The Blue Angels

Devildoc

Verified Military
Documentary that's out on iMAX (which would cost my family over 100 bucks to see), and on Amazon prime (winner winner chicken dinner).

I love watching the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds, and this is a really good documentary about how the sausage gets made behind the scenes.

I used to go to Air Fest at MacDill every year. The Thunderbirds and Blue Angels would alternate each year. They'd arrive at the base a week before the event and do practice runs every day. Since my office was right off base (and I was usually on-base two or three times a week) I got a week's worth of aerobatics.

I have to admit I liked the Blue Angels better...just because the 18s are so much louder and you can feel the rumble.

I used to go to Air Fest at MacDill every year. The Thunderbirds and Blue Angels would alternate each year. They'd arrive at the base a week before the event and do practice runs every day. Since my office was right off base (and I was usually on-base two or three times a week) I got a week's worth of aerobatics.

I have to admit I liked the Blue Angels better...just because the 18s are so much louder and you can feel the rumble.

My first memories of them were in the F-4, and the Thunderbirds in the T-38. Same thing here between the air show at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base and Cherry Point, they alternate.

When I was in officer school in Pensacola they would practice the early part of the week before they flew out for the weekend show, so we got to see them pretty often.

I think they(Blue Angels) are objectively better, and I think it mostly has to do with the fly by wire systems on the aircraft. I think the -16’s just cannot get as close due to the control inputs. The -18 has a 45lb spring added to the stick to make everything smooth. That isn’t possible in the -16. The normal viper demo fucking crushes though.

Back