U.S. Naval Academy and the Marine Corps

I meant for this year. I had classmates who did a year of college elsewhere and reapplied.

Yes sir, sorry I misunderstood. That is exactly what I am thinking about doing now since you recommended not applying from the fleet. I think that attending USNA would be worthwhile enough that losing a year of college credits in return for attending would be an excellent trade. Either way, I will either enroll in college (ROTC program as you suggest) or enlist this coming fall, and continue applying to USNA as long as necessary. I will start the application process early June upon returning from my trip and hopefully have the best application package I can possibly amass by the time I submit several months later. No rushing on this one.

I meant for this year. I had classmates who did a year of college elsewhere and reapplied.

The first year or two of college should be relatively easy for me. The degree plans are tough but the classes are not unlike ones I have already taken and completed with perfect scores. In any case my workload should be light enough that I can spend a significant amount of time engaged in activities that will hopefully bolster my application (athletics, volunteer work, academic research, advanced classes, etc).

Sir,

I don't mean to argue or question your judgment but I would appreciate your insight on one matter. The Marine recruiter I have been talking to insists that overall my chances are better of being accepted to USNA while enlisted rather than as a civilian. This would be based on my military status, recommendations and support from active officers in the Corp, and a higher level of fitness. Given my academic scores are on par or better than the average at the Academy, while I am still open to attending NAPS, it is really the rest of my application upon which I would like to improve. I understand that Recruiters are tasked with bringing in others to the Corp so they may exaggerate or over-glorify to some degree (at least that is my assumption) in order to meet that objective. In terms of applying while on duty, I was assured that the Unit Career Planner would be more than capable of making sure all the appropriate arrangements are made. In your respected opinion, would you agree that my odds would improve as an enlisted or still maintain that I should attend college and enlist while continuing my studies?

Well. First of all, it wouldn't surprise me if the recruiter told you that an infantry contract is the best route to becoming an astronaut. He's not entirely wrong. Enlistment is one of many roads that may lead to the academy. I personally wouldn't want to subject myself to all the academy midshipman shenanigans after serving as a Marine for four years. You may also fall in love, have kids (the two don't always go together), get burned out etc. I personally recommend that enlisted Marines go through MECEP instead; they continue to promote while in school, accrue time in service, and don't have to play fk-fk games with a Midshipman who is younger than you are.

It is far, far easier to get into West Point as an enlisted soldier than as "just another civilian." The Academy is always looking for highly qualified personnel to be part of the Long Gray Line. In fact, they rarely have as many as they'd like.

Applicants still have to do a year or two as enlisted, and then usually a year at the prep school, and then four years at the Academy. It's a much longer route, but for those who really want to go to West Point it's a good one.

Again, that's West Point not Annapolis. I just share that with you to give some context to what your recruiter is telling you.

Well. First of all, it wouldn't surprise me if the recruiter told you that an infantry contract is the best route to becoming an astronaut. He's not entirely wrong. Enlistment is one of many roads that may lead to the academy. I personally wouldn't want to subject myself to all the academy midshipman shenanigans after serving as a Marine for four years. You may also fall in love, have kids (the two don't always go together), get burned out etc. I personally recommend that enlisted Marines go through MECEP instead; they continue to promote while in school, accrue time in service, and don't have to play fk-fk games with a Midshipman who is younger than you are.

Sir,

I would like to note that he did not suggest the 03xx (11, 21, or 31) contract, I asked for that myself. He suggested I look at 02xx, 57xx, and 26xx MOS assignments as well. I hopefully wouldn't have to serve for four years prior to attending USNA. As best as I can tell, I have four options give or take. First, I attend college and apply to USNA while there and see what happens. Second, I enlist and apply to USNA while active and hopefully get accepted the first or second try. Third, I go reserve and attend college while still applying to USNA, and hope the reserve status gives me an advantage. Fourth, I enlist and try for MECEP. Personally, I am more inclined to the first and second options thn the third and fourth. As far as what life throws at me... getting burned out, married or whatever else along those lines... well it seems that isn't something I can control or predict so I while keeping them in mind, I can't really factor them in to the decision.

It is far, far easier to get into West Point as an enlisted soldier than as "just another civilian." The Academy is always looking for highly qualified personnel to be part of the Long Gray Line. In fact, they rarely have as many as they'd like.

Applicants still have to do a year or two as enlisted, and then usually a year at the prep school, and then four years at the Academy. It's a much longer route, but for those who really want to go to West Point it's a good one.

Again, that's West Point not Annapolis. I just share that with you to give some context to what your recruiter is telling you.

Thank you, I'll bear that in mind. I'm trying to look up some statistics to see what the difference in acceptance rates and academic scores as well as service records are for West Point and USNA. Perhaps that will shed some more light on the matter.

Sir,

I would like to note that he did not suggest the 03xx (11, 21, or 31) contract, I asked for that myself. He suggested I look at 02xx, 57xx, and 26xx MOS assignments as well.
Hmmm intel, CBRN, and data tech. I'm sure he tailored those options to your military interests and not the remaining contracts he needs to fill this month. Infantry contracts are popular and go quick. Have you ever bought a used car? From a Nigerian prince who promises you a great deal via email? Thats basically what you're dealing with.

