U.S. Military Deploys Personal Gunfire Detection System

LimaOscarSierraTango

Infantry
Verified Military
A new warfighting technology will soon be making its way to Afghanistan. U.S. Army forces will be getting gunshot detection systems, which can tell where a shot was fired from.

Approximately 13,000 gunshot detection systems will be given to individual footsoldiers later this month, according to the U.S. Army. The system, called Individual Gunshot Detector (IDG), is made by Reston, Va.-based QinetiQ North America.

IDG has four small acoustic sensors and a small display screen attached to the soldier's body armor that shows the distance and direction of incoming bullets. The sensors are each about the size of a deck of cards and can detect the supersonic sound waves generated by enemy gunfire. It alerts the soldier of the shot's direction in less than one second.

"We're really trying to ensure that every Soldier is protected," said Brigadier General Peter Fuller, program executive officer soldier, said in a statement. "When you get fired on, instead of trying to figure everything out, you will have technology to assist you in knowing what happened and where the shot was coming from."

lg.php

1px.gif

One of the system's advantages, according to the Army and QinetiQ, is the fact it's very light, weighing less than two pounds. This allows the army to strategically disperse the systems throughout small, dismounted units and thus get maximum protection for platoons, squads and other units on the move.

Lt. Colonel Chris Schneider says the Army plans to field up to 1,500 gun detectors per month. The Army plans on integrating the gun detection system with its Land Warrior and Nett Warrior systems. These systems include a GPS digital-mapping-display technology, a radio, a helmet-mounted display and a hand-held data input device, allowing soldiers to have "unparalleled situational awareness."

"The next thing we want to do is try to integrate this capability with other capabilities; for example, we have Land Warrior deployed in Afghanistan and we're going to have Nett Warrior coming into the force. How about, if you get shot at, not only do I know where that came from, but others know where it came from because I can network that capability," Fuller said.

SOURCE

I was reading about this today, although I don't think every troop on the ground needs a system like this but perhaps every section. Soon enough every one will be inundated with to much data, they won't know what to do with it.

We're armoring and equipping our troops, increasing their lethality and survivability, and yet no one has figured out how to make the back and knees carry all of this shit for a 20 year career. We're basically turning our guys into walking tanks beholden to their vehicles instead of dismounted patrols with what they can carry on their backs.

The guys designing and acquiring this stuff need to be squad and fire team leaders, not colonels and generals who haven't humped a ruck in a decade or more.

This is so amazing to me. In 2000 Los Angeles was given some stationary units to deploy in some special neighborhoods. The system was bulky and used a lot of energy. The LA Sheriff was able to respond to active shootings with the casings still hot enough to see with vision equipment. The system put a stop to a lot of shooting activity and has been very effective.
To think this system can now be deployed on an individual is amazing advancement.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Los+Angeles+Sheriff's+Department+Receives+Grant+for+The+...-a068716993

We're armoring and equipping our troops, increasing their lethality and survivability, and yet no one has figured out how to make the back and knees carry all of this shit for a 20 year career. We're basically turning our guys into walking tanks beholden to their vehicles instead of dismounted patrols with what they can carry on their backs.

The guys designing and acquiring this stuff need to be squad and fire team leaders, not colonels and generals who haven't humped a ruck in a decade or more.

System is being approved by guys who never humped a ruck, and designed by civillians who never served, but think technology is the cure.
AF lunacy has gained a foothold in the Army.

Gunshot detection? I thought that the little red blotches that sprouted unexpectedly on our uniforms were pretty good indicators of a gunshot already.

Oh, a gunshot direction detection device! Yeah that would be useful.

I can see it's uses, however the last thing I'd want is more weight to carry around. I wonder what this will do to soldier's reactions upon contact. Will the reaction be to return fire and maneuver against the enemy? Or will it be to look down at the little computer screen? Sounds to me like this system could take away from precious time during an engagement. Or who knows, maybe I'm just over thinking things again.

I've seen the vehicle mounted ones and thought that was a good concept. Will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

I can see it's uses, however the last thing I'd want is more weight to carry around. I wonder what this will do to soldier's reactions upon contact. Will the reaction be to return fire and maneuver against the enemy? Or will it be to look down at the little computer screen? Sounds to me like this system could take away from precious time during an engagement. Or who knows, maybe I'm just over thinking things again.

I think that's a valid concern. Relying too much on technology rather than sound training and instinct is a dangerous prospect. Surrounded by guys a lot younger than myself, it feels like the average Joe is seeing things more and more like a damn video game and that, in my opinion, can be very detrimental.

Gunshot detection? I thought that the little red blotches that sprouted unexpectedly on our uniforms were pretty good indicators of a gunshot already.

That's called a litmus test. I see definite potential for it but it needs to be a supplement to proven techniques like scanning and situational awareness. I also would love to see it go nuts when your own squad lays down fspt. We all know what happened to basic nav skills when some smart cunt issued GPS like it was going out fashion.

Now when they can link it to a shoulder mounted grenade launcher no longer than 14" and weighing no more than 2 pds that automatically engages the detected threat I will be really excited.

Back