U.S. Naval Academy and the Marine Corps

Gurahiyi

Unverified
Greetings all,

I am a high school student considering a military career and am interested in attending the US Naval Academy. This thread is directed towards others in a similar position, those who are enlisted and are interested in attending, and to those that have or are currently attending the Academy. To those who have gone through the process: could you please shed some light on what attending the Academy was like, words of advice for those applying or going to attend, and any regrets or benefits which you now have as a result of attending. Also, if you applied while enlisted, could you please explain any difficulties you might have encountered in terms of the application (timing, document processing, meetings, etc). To those who are applying or have applied (from the fleet or elsewhere): Could you also explain any difficulties you might have encountered in the application process, your background, and your reason for applying.

Here is a review of my background. I grew up in a military family, my father served in the Army. He was in HUMINT and served multiple tours in Ramadi, Iraq, and was stationed in California, Texas, Arizona, Missouri, and South Korea. I grew up educated by a combination of homeschooling and private tutors. I have done fairly well in school, maintaining a high GPA, strong ACT score, and multiple honors courses. I will be graduating this May under the Distinguished Graduation Plan in Texas. I have not been able to take as many AP courses as I would have liked due to un-availability, but have taken a few. I have been enrolled in college under a dual-credit program for the last two years (I am 17 currently, started when I was 15) and have completed classes in History, English, Psychology, and Spanish. I was enrolled in a Calculus in college class but due to not working well with the professor I opted to drop that class early on and instead took AP Calculus with a private tutor. I have steadily volunteered in community and traveled a considerable amount. I have worked on several mission trips and will be leaving in April to spend two months as a humanitarian aid worker in the Philippines. I have been involved in several academic clubs throughout the years, first and foremost Speech and Debate. Athletically, I run cross country and have participated in similar events (marathons, triathlons, , 5k's, etc). I have worked at Whataburger, Texas Roadhouse, and Starbucks since over the past (nearly) two years. I would like to apply to the US Naval Academy and become an officer in the Marine Corp, particularly in either the Recon Marines or MARSOC. I am cloudy on that process and would appreciate if anyone could clarify it for me. Finally, as you may have noticed, I have not participated in team sports. As best I can tell, that is a defining characteristic of those accepted to the Academy. For that reason, I am considering enlisting first and applying after in order to "prove myself" as a viable candidate despite the lack of team-based athletic activities.

Gurahiyi,

I applied to the Naval Academy, got a nomination but did not get appointed (actually did it twice). Did a stint in Marine Option NROTC and am will be commissioning this May through the PLC program.

If you want to be a Marine officer, my advice is to apply to the academy and look at other options as well. Research NROTC, PLC and if you want to enlist make sure you understand that as well. When I was in high school I really wanted to attend the academy, but it didn't work out and in the end it does not really matter.

There are some on this forum that are much more qualified to answer this question but I hope that helps. Let me know if have any other questions or need any specifics. Good luck

Here is a review of my background. I grew up in a military family, my father served in the Army. He was in HUMINT and served multiple tours in Ramadi, Iraq, and was stationed in California, Texas, Arizona, Missouri, and South Korea. I grew up educated by a combination of homeschooling and private tutors. I have done fairly well in school, maintaining a high GPA, strong ACT score, and multiple honors courses. I will be graduating this May under the Distinguished Graduation Plan in Texas. I have not been able to take as many AP courses as I would have liked due to un-availability, but have taken a few. I have been enrolled in college under a dual-credit program for the last two years (I am 17 currently, started when I was 15) and have completed classes in History, English, Psychology, and Spanish. I was enrolled in a Calculus in college class but due to not working well with the professor I opted to drop that class early on and instead took AP Calculus with a private tutor. I have steadily volunteered in community and traveled a considerable amount. I have worked on several mission trips and will be leaving in April to spend two months as a humanitarian aid worker in the Philippines. I have been involved in several academic clubs throughout the years, first and foremost Speech and Debate. Athletically, I run cross country and have participated in similar events (marathons, triathlons, , 5k's, etc). I have worked at Whataburger, Texas Roadhouse, and Starbucks since over the past (nearly) two years. I would like to apply to the US Naval Academy and become an officer in the Marine Corp, particularly in either the Recon Marines or MARSOC. I am cloudy on that process and would appreciate if anyone could clarify it for me. Finally, as you may have noticed, I have not participated in team sports. As best I can tell, that is a defining characteristic of those accepted to the Academy. For that reason, I am considering enlisting first and applying after in order to "prove myself" as a viable candidate despite the lack of team-based athletic activities.

Define a "high GPA".

3.87 HS GPA (unweighted), 32 ACT, distinguished graduation plan (Texas), and 3.84 college GPA (dual-enrollment), multiple AP and honors classes, etc. Both GPAs would be in the 3.9 - 4.0 range if it were not for foreign language classes, in which I am admittedly a poor student (Latin, Spanish, and Russian).

I had a 3.0 in high school and was weak in math and science. I was a hard worker though and I ended up with a nomination to (and eventually a diploma from) the Naval Academy. Nothing is impossible.

That is... truly impressive. Could you elaborate on exactly what you mean by "hard worker" and how did you convey that in your application? Stop me if any questions would be considered G2ing the application system. I'm not trying to cheat and can make it on my own merit, but I would like to know as much as possible about what I would be getting into.

