Tactical pistol training

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
So forgive me while I ’geek out’ a bit here.

I’ve been carrying 16 years, carry every day, but am admittedly not well trained.

After watching that most recent “church shooting” video and studying the AAR’s that were online about it, I decided to invest in some training; the LGS offers a number of tactical pistol classes and allows members to ‘test’ for their Tactical Club where you may practice live-fire quick draws and double taps.

Last evening was Tactical Pistol 1 - man was that fun! We focused on drawing from the holster and using correct technique to quickly employ and target with a smooth trigger pull as your arms reach extension. Then to “assess”, check your 360 and recover.

We used a speed timer as well, amazing how stressful that initially was and how easy it was to fumble the draw, (even with just the laser pistol) but during live-fire I was able to “draw” and hit center mass at 1.48 seconds. (7 yards).

So much discussion around ’drills’ and muscle memory; one thing that really kicked me in the ass was during draw-training in the class room I was not taking my finger off of the trigger during ’the assess’ after I had shot. Of course I knew better, but it was not habit in that situation. By the end of the night I was 100% improved.

Anyway, this may be common knowledge and habit to many of you guys, buy as someone just (finally) beginning this journey into becoming a more knowledgeable and trained shooter, brothers am I hooked!

We watched this video during class...wow.

Last edited:
That's awesome. I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to, nor nearly as much as I want. This stuff needs practice; ideally with a good face-to-face instructor, but if not, with good and validated videos. Also, don't forget the benefit of dry firing with regards to sight alignment and trigger control.

Last edited:
Similar to @Devildoc, and probably most other people, I’m not able to get to a range nearly as much as I would like. Below is a pretty good video from Tony Cowden (former SF guy) that I’ve found helpful where he talks about dryfire, what to focus on, and some common misconceptions. He has plenty of other videos on his YouTube and Instagram page that I’ve found to be pretty insightful as well.

There are a few things I've practiced all my adult life with handguns that go beyond the fundamentals: one-handed shooting with both strong and weak sides, and firing from different positions. I think one-handed shooting is important in the event you get hurt or wounded before you can eliminate the threat.

I also practice rapid fire at distances that are slightly greater than what you'd typically encounter in a SD/HD scenario, and fire at targets that are smaller than a man's center mass. If I can hit a target the size of a man's face at 13-14 yards after a quick draw, quick acquisition and rapid trigger sequence, then I'm not worried about closer range. And right now, as ancient as I am, I can get 5 or 6 rounds of a 7-round 1911 mag inside a 7-inch disc at 13 yards and I'm happy with that.

There are a few things I've practiced all my adult life with handguns that go beyond the fundamentals: one-handed shooting with both strong and weak sides, and firing from different positions. I think one-handed shooting is important in the event you get hurt or wounded before you can eliminate the threat.

I also practice rapid fire at distances that are slightly greater than what you'd typically encounter in a SD/HD scenario, and fire at targets that are smaller than a man's center mass. If I can hit a target the size of a man's face at 13-14 yards after a quick draw, quick acquisition and rapid trigger sequence, then I'm not worried about closer range. And right now, as ancient as I am, I can get 5 or 6 rounds of a 7-round 1911 mag inside a 7-inch disc at 13 yards and I'm happy with that.

Dude, we need to party. You speak my language so well.
Ahh, me sooo hornee 😁😁

Fucking AWESOME. I use to teach classes like that, always made me feel good when you would watch a student go from shit to shinning. Our main test was when class started you have 3 steel target at 10 yards. 2 rounds per target, 6 rounds per mag, shoot 12 times. Time, accuracy And magazine change. Then test at end of class. In handguns 2 we would teach getting off the X...movement while shooting. I will try and find a video. I made a 21 foot guy Tied to a rope. You had to draw and shoot at a guy (Dummy on wheels) before he got to you. Totally humbling.

We where talking about the 21 foot rule and the lead instructor called me up front. (Fast draw SOB). Gave me a rubber knife. He is half way through his lesson and I break into full sprint and screaming like a mad man. He got me in the last step in and half. He then says. That is why i preach situational awareness. Fun times, miss them

That's awesome. I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to, nor nearly as much as I want. This stuff needs practice; ideally with a good face-to-face instructor, but if not, with good and validated videos. Also, don't forget the benefit of dry firing with regards to sight alignment and trigger control.
Had a guy show up with a revolver Handguns 1. Slow, taught him dry firing. Everyday before Handguns 2 he practice. Fastest ever SOB I saw in person reload a revolver. Was a professor at a major college near me. Great guy and mind set.

Last edited:
Join a local IDPA club and start shooting local matches once or twice and month. That coupled with "good" training, and you will see improvements you didn't think were possible.

Years ago I posted several accuracy drills in the marksmanship forum. Not sure if they are still on the board, but many of those drills were from when I was on the reserve shooting team, and greatly improved my fundamentals. They are not tactical in nature but fundamentals and accuracy orientated.

Best of luck on your journey, I will try and follow your posts, offer any advice I can...

@Ooh-Rah :thumbsup: That's awesome! Like others here, I'd like to shoot a lot more and with greater variety than I do currently.

This isn't tactical pistol per se, but have you ever tried 3-gun? I used to do it but haven't done so for a few years. Nonetheless, it leverages a number of the same skills. There's an intro to 3-gun/skills builder course near us in early April. Courses fill fast but if you're interested in adding in a little more variety let me know and maybe we can grab the same session. They also have a handgun skills dev. course in early May.

Back