have read about becoming a sof tacp and either going with the 17th STS I'm assuming mainly supporting the 3rd Ranger, or 22nd STS at Lewis-McChord with the 2nd Rangers. That is my goal to become a sof tacp and join either, it sounds like once you finish initial pipeline it would take roughly 1-2 years to go to sof tacp selection correct?

Also in regards to sitting in a TOC instead of in a combat zone does that have any effect on the area you are in or just basically differ on the mission?

Also in regards to sitting in a TOC instead of in a combat zone does that have any effect on the area you are in or just basically differ on the mission?

The whims of the system. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Instead of worrying about that, worry about the pipeline, your 5 level, and your JTAC qualification.

A better way to put all of this: If I printed your posts and handed them to the TACPs in my area they would laugh. I'm not trying to be a dick or internet tough guy, but I know how this story will end. Focus on completing the schoolhouse/ pipeline before you worry about your next two or three steps. "Highspeed" guys run a marathon, not a sprint.

No I get it, I am aware that I need to be humble and make it first but I just like getting as much info as possible and appreciate hearing from guys who have experience.

Late reply, I know, but this might help someone else who has the same question. You don't get to pick where they put you. Sure, you have your wish list, I wanted Carson, Hawaii, or Lewis. I spent my entire career at Drum. In those cases, if you really hate where you're at, you can do an overseas assignment, like Korea or Germany (I don't know if Korea is still an option, I heard it was not). From what I remember, you have more of a choice following an overseas assignment.

If that doesn't suit you and you really need to get out of a place you hate, your other option is to put in a package for an instructor spot at the schoolhouse, JTAC QC, etc. I knew some guys that even got assignments at NTC and they enjoyed it (go figure).

Back