I had to interview with a local blue and gold officer and a senator. I had strong recommendations from retired military officers and a family history of service. I did have to go to Navy prep before going to USNA though.

I had to interview with a local blue and gold officer and a senator. I had strong recommendations from retired military officers and a family history of service. I did have to go to Navy prep before going to USNA though.

I have one strong recommendation from a retired Lt. Colonel in the USAF and can get a second from an active Colonel in the USAF as needed, but the vast majority of the recommendations I have collected for my college applications (about a 10 total) come from various teachers and mentors. My father still has strong connections to and interacts frequently with high ranking officers due to his current line of work, but they are primarily Army so I doubt they will be of much assistance. I have spent some time interested in politics (I was planning on attending law school, dating back to middle school and only changed my mind last year) and attended programs in which I worked for or with various politicians for a time. I still have some connections to individuals in those rings but who might I need to contact especially? A state senator or US senator? Or state/US representative? I do not have a long history of service, my mother is an immigrant and my father was the first in his family; should I anticipate them counting that against me or is it a neutral factor? I have no objection to attending NAPS (I believe that is the correct abbreviation?), and would welcome the opportunity to improve myself before attending.

Hey man that was my story. I didn't have any connections. What worked for me may not work for you. The point is that you need to be passionate and genuine about your objective. That's what I believe tipped the scales in my favor.

I don't know any senators personally by the way, all applicants need to secure a nomination from a representative or senator to be admitted. You apply and interview with them or a board of their choosing.

You seem pretty smart and have likely a couple of backup plans. I just want to encourage you to apply to multiple top schools including public. That 32 ACT will get you a presidential scholarship (full ride plus some) at nearly all top public schools that take the ACT that probably all have NROTC. I'd just hate to see an awesome scholarship go to waste because of poor planning.

You seem pretty smart and have likely a couple of backup plans. I just want to encourage you to apply to multiple top schools including public. That 32 ACT will get you a presidential scholarship (full ride plus some) at nearly all top public schools that take the ACT that probably all have NROTC. I'd just hate to see an awesome scholarship go to waste because of poor planning.

Thank you for your concern, I have applied to 10 schools for the 2017-2018 academic year, from all across the spectrum (ranging from Ivy League to small state schools). Thus far I have been accepted into 6 of those schools, rejected from one (Georgia Tech, it was ranked first place nationally for my major so I'm not surprised), and am waiting for responses from the remaining schools. Of the schools I have been accepted to, I was a finalist in two competitions for a full ride and while I didn't win, the scholarships/financial aid still put it very close to a full ride for the total cost of attendance (about 5-15k away depending on the school). It is not my intention to waste money or time, but the USNA is an outstanding school. If I attend college instead of enlisting right away, I still intend to continue applying to USNA throughout.

Hey man that was my story. I didn't have any connections. What worked for me may not work for you. The point is that you need to be passionate and genuine about your objective. That's what I believe tipped the scales in my favor.

I don't know any senators personally by the way, all applicants need to secure a nomination from a representative or senator to be admitted. You apply and interview with them or a board of their choosing.

Well then, sir, I think I might be ready to apply and attend USNA after all. While I will maintain my fallback plans (med school and biomedical research), I am entirely dedicated to joining the ranks of USNA graduates if at all possible. One question. If I were to interview with a blue and gold officer, would suggesting I attend NAPS or a similar program first be a good way to show my interest or would that be too presumptive of me?

Hit up the admissions page on USNA.edu. It will walk you through the admissions process and requirements. They have the emails for blue and gold officers on there; they are volunteers who help you apply. They make recommendations but I'm not sure how much they influence the process.

My blue and gold officer flew at Midway under Nimitz so I figure he found a way to make his voice heard. He told me that he saw something in me that he saw in himself and worked to help me get in despite my mediocre academics.

Hit up the admissions page on USNA.edu. It will walk you through the admissions process and requirements. They have the emails for blue and gold officers on there; they are volunteers who help you apply. They make recommendations but I'm not sure how much they influence the process.

My blue and gold officer flew at Midway under Nimitz so I figure he found a way to make his voice heard. He told me that he saw something in me that he saw in himself and worked to help me get in despite my mediocre academics.

Thank you for that advice. While I cannot count on the same luck, I will contact those officers and see what can be done.

I honestly feel like I waited too long to apply and wish I had been more aware of these institutions last year or the year prior. As it stands, I will apply anyway and continue to apply until either I am accepted or no long meet the requirements to attend. Hopefully I will only end up "losing" a year or two and be accepted to the class of 2022 or 2023.

Look into ROTC programs at the schools that accepted you. You're outside the application window for USNA. You could always enlist in the Marine Corps reserve while you are in college if you really want to scratch that itch.

The blue an gold officer came to our house to interview Chris. I'm in the back room. I hear the officer ask, "If you don't get in this time, will you try again?"
Chris says: "Maybe." :wall::wall:
That's not the kind of "passionate and genuine" they want to hear.

Look into ROTC programs at the schools that accepted you. You're outside the application window for USNA. You could always enlist in the Marine Corps reserve while you are in college if you really want to scratch that itch.

Yes and no. I'm outside the window for this current year at USNA, but from what I understand per their website, and they confirmed when I asked them directly (over the phone), that so long as I'm under 23 I am allowed to apply and attend. Thus I could, theoretically, apply for the next 6 years straight. Hopefully that won't be the case, but I am qualified to apply for future enrollment there.

Back