@Marauder06 I believe the Navy has a similar program for USNA but the Marine Corps gets a much smaller number of quotas for our enlisted than they do. The current class has 57 Sailors and 10 Marines.

Last edited:
Wait are you saying that Nigerian prince wont be giving me free money for life in return for my SSN and a cash donation? Dang it that explains so much...

I know fairly well not to trust them too much. As best I can tell, they really do try to help, but their agenda always comes first. That's one of the reasons I'm running by you the different things I'm told by them. Given I don't expect you to have a giant quota to meet, your advice is more... accurate. I expect a decent wait time if I were to enlist, I'm currently looking at the DEP and holding for 03xx contract while working up to the desired fitness level. I have till the end of the month to make my decision on my career path for the next four years or longer, and until the end of the summer to meet it (in terms of preparation). Is that current class size counting civilians (or former civilians I suppose) or just those brought in from the enlisted ranks?

The USNA class of 2020, per the website, accepted 1,100 students out of 17,000 applicants. 65 are prior enlisted Sailors and 9 are prior enlisted Marines.

The USNA class of 2020, per the website, accepted 1,100 students out of 17,000 applicants. 65 are prior enlisted Sailors and 9 are prior enlisted Marines.

I found the webpage with the statistics. So from the looks of it, statistically speaking, my best bet at being appointed would be to attend a year or two of college where I focus on bolstering my application, and volunteer for NAPS.

One final question then I believe I have all my questions answered in regards to this matter. How does determining your MOS work if you attend USNA? If I were enlisted it was a simple pick and choose. But per the terms of the USNA agreement, I already will owe them 5 years of military service upon graduation. Does that make it an open contract or do I still have some say in where I end up?

One final question then I believe I have all my questions answered in regards to this matter. How does determining your MOS work if you attend USNA? If I were enlisted it was a simple pick and choose. But per the terms of the USNA agreement, I already will owe them 5 years of military service upon graduation. Does that make it an open contract or do I still have some say in where I end up?

All Marine Corps officers are assigned MOSes, other than pilots/NFOs, at TBS regardless of commissioning source. Enlisted Marines can sign a contract for a particular MOS, officers cannot. You can google search how that works. My experience with it is very dated.

@Gurahiyi how do you know what you want to do and how you want to do it if you don't know anything about the process or environment? You remind me of some new guys who want to be Rangers/ SF/ Recon, etc. but can't tell you the first thing about what the units do, how to get there, nothing. Then we hear about how we don't know them, they are going to crush the course (that they know nothing about), and we're all wrong about them.

They never return. Not one. Not even for an "I told you so" post.

Sir, with respect, I'm here for a reason. You're right, I don't know a lot about this process. At all. That's why I'm here, reading old threads and articles, asking questions, I'm trying to learn. And yes, as many here have so obviously pointed out on so many threads, you could just use google. Except for the fact that google has no personal experience which it might draw on to offer advice, nor does it look at the goals of individual rather than just provide a vast amount of information. Yes, I could go to the USNA FAQs page USNA Admissions Frequently Asked Questions :: Admissions :: USNA if I chose and findd some basic information there. But nowhere on that webpage or on the admissions statistics will you find anything to suggest what Teufel did even remotely possible. By all factual data, he should not have even been considered for nomination at USNA with his GPA, much less been appointed and graduated from there. However, pulling on his personal experience, and the information shared by others, I am now well aware of just how much a role determination and a strong work ethic might play over pure numbers. I highly doubt google would have been able to tell me that, nor would it have demonstrated ways in which one might convey that character through interviews, recommendations, and NAPS. Please do not assume that I just ignore old threads and do not read them and just ask questions at random. If I had not read the old threads, how would I have known that Teufel was an Academy graduate and thus sought out his advice? By no means did I intend to give off a cocky attitude; I would not have asked for the input of this community if I did not recognize that those here know more than I and were far better informed in these matters. With respect, you are mistaken to assume I know exactly what I want to do. I have suggested courses of actions which I was considering pursuing, but changed them per the advice of others. My initial plan was to enlist in the Corp for 4 years as Recon Marine, leave and attend college, then return through OCS to attempt A&S selection. My current plan is markedly different: attend college for a year or two while focusing on my application and getting into USNA. I think you would agree that is rather large change, and one brought about purely by the input the community has provided. I am almost certain I will not "crush the course". It will in fact, be one of, if not the most, challenging goals in my life up to this point. It is entirely possible that I will be failed out. I am, however, willing to risk that and will put out the effort necessary to prepare myself to make the best possible attempt that I can. I don't know if you're wrong or right about me. I don't know what your opinion is on me to even begin to formulate a response.

Yes, I could go to the USNA FAQs page USNA Admissions Frequently Asked Questions :: Admissions :: USNA if I chose and findd some basic information there.

I'm tracking with the rest of your explanation, and agree with some of it, but this is messed up. You could go find information if you chose? Guys are spending a lot of time to help you and you just admitted that you didn't even try to find basic information.

I won't beat this dead horse, but you aren't doing yourself any favors.

Good luck.

Back