Buff Commander

Unverified
Howdy all,

TL/DR: I'm a 31 year old civilian with aspirations of earning an 18X contract.

I've been in corporate health and wellness for almost 7 years now. I've been a telephonic health coach, onsite coach coordinator, and wellness coordinator. I'm currently a specialty health coach, I coach associates and spouses of a single client my corporation has. I also present health and wellbeing webinars, staff biometric screening events, and create educational content.

I have a bachelors in exercise science, a minor in strength and condition, and two certifications (one in nutrition and the other in public physical activity). I've excelled in my career and had the opportunity to travel the United States and live in two polar opposite ends of our country. All this time has gone by, I've helped hundreds if not thousands of people improve their health and wellbeing over the years. Yet, I always felt I wasn't doing what I should have been doing. In 2021 I finally realized I had lost the passion and fulfillment I once had. My job is all about helping others, serving others, and I love that. But the way in which I was doing it was no longer satisfactory.

In the middle of 2021 I began to talk with my best friend about maybe looking into both of us joining the reserves or guard. We talked about it, but he was out due to him having a new baby and being married. I was on my own. It was still a blessing though, because the conversation made me realize that there was a calling being put on my heart. I didn't know what all that entailed, but I was eager to figure it out.

Since the end of 2021 I've been researching our military. The branches, MOSs, reserves, guard, active duty, OCS, and more. If I'm going to do this thing, I need to be prepared and well educated on the subject matter. I took it upon myself to be proactive and learn as much as I could. I've had the pleasure of interviewing several active and retired military men. All across the board from active Army to Army reserves and guard, retired marines, active navy men, and so on.

See, one thing I didn't mention before is I was taking additional college courses in preparation to get a second degree, this time in nursing. Things were going well and I was acing my courses, but after a while it just didn't feel right. Shoot, if I want to really make a difference then I should take more classes and get my masters in becoming a physicians assistant. But if I did all that, I wouldn't want to work in a normal hospital setting. I want to work with veterans. I have military veterans in my family and I can't begin to tell you how much I love and respect them. The amount of adoration I have for anyone military is, well I can't put it into words. And It's been that way ever since high school when my brother shipped off to the Iraq for the first time. I want to help veterans but I wouldn't "know." I wouldn't "know" what it means to be a veteran, and I can't be a true benefit to veterans if I don't know. I'm still constantly looking through MOSs and trying to figure out where I would best fit. I know my "why," the question I kept getting asked every time I spoke with someone military. I want to be hands on with military men and women, a mentor. I want to pass on what knowledge I have and help those who need guidance. I want to serve, I want to "know," I want to help others in a capacity that most could only ever dream of. I don't want to be a desk jockey, I've been that for years, I could just stay corporate and make more money if I want to do that. But after spending the past 6-7 months two things in particular spoke out to me, Army OCS & Army SFAS. The Army SF mission set speaks to me loudly. I decided in March 2022 that I wanted to train and get in shape mentally and physically (again) in order to have a chance at entering SFAS, and being selected.

Of course I kept most of this to myself. The people who I did tell only told me what I already knew, which wasn't helpful. "Bro, you're 31 and out of shape, there's no way." That's the general consensus. Shoot I also know that there's an age limit with going OCS and SFAS, but I also know the Army has a waiver for everything. I can't tell you how many times I've been told I can't do something, whether its rules based, skills based, age based, whatever. But through determination and perseverance I've been able to conquer most if not all of those things. I know it's possible, its just going to take some serious work, determination, and heart.

The biggest help I had was from a former work colleague's fiancé. Her fiancé was a retired ranger officer who had participated in in SFAS to become a SF officer. Unfortunately he didn't make it due to injury and was close enough to his contract ending that he decided not to re-up. I got in touch with him, I took a lot of notes. He gave me the most useful advice I had ever received out of all of my interviews. He really put everything into perspective. He got me started with my running training. He also sent me here, to ShadowSpear.

I'm at a point now where I need more knowledge and guidance. I'm looking forward to scouring the forums here. I even saw there was a possibility of gaining mentorship. I'm all over that if given the opportunity. I'm ecstatic to take advantage of every opportunity I can, while interacting with America's finest.

Thank you for your time and much brotherly love to you.

Well, good luck. But I really take umbrage of the following quote: "Shoot, if I want to really make a difference then I should take more classes and get my masters in becoming a physicians assistant."
No offense or insult intended, my friend.

