Weather Modification

ryno762

Unverified
Ever since reading Micheal Crichton's "State of Fear" in high school I've followed weather modification. Not closely, just randomly I'll spend a few hours reading about it. Its a fascinating subject and seems to have evolved a lot just in the few years I've followed it. There are even private companies offering services now.

In his book Crichton alludes to the governments desire to control a battlefield's weather in the future. Is this something that SOWT's do or experiment with?

No.

We tried some experiments during the Vietnam War, but haven't (to my knowledge) since.
IIRC there may be treaties against doing this because of unintended results.

No.

We tried some experiments during the Vietnam War, but haven't (to my knowledge) since.
IIRC there may be treaties against doing this because of unintended results.

Remember what happened when Harry Potter tried it, Dumbledore had to haul his ass out of a huge mess of trouble... and the Death Eaters found him and made his life hell for whole books/movies...

Oh well too bad, maybe its something they will do in the future. It would be interesting to use a thunderstorm for cover.

I really hope not - Weather is a complete PITA to work with from large to small scale, what works for one thing completely jacks up something else.

Ever since reading Micheal Crichton's "State of Fear" in high school I've followed weather modification. Not closely, just randomly I'll spend a few hours reading about it. Its a fascinating subject and seems to have evolved a lot just in the few years I've followed it. There are even private companies offering services now.

In his book Crichton alludes to the governments desire to control a battlefield's weather in the future. Is this something that SOWT's do or experiment with?

Are you 24 or 14? I really want to know.

Are you 24 or 14? I really want to know.

24, Is it really so crazy to think that existing tech might be used by the air force? We have mapped the human genome, mass produced electric sports cars, and put a rover on mars. Is it far fetched to think we could nudge weather patterns a bit?

DA SWO, I assume you were trying to point out Murphy's law? Point taken.

Far fetched to try? Probably not, however we are a far far ways away from being able to manipulate the weather directly - Weather is extremely complex with layers on layers that have different conditions on each of them all the way down to the surface, most of those layers we can't currently 'see'. We don't completely understand how things work at each level to be able to accurately depict what would happen if we add this or subtract that. We have a general view of how the atmosphere works but that's only at certain levels. It's better to just figure out what's going to happen and where to a degree, versus trying to play God and fucking things up for everyone.

I was close to manipulating weather once. When I was little (6) I thought I had a pet cloud because I put water in air tight container with a light above it and it became foggy inside.. I just remembered I did that now... figured it was too good not to share. Not many people have had pet clouds. O_o

24, Is it really so crazy to think that existing tech might be used by the air force? We have mapped the human genome, mass produced electric sports cars, and put a rover on mars. Is it far fetched to think we could nudge weather patterns a bit?

DA SWO, I assume you were trying to point out Murphy's law? Point taken.
Ever hear of the "Law of unintended consequences"?

We create a rain storm to stop an armor advance only to create a flash flood that kills hundreds of civilians, potential war crime trial.

I have a friend whose post-war college thesis was advocating weather modification, we agree to disagree.

$100 bucks says the EPA would be butt hurt even if this MAGICAL weather device destroyed ISIL!

They are more interested in ruining small parts of AMERICA one bad choice at a time.....
:wall::-"O_o

In reality the U.S. Military invested in total bullshit bomb detectors that any 10th grade science student could debunk (ADE 651) and psychics (Stargate Project). Freaking psychics.... again something a 10th grade science student could debunk.

Weather modification actually exist, its not for drastic change but it can change the circumstances of weather a bit. Its not some batshit crazy idea like psychics. We can debate the effectiveness of weather modification, but not its existence or the fact that it has some effect. Cloud seeding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With that off my chest I'm going to go back to respectfully asking questions about selection. I just thought if would be interesting if SOWTs had experimented with cloud seeding or something similar.

@ryno762 ... cloud seeding has been used for decades, and while nominally 'weather manipulation' it is just a method to increase the chances of rain falling in a general area. The hit rate for cloud seeding causing rain is just about 50% (and it could be argued that the rain would have occurred in the 'hits' anyway), and in many cases, the precipitants used cause damage to the landscape, whether it rains or not.

A straight wiki reference as your only backup, really?

Water's a great equalizer and our technological edge is diminished by the rain. Can we operate in it? Sure. Better than most nations? Probably. Causing rain wouldn't give us an edge unless you're talking about creating mudslides and other stuff...and that's madness.

Technology to make it dark? "White on rice"....Few nations can go against the US at night. Manipulate rain? Meh. Manipulate the sun? That's the hotness.

Water's a great equalizer and our technological edge is diminished by the rain. Can we operate in it? Sure. Better than most nations? Probably. Causing rain wouldn't give us an edge unless you're talking about creating mudslides and other stuff...and that's madness.

Technology to make it dark? "White on rice"....Few nations can go against the US at night. Manipulate rain? Meh. Manipulate the sun? That's the hotness.

Like for outstanding uses of ironic sarcasm and humor.... a trifecta of Freeness.... :thumbsup:

Back