Taliban claims responsibility for downing of US Military aircraft

The video shows major parts of the plane, rudder, stabilizers, the cockpit still attached, meaning that the majority of the aircraft was likely intact upon impact.
I did a year and a half research paper on aircraft crashes, in doing so I looked at lots of pictures, accident reports, previous papers, and interviewed air crash investigators.

Also depending on what research you look at, there are different percents for how many planes are intentionally brought down, but every one that I’ve looked at are under 10%. Sorry if it looked like I was talking out of my ass.
What @Earned-not-given said jives with what I have learned about aircraft crashes doing reviews and reports for classes over the years. There are always outliers though. Hopefully the investigation can reach a final conclusion.

Look at the photos carefully, looks like the hit flat, skidded, and something snagged the plane causing it to turn left, and buckling the cockpit, with a post crash fire.

My creds: MS is Aviation with an emphasis on safety/crash investigations, and serving as a voting member of accident boards.

They were in control and in contact with ATC. The radar data (I've seen the raw feed) shows a controlled descent, not a "plummet out of the sky" flight path. After we lost radar contact? I have some ideas, but that's not my lane and would rely on details that aren't public.

The CVR or the data recorder?

I was told the "flight recorder" so I guess that could be anything...or is to my semi-educated mind. Considering they are more-or-less off-the-shelf Barbardier biz jets? I don't know how the AF requiements stack up against what ships with the airframe.

At this point, barring someone leaking additional details (which will happen), we're all waiting on the AIB's findings in...6-9 months or whatever.

I was told the "flight recorder" so I guess that could be anything...or is to my semi-educated mind. Considering they are more-or-less off-the-shelf Barbardier biz jets? I don't know how the AF requiements stack up against what ships with the airframe.

At this point, barring someone leaking additional details (which will happen), we're all waiting on the AIB's findings in...6-9 months or whatever.
I'll guess CVR. Not sure a FDR will tell us anything we don't know.

The AIB report is out.

https://www.afjag.af.mil/Portals/77...agram Airfield - E-11 - AIB Press Release.pdf

https://www.afjag.af.mil/Portals/77... - Bagram Airfield - E-11 - AIB Narrative.pdf

If you're nerd enough to read the second link, you'll see that the pilots, particularly the commander, totally dropped the ball. You hate to blame the dead, but in this case they made mistake after mistake and paid for them with their lives.

There are eerie similarities with the 2019 B-17 "909" crash: improper reaction to an engine out, poor CRM (if it existed at all), horrible decision making once the emergency happened, and one guy making all of the decisions.

A bad deal, but the "chain" wasn't broken and it cost them.

The AIB report is out.

https://www.afjag.af.mil/Portals/77/AIB-Reports/2020/27 Jan 2020 - ACC - Bagram Airfield - E-11 - AIB Press Release.pdf

https://www.afjag.af.mil/Portals/77/AIB-Reports/2020/27 Jan 2020 - ACC - Bagram Airfield - E-11 - AIB Narrative.pdf

If you're nerd enough to read the second link, you'll see that the pilots, particularly the commander, totally dropped the ball. You hate to blame the dead, but in this case they made mistake after mistake and paid for them with their lives.

There are eerie similarities with the 2019 B-17 "909" crash: improper reaction to an engine out, poor CRM (if it existed at all), horrible decision making once the emergency happened, and one guy making all of the decisions.

A bad deal, but the "chain" wasn't broken and it cost them.
Nerd enough. Wowsers. going through the AIB, every step of the way, was another, "Fuck." Going back to KAF... Jesus. Too bad.

Edited: I can't figure out how to say, sad but so many fucking consecutive failures, i don't even know.

Back