My statement was compiled from nurses themselves. Through my time getting ready for accelerated nursing school I had the chance to talk with multiple nurses, including nurses who currently work with me at my health coach job. They make a difference, no doubt, and I'd debate anyone who says otherwise. But those nurses informed me that they don't have the power of final say. They express their concerns and attempt to advocate for their patients as best they can, but they don't necessarily have the rank or job title to make influential large scale change for someone. They can object and raise concerns to the patients doctor or board of directors at the hospital, but they don't carry the same weight as a doctor or nurse prac./phys. assistant. When I spoke about getting a masters it's because the mission set is different, you have more options, you carry a higher rank and influence. Just like the military, the higher up the COC you are the more likely you are to be heard and make change happen.

That's all. No disrespect meant here.

Very nice resume’, resonated with me, odd.
Welcome to ShadowSpear. Look around and you will find. What it is you are looking for. Nice to see someone your age set a high enough bar. To have garnered the wisdom. Of one of our Green Tab members. Whatever was spoken was Gold.

Very nice resume’, resonated with me, odd.
Welcome to ShadowSpear. Look around and you will find. What it is you are looking for. Nice to see someone your age set a high enough bar. To have garnered the wisdom. Of one of our Green Tab members. Whatever was spoken was Gold.
Hey, partner. I’m glad to hear I have commonality with someone here, even if it odd. Well, if I’m going to get involved and take that leap then I want to be as informed and prepared as possible, right? Are you referring to one of your seasoned green beret members?

Hey, partner. I’m glad to hear I have commonality with someone here, even if it odd. Well, if I’m going to get involved and take that leap then I want to be as informed and prepared as possible, right? Are you referring to one of your seasoned green beret members?
Keep knocking down the barriers. Old doesn’t always mean less than👍🏼

There are nurse practitioners and physician assistants, as well as physicians and registered nurses, who provide very far forward support to SOF. Off the top of my head, there's the AF's special operations surgical team, the Army's PAs and flight surgeons within the 75th Ranger Regiment, forward resuscitation and surgical teams, a PA in the 528th SF sustainment brigade. Conventional units as well.

However, if you want to be SF, absolutely good on you, and let nothing stop you.

God speed and keep us in the loop.

There are nurse practitioners and physician assistants, as well as physicians and registered nurses, who provide very far forward support to SOF. Off the top of my head, there's the AF's special operations surgical team, the Army's PAs and flight surgeons within the 75th Ranger Regiment, forward resuscitation and surgical teams, a PA in the 528th SF sustainment brigade. Conventional units as well.

However, if you want to be SF, absolutely good on you, and let nothing stop you.

God speed and keep us in the loop.
I appreciate the information, brotha. I could go that route but it would take me another couple years to get the nursing degree and probably three years to go the PA route. PLUS, if I go the military route I could get them to flip the bill. Once I get out anyway. RN & PA school is full time hands on good luck having a job kinda thing.

I'm still weighing my options and trying to decide on the best course of action. I have 3 options that I'm seeing.
1. Enlist in the MOS I want and try for SFAS as soon as I can after AIT and all that. Worse comes to worse, I have my original MOS.
2. Go OCS and try for SFAS later. I believe they said an officer has to wait a couple years or more. Downside here is getting an MOS of leadership I don't want, but its a start.
3. 18X. Very high risk but high reward. Downside to failure here is a 6 year signed contract in a needs of the Army MOS. Positives is making it to the Q course.

Lately I've been thinking due to my age that I could go OCS and then after some time try for SFAS. Haven't fully decided on this route, but I'm thinking of doing it this way because I'm running out of time to try for OCS. Running out of time for both honestly but, I just turned 32 earlier this month and I know they cut off officer age by 35.

I agree with your assessment on all points. Ultimately, you have to decide whether you’d be OK being enlisted or an officer. Having supported Marsoc’s assessment and selection, I know that for any socom element, the odds are not in any one candidate’s favor.

The 75th Ranger regiment has a motivational video about SFC Brian Marx, Who enlisted when he was 40, graduated rasp when he was 41, and was still in the regiment at 50 years old. Age will definitely work against you, but it can be overcome.

Yeah have a good point. I was hoping I could squeeze in both, enlisted and officer. Unfortunately, I’m not sure I’d have the time.

That’s an incredible story. I’m looking that up now.

Do you enjoy your job? Do you have any further advice and wisdom for me in moving forward?

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

Back