The Sole Survivor

That is fantastic!

You are truly one of the speical teachers out there!

Thank you for educating the youth of today!

Well I teach at a private school, so the PC is much less. I leave it to them to draw their own conclusions, in some cases they disagree with mine. That's fine as long as they give a well-written and well-argued response. It's exposure they need, exposure to the sacrifices given by so few for so many.

Also, I give a short list of extra-credit assignments that is pretty flexible, I enjoy the students creating their own extra-credit assignment & grading criteria. They know the simple rule is NO FLUFF, I don't grade garbage.

You know QB, so far I have found both parents & students really supportive & willing to really listen. The kids raised money & sent care packages to the 82nd in Afghanistan (a colleague's son). They "get it", if you know what I mean. A contributing factor might be that we are on LI, I have numerous students whose families were/are affected by 9-11. For them I think Marcus' book will resonate deeply.

Well I teach at a private school, so the PC is much less. I leave it to them to draw their own conclusions, in some cases they disagree with mine. That's fine as long as they give a well-written and well-argued response. It's exposure they need, exposure to the sacrifices given by so few for so many.

Also, I give a short list of extra-credit assignments that is pretty flexible, I enjoy the students creating their own extra-credit assignment & grading criteria. They know the simple rule is NO FLUFF, I don't grade garbage.

You know QB, so far I have found both parents & students really supportive & willing to really listen. The kids raised money & sent care packages to the 82nd in Afghanistan (a colleague's son). They "get it", if you know what I mean. A contributing factor might be that we are on LI, I have numerous students whose families were/are affected by 9-11. For them I think Marcus' book will resonate deeply.

Thank you and please keep up the good work!:2c:

I finished the book a few days ago now and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I waited a couple of days to get my thoughts together on this.

I have two comments.

One, Religion has no place on operations and making operational decisions.

Two, This one is far more important.
I am more than a little confused as to why a call wasn't put in to HQ once the goat herders were captured to ask for an immediate extraction, the mission had been compromised and was therefore over.
I would have held the goat herders until the helo arrived therefore all potential charges for killing them is avoided as that scenario is rendered moot, no one gets hurt, everyone goes home to fight another day.

An unnecessary tragedy IMO. :2c:

One, Religion has no place on operations and making operational decisions.

Two, This one is far more important.
I am more than a little confused as to why a call wasn't put in to HQ once the goat herders were captured to ask for an immediate extraction, the mission had been compromised and was therefore over.
I would have held the goat herders until the helo arrived therefore all potential charges for killing them is avoided as that scenario is rendered moot, no one gets hurt, everyone goes home to fight another day.

An unnecessary tragedy IMO. :2c:

I think the biggest reason they let them go, at least from what I got out of reading that segment...was being judged for their actions, as in violation of ROE. Which is fucked up.

I thought they had no comms, couldn't call HQ? Have to re-read that part again...

They had a cell phone that worked and would have worked better there than the spot they eventually used it to make their SOS.

The goat herders were let go because it was unlawful to kill them, not to mention that that action in itself would have drawn attention to themselevs.

It just seems like this could have been avoided if other actions were attempted. :2c:

PO (SEAL) Marcus Luttrell receiving his Navy Cross.

file0001kz5.th.jpg

HiRes

Have there been any updates around Mike Murphy and the MOH? To date, he's still the only one of the four not to be decorated for his actions. I know it was mentioned that there is a two-year period from the date of action, however I don't know how accurate that is....

They had a cell phone that worked and would have worked better there than the spot they eventually used it to make their SOS.

The goat herders were let go because it was unlawful to kill them, not to mention that that action in itself would have drawn attention to themselevs.

Again totally unnessasary if they had done the prudent thing IMO. :2c:

Tony I'm with ya, but didnt he say in the Book that was the only place a call could of been made. I serously dont think Seals nor any force would of waited to use the phone! hell I'm sure QRF was on speed dial:D

They were higher up the mountain when comprimised, which should've meant better phone service, they didnt try it from there in the hour or so they waited to be attacked. :uhh:

They were higher up the mountain when comprimised, which should've meant better phone service, they didnt try it from there in the hour or so they waited to be attacked. :uhh:

I have a great deal of experience with sat phones in Afghanistan. The coverage isn't what it should be, your altitude means little.

After they were compromised, they did try to get HQ on the radio...to no avail.

Page 204, 1st paragraph. (This is happening just after letting the goatherders go)

We both turned to Danny, who had fired up the comms system and was valiantly trying to get through to HQ. We could see him becoming very frustrated, like all comms operators do when they cannot get a connection. He kept trying, and we were rapidly coming to the conclusion the goddamed radio was up the creek.

That wasn't the only time they tried to make comms, as you know. After the goatherders were out of site, they moved out. I'm sure you didn't mean your comment to come out the way it did...about waiting to be attacked, though they obviously thought they would be...and were. And Freefalling's comments can attest to the coverage problems.

Either way, none of us were there that day...to second guess them, their actions and their thoughts isn't really appropriate.

I just dont understand why they released the goat herders before attempting to make make comms via the raido and apparently not try to establish comms via the cell phone.
It just doesnt make sense to me, I'm sure there's more to the story though.

Here are more clips, The first is Taliban propaganda.

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6777595885571084453&q=Taliban+Seals&total=30&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0"]Operation Red Wing ambush propaganda video[/ame]

If those coward pricks are so brave/morally justified/right in their jihad why do they always cover their faces?

I hate them, I hate hearing that damn allah akbar, I hate them videoing us dying and dead :mad:

Bravery is the act trying to live but willing to sacrifice, compassion against personal belief, honour in the face of adversity, and a sense of duty and focus amidst chaos and destruction. Bravery are the soldiers who stands on guard when no one knows they are there, meeting combat when no one seems to care.

Bravery is the act trying to live but willing to sacrifice, compassion against personal belief, honour in the face of adversity, and a sense of duty and focus amidst chaos and destruction. Bravery are the soldiers who stands on guard when no one knows they are there, meeting combat when no one seems to care.

Well said. And a piece of tin with some colored cloth doesn't mean shit.

Back