TACP questions

Jae

Verified Military
I am looking into getting into TACP soon. My wife decided that if I were to join again then she is going to join so that she has something to keep her occupied while I'm away. The question on our mind is whether or not Joint Spouse will allow her to be stationed with me once I'm done with training and go to my unit. She is going to basic soon and we have heard most likely I will be put on an Army base. I have no problems with this of course but it may also be beneficial if I go PJ instead so we have a better chance at being stationed together.

I have searched for quite some time on google and have found nothing on mil to mil AF in TACP. I have been considering both TACP and PJ as career choices but it is now coming to the time where I need to make a decision. Thank you for reading my post.

TACP and PJ are vastly different AFSCs. What do you really want to do?

I really want to do TACP, which is why I asked the first question. My apologies for even bringing up PJ in the first place, it was just recommended I might look into that since I am married to someone who is trying to join the AF and TACP are usually attached to Army. I am just trying to be completely prepared before entering in once more. Sorry once again for the confusion and I hope this helped a bit more. Thank you for the reply.

I really want to do TACP, which is why I asked the first question. My apologies for even bringing up PJ in the first place, it was just recommended I might look into that since I am married to someone who is trying to join the AF and TACP are usually attached to Army. I am just trying to be completely prepared before entering in once more. Sorry once again for the confusion and I hope this helped a bit more. Thank you for the reply.

I have looked into TACP as well and my wife is joining the AF so I gave the same question to a TACP stationed at my base...his reply

"Your wife joining the AF: That’s a tough one... All Air Support Operations Squadrons (ASOS) have CSS, radio maintenance, vehicle maintenance, supply, and possibly a couple other random AFSC's but I couldn’t tell you specifics. Weather is usually only at Army posts that have Aviation units. I can make some calls down to an ASOS and ask though. Other options are you getting stationed at Joint bases, for example: Fort Lewis-McChord WA, Fort Bragg-Pope NC, Fort Richardson-Elmendorf AK... I'm sure there are a few other bases as well."

Kind of comes down to her AFSC and the base you get stationed at.

I have looked into TACP as well and my wife is joining the AF so I gave the same question to a TACP stationed at my base...his reply

"Your wife joining the AF: That’s a tough one... All Air Support Operations Squadrons (ASOS) have CSS, radio maintenance, vehicle maintenance, supply, and possibly a couple other random AFSC's but I couldn’t tell you specifics. Weather is usually only at Army posts that have Aviation units. I can make some calls down to an ASOS and ask though. Other options are you getting stationed at Joint bases, for example: Fort Lewis-McChord WA, Fort Bragg-Pope NC, Fort Richardson-Elmendorf AK... I'm sure there are a few other bases as well."

McChord and Elmendorf both have C-17's...but so do other bases with no Army presence. Her best, and I say this as a contractor working for the AF and gladly defer to the AF Airmen here, is Mission Support Group AFSC's. Comm (shudder), PERSCO, Finance, Civil engineering, Contracting, Security Forces, Logistics....all of which can be assigned to any AF base. The MSG to my knowledge will be the one constant between all bases. You also have Medical/ Dental, Air Traffic Control, Weather, Intel....other AFSC's in those arenas too, but I think they are low density, high demand.

Examples of an MSG's makeup:

Ellsworth Air Force Base - 28th Mission Support Group

Offutt Air Force Base > Units > 55th Mission Support Group

McChord and Elmendorf both have C-17's...but so do other bases with no Army presence. Her best, and I say this as a contractor working for the AF and gladly defer to the AF Airmen here, is Mission Support Group AFSC's. Comm (shudder), PERSCO, Finance, Civil engineering, Contracting, Security Forces, Logistics....all of which can be assigned to any AF base. The MSG to my knowledge will be the one constant between all bases. You also have Medical/ Dental, Air Traffic Control, Weather, Intel....other AFSC's in those arenas too, but I think they are low density, high demand.

Examples of an MSG's makeup:

Ellsworth Air Force Base - 28th Mission Support Group

Offutt Air Force Base > Units > 55th Mission Support Group
Avoid weather.
She'll spend a few years at Shaw, Scott, Davis-Monthan before joining you.
She should also wait until you complete the TACP school before signing up.

Thanks for looking into that. She still has yet to pick a job so we will see where the next step takes us.

Avoid weather.
She'll spend a few years at Shaw, Scott, Davis-Monthan before joining you.
She should also wait until you complete the TACP school before signing up.
OR Barksdale :wall:. Some first term airmen, or ones who were first term, have been here for 7+ years. The hubs are a trap for now. Especially with the students going to weather flights and army posts straight from Keesler now. If you have any Weather-specific questions let me know. That's my job....for now...8-)

If you have any Weather-specific questions let me know. That's my job....for now...8-)

I'm sure you meant something other than how this reads, but I have to chuckle at you offering your help to a retired Weather/ SOWT officer. Probably just the wording, but it seemed rather humorous to me.

I'm sure you meant something other than how this reads, but I have to chuckle at you offering your help to a retired Weather/ SOWT officer. Probably just the wording, but it seemed rather humorous to me.
haha!! definitely not offering help to him. lol I am sure he knows more about it and has more experience than I do. I meant to direct that to the OP and/or his wife. Sorry for the confusion!

Back