'Tears of the Sun' SEAL movie based on JTF 2 mission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote

Verified Military
Verified Military
I saw on my TV guide this movie was coming on. I heard of it before but never really had the opportunity to watch it, so I figured I'd get some info about it from online before I did. I happened to stumble upon this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314353/trivia
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314353/trivia
Tears of the Sun (2003)

The story is based on a mission of the Canadian Joint Task Force Two (JTF2) that took place in Colombia. An ex-member of the commandos wrote the original story and suggested it when he met the production team of Executive Decision on a set in Nevada.
Not sure if anyone else knew about this so I thought it'd be cool to share.

Tears of the Sun was about SEALs and African genocide, right?

Yeah. They try to evac refugees along with nuns/doctors/nurses before they all get slaughtered by militia.

I heard the same thing and read it somewhere in a book forget which one. the only thing was all the (jay tee ef 2) guys did not die. lol like in the movie...

Good movie for saturday evenings.

Hahahah, when this movie first came out. I remember rumors going around that it was actually based on a SF mission in Africa. Without all the casualties of course.

I thought Colombia was in S. America?

They switched the movie to SEALs in Africa rather than JTF 2 in Colombia.
I also can't blame them for making it SEALs, people would be like "Canadians? HA!"

It's only IMDB, take it with a grain of salt.

The mission was also recounted in an ex-member's book. He talked about how he did go to Nevada and proposed the mission to be the actual movie to the directors/producers. They arrested him the day before release of the book because it was going against OPSEC/PERSEC shnaz.

Who cares??? It's a movie that is watched for entertainment value. If you want to learn something start watching documentaries.

By the way...I'm actually in the process of learning Muay Thai, and I've been devotedly watching Tony Jaa movies to master my skills.

Not sure if anyone else knew about this so I thought it'd be cool to share.

Obviously it's not about if anyone cares, it's just interesting to some people. In my post I never took away from the movie's purpose/value or stated I wanted to learn from it.

It was actually based on a mission I pulled to Boons moms house.

Didn't the SEALs in that movie pull out only to get reinserted? If I recall correctly, they were very wet from the moist rain forrest, which needed to be trimed back just so they could get in, but ended up taking a road less travelled and ended up getting very muddy in the process.

Didn't the SEALs in that movie pull out only to get reinserted? If I recall correctly, they were very wet from the moist rain forrest, which needed to be trimed back just so they could get in, but ended up taking a road less travelled and ended up getting very muddy in the process.

Oh someone else wants to play, game on :thumbsup:

Who cares??? It's a movie that is watched for entertainment value. If you want to learn something start watching documentaries.

By the way...I'm actually in the process of learning Muay Thai, and I've been devotedly watching Tony Jaa movies to master my skills.

I agree about the "who cares" part; problem is the movie sucked.

Tears of the sun gave my 17 year old self a boner! I thought that shit was rad... Till I watched it after even a hint of training. Anyone else notice at the end when they are moving forward, are then attacked then react to contact to the six o clock and then end up where they were going? Am I the only one who noticed this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back