Tampa Police Chief screws up again.

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
Last edited:
Tampa's LGBTQ mayor recently appointed a convicted felon as Chief of Police. Years ago as a cop she was arrested and convicted for striking a police officer and kicking a patrol car window during a suspected DUI traffic stop. Last month she got out of a ticket by flashing her badge. It's just now becoming public.

‘I’m the police chief’: Body cam video shows Florida cop try to evade traffic stop for unlicensed golf cart

Lol WTF. Would have thought that type of shit would be an automatic disqualifier...guess City of Tampa HR lost that fight?

The Mayor, Jane Castor, is the former Chief of Police. She passed over a highly qualified acting police chief (a male) to appoint this convicted felon.
Is she convicted? The article just says she was charged.

Not disagreeing that she probably shouldn't be on the force, but those are two very different things.

Is she convicted? The article just says she was charged.

Not disagreeing that she probably shouldn't be on the force, but those are two very different things.

Yeah, sorry I was misinformed.

She was arrested and charged with battery on a LEO, obstruction and disorderly intoxication. She pleaded no contest and was fired from TPD along with her husband, also a cop at the time. He was charged with DUI. Later they were both reinstated.

Still…🙄

Yeah, sorry I was misinformed.

She was arrested and charged with battery on a LEO, obstruction and disorderly intoxication. She pleaded no contest and was fired from TPD along with her husband, also a cop at the time. He was charged with DUI. Later they were both reinstated.

Still…🙄

All good. I only asked because I saw a similar story out here in Colorado a few days ago.

Cop with felony charges was suspended in one county, so she's currently working in another.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9n...arges/73-0d26db6b-f003-4955-851b-2e40ee084094

BAck when I was a member of the Tampa Bay news media Jane Castor was in charge of the division that was charged with enforcing rules regarding the (since repealed) city ordinance requiring six feet of distance between strippers and customers. That was a Charlie Foxtrot situation if there ever was one. I covered one strip joint bust in broad daylight while driving a marked station vehicle...not a comfortable feeling. I'd rather keep my vices somewhat private...sorry, I digress... While hiring that particular Chief is definitely a black eye, on the whole, I think she's done a pretty good job, especially if you know just how many idiots there are in Tampa's political scene.

BAck when I was a member of the Tampa Bay news media Jane Castor was in charge of the division that was charged with enforcing rules regarding the (since repealed) city ordinance requiring six feet of distance between strippers and customers. That was a Charlie Foxtrot situation if there ever was one. I covered one strip joint bust in broad daylight while driving a marked station vehicle...not a comfortable feeling. I'd rather keep my vices somewhat private...sorry, I digress... While hiring that particular Chief is definitely a black eye, on the whole, I think she's done a pretty good job, especially if you know just how many idiots there are in Tampa's political scene.
less of an idiot=idiot.
less corrupt=corrupt.
Just saying.

less of an idiot=idiot.
less corrupt=corrupt.
Just saying.
She is not an idiot. As far as I know she is not corrupt. That does not make her a perfect mayor, nor does it mean that she won't make mistakes. Which is pretty obvious considering that she stepped in it big time with this particular appointment, but I know plenty of corrupt idiots who would like to take her job. Interestingly, Tampa has had a run of mayors who were neither idiots or corrupt, but competence can bore voters who sometimes would rather just have someone stir things up, so I'm just waiting for some corrupt idiot to make a run at it...probably after Castor gets re-elected, which I think is much more likely than not.

She's been the subject of two DOJ investigations in the past 7 years separate from this total dumpster fire with O'Conner. There are many TPD officers who would cringe at the above statement.
In my experience, police officers and soldiers share a common bond in that they usually dislike their political leaders. I'm no great fan of hers, despite my rather faint praise. Just sayin' that Tampa could do a lot worse.

My apologies if I've given offense in any way. I do not, have not and will not claim any personal military experience. As I said in my introductory thread I consider myself a guest in this house. That said, I was born and raised in Air Force family, worked as a reporter associating with Police and Military personnel in the Tampa Bay area. My opinion is based on my personal experience and in this case was expressed only to broaden the discussion and not meant to carry any greater weight than anyone else's, since clearly it should not.

Just pointing out that your statement was rather broad and unsubstantiated in spite of any personal experience. “Police officers and soldiers” do not necessarily “share a common bond in that they usually dislike their political leaders.” Their political preferences—just like everybody else’s—depends upon the personalities and policies of those elected officials.

If you mean a fair percentage of them “tend” to lean toward conservative leadership, you may have a point.

No offense taken. If this forum is an unscientific microcosm of military attitudes in general, then those attitudes are as varied and shaded as any in the civilian world.

Back