There goes the Interwebz

Why are conservative speakers are faced with violent protests if alternative points of view are accepted?

Ok, so because of half a dozen protests of guest speakers out of over 4000 universities in the US it’s not possible to have ‘alternative’ – or really just conservative views on college campuses? That’s a pretty incredible assumption – and demonstrably false. In that worldview there are no conservative professors on campus, there are no conservative students. Weird, when around 99% of Republican congressmen, members of government, think-tank members, and journalists are college graduates.

Maybe in your world it’s a more recent phenomenon? Now that Berkley and Middlebury have had violent protests against guest speakers – and several other colleges have had non-violent protests of the same – conservatism is dead (or hiding in fear in the dorms) on colleges throughout the US. I mean, that would jive with how there’s no Trump Presidency – since there were protests immediately after inauguration; how the Obama Presidency ended after two years when the Tea Party started; how there are no gun rights/are massive gun rights when people protested…wait, that’s not true at all. When people protest, even violently, it doesn’t mean everyone/everything they are protesting is now suppressed and oppressed.

I get that conservatives feel like college is not a safe-space for conservative thought. I would not have thought it was the protests that sent them scurrying in fear and depression – but instead the higher percentages of students and faculty who identify with liberal politics. But, even in the most expansive interpretation of that worldview it would only be lonelier to be a conservative on a supposedly ‘liberal’ college campus – not somehow against the rules.

The accuracy of your statement is completely dependent upon the subject about which your view is outside the norm.

I can argue that the standard model equation is inaccurate because it is dependent upon the Higgs particle. I'd probably be wrong but if I made a cogent argument--even an inaccurate one--it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Of course, that's a purely academic and scientific disagreement. The same could be said of a difference in opinion on how to treat accidental opioid intoxication in dogs, or whether Freud had it right.

Introduce something polarizing like politics (the conservative viewpoint in particular) and things change. How much depends on which university you're at, but it can be significant as we've seen recently.

If I wore a sandwich board proclaiming a theory taught in business school to be crap, I'd either spark intellectual and reasoned debate or be ignored. If I wore a sign praising Trump's temporary travel ban or advocating the deportation of illegal aliens, the reaction would be much different from both students and faculty.

I think that’s all fair. I think though, it’s an extreme exaggeration to say you can’t have views out of the norm – even in politics – on a college campus. College Republicans have been in the news a number of times for events that offended their campus – but they’ve existed and been active all the rest of the time they’re not in the news. The idea people might disagree with you, your views might be unpopular, or your augments might not be as strong in class is not the same as saying you can’t exist – or can’t express your views.

You're right, one can have an "alternate" point of view on college campuses all day long. It's harder to have (or at least express) a conservative point of view, especially at elite universities.

I'm curious to know what point of view is not "based on some level of evidence." Isn't all evidence subjective? Some people might take a sample size of 1 and extrapolate that onto the entire country. Others may fundamentally misattribute the root cause of major problems and use that to support their worldview. Others might hold up a 1,000 year old book as "evidence" for their believes. So what point of view in this thread is "not based on some level of evidence?"

What I meant was when talking about social science, public policy, science, or journalism in an academic context. As I’ve addressed I think the idea you can’t have conservative political opinions in college is demonstrably false by the number of conservatives in college – and who have graduated. However, if one is making the argument they can’t argue for conservative positions in these subjects (those are the ones that come to my mind for having ostensibly ‘conservative’ positions) there is some validity to the position – because many of the ‘conservative’ positions in those topics do not have the same level of academic/scientific support as the supposedly ‘liberal’ positions. In those cases – at least in the classroom setting – it’s not enough to use the cable news or internet argument of ‘well, agree to disagree – here are some internet links to my position’ – instead you have to offer evidence in the academic constraints of the topic and class.

For example, on this board, on your facebook feed, or in any forum associated with the RNC you can say all day how President Reagan was the greatest President the US has ever seen for the economy, for national security, and for human rights – and it would be a perfectly valid opinion. But, if you’re trying to make those same arguments in a history class, economics class, public policy class, etc. you’re going to have a much tougher time. There are certainly still scholars who agree and have offered evidence – but the preponderance of scholarly work makes different contentions. Still possible, but more difficult.

And, of course, in these examples I’m thinking of general universities and colleges – I’m sure conservative private universities/colleges (like Liberty, Bob Jones, etc.) might offer the total opposite experience.

Last edited:
Normally I don't post anything as I have absolutely no experience with like 95% of the content on this board, but I'm actually a student at UW Seattle, one of the more liberal research universities in the nation. Honestly, yes, conservative views are considerably harder to express here, but certainly not impossible. From what I can see this is due to two big factors. 1) The VAST majority of students, faculty, and staff are extremely liberal and 2) We have an extremely vocal minority of individuals who honestly do live up to the close minded SJW ect. stereotype.

However, we (as a university) do our best to allow everyone to have their own point of view and I've met a LOT of faculty and students who are extremely willing to engage in a reasonable discussion about almost any topic - including literally, did the Holocaust happen or not? (For what it's worth we decided that it did but the point remains.)

For reference here are two links from the office of the president, the first affirming students rights to peacefully assemble for a "wall building party" put on by pro-trump anti immigration students. And the second, the president's response to the Milo visit during which someone got shot in the gut.

Just some more food for the discussion from someone who's on a college campus.

"The messiness of democracy is a feature, not a defect. The interplay of differing ideas, deeply held and passionately argued, is how we reach understanding. If we permanently retreat into like-minded bubbles of our own making, or if we treat democracy and discourse as zero sum games, then we do so at great cost to our society, and ultimately to ourselves." - Also from the office of the president

Normally I don't post anything as I have absolutely no experience with like 95% of the content on this board, but I'm actually a student at UW Seattle, one of the more liberal research universities in the nation.

Great post, thanks for contributing!

An excellent read about how peer-reviewed journals can be an outright scam.

Is the staggeringly profitable business of scientific publishing bad for science?

I'd call it a racket at this point.

FWIW, the Daily Wire or whomever are vastly behind the curve here. Google has been engineering the results that pop up on searches for years now with Search Rater teams.

My wife has had this exact job with Google since 2010, where she's given sample search results to queries on literally any subject, then rates the results by a whole slew of acceptability and applicability metrics.

An excellent read about how peer-reviewed journals can be an outright scam.

Is the staggeringly profitable business of scientific publishing bad for science?

Really nice article. I'm ~very sad~ they mentioned Sci-Hub, it's a ~terrible~ site that I would ~never~ recommend using because it's copyright infringement on the above-mentioned business model.

If there's ever a paper behind a pay wall definitely DON'T search for it on Sci-Hub because they might have it and you might access work someone doesn't get a royalty for (and had to pay a journal to run) without properly compensating the journal for getting people to review it for free.

Additionally, you might fail to pay the journal for the ability to read and cite a scientist's work. Scientists get VERY mad if you cite their work without properly paying a journal (no money would go to them of course) to read their article.

I bumped this thread with article because I'd never heard of this controversy and the thread happened to have some references to citing peer-reviewed articles. I broke out the Google, also a flawed source at times, and it was overrun with articles and stories about the topic.

We decry the media for bad info, Google skews its results, Facebook scrubbed stories on its news feed, and whatever else I've forgotten or don't know about. What information to do we trust? What sources? As I've posted before, even when it comes to the news I check multiple sources because of their bias. I've basically become a junior all source analyst in an attempt to have a balanced view of the world.

If you control the information you control the world. If you like conspiracies, you can forget the Rothschild's banking story. Information has/will put money on the back burner.

Back