Teamwork

provide guidance and leadership to those that show promise.

Thanks for the reply, those last things you listed make total sense to me. That's the kind of person I want to be. I don't think I'm very good at that last one though. I haven't really had any experience in leadership, and have never been in a position that had any more responsibility than to tell someone what to do and not hold their hand. Does it come through lessons? T&E? I've got some great leaders surrounding me, but I either feel like I do a horrible job emulating, or refrain from it since I don't have the creds.

I don't feel like a "born leader", I do want to be a better one though.

Thanks for the reply, those last things you listed make total sense to me. That's the kind of person I want to be. I don't think I'm very good at that last one though. I haven't really had any experience in leadership, and have never been in a position that had any more responsibility than to tell someone what to do and not hold their hand. Does it come through lessons? T&E? I've got some great leaders surrounding me, but I either feel like I do a horrible job emulating, or refrain from it since I don't have the creds.

I don't feel like a "born leader", I do want to be a better one though.

Leadership is experience......knowing what or how to do something through doing it over and over......if you want to be a good leader you need to learn to follow the guidance of the leaders around you, to the letter. Learn to do it right and repeat several times, and once you know it you can lead others in it....

I am not a believer in natural born leadership.

I think some people are predisposed to be better leaders than others, just like I think some people are predisposed to be better athletes or to be better in school. But leadership can be and is taught and learned, either through formal education or through on-the-job experience. Generally speaking, I think it's better to have the former before you try to to do the latter, having some training instead of flailing around trying to figure it out on your own is usually a better model.

While leadership can be taught I think it is the mark of a great leader that they can adjust their leadership style to that of their team and ditch the things that won't necessarily work with that team and pick up things that will. Thoughts?

Back