What if: Jamestown was destroyed

Good points, particularly the Scots. I vaguely recall reading an article some years ago that stated immigration/ settling of the southern colonies was done primarily by the more..."blue collar" (to use a modern term) citizens from the UK. I can't recall if there was a correlation between the lower clases being pushed down south or the agricultural nature of the south attracting that sort of person, but it is interesting to think about. The cynical could argue it was done to serve as a buffer between the Spanish and the French.

Here is a caption off of the Georgia Historical website....Oglethorpe definitely knew what he was doing.

http://www.georgiahistory.com/containers/201

"Scottish immigrants to the colonies in the eighteenth century outnumbered all others (the Germans were second), and of the Lowland, Highland and Ulster Scots, the Highlanders had the reputation of being the best soldiers. Oglethorpe and the Highlanders established the town of Darien along the Altamaha River and the settlement provided a company of infantry to Ft. Frederica on St. Simon's Island. The Darien Scots maintained many of their cultural practices including their reliance on clan leaders, the Gaelic language, and their plaid attire for several years (many continue to celebrate their heritage), and although the Highlanders served Oglethorpe well in defending against the Spanish, some of their most important contributions to the new colony were economic due in large part to the retention and adaptation of the ways of their homeland. Hard work and agricultural experience combined to make Darien a successful settlement. When the Highlanders found most of the soil unsuitable for crop growing, they quickly adapted themselves to timber production and cattle raising. The timber industry in Darien continued to be a staple in the local economy for over 150 years.Eventually distinctions between Scottish immigrants disappeared as they arrived from all areas of Scotland, and Scots as a whole played important roles in the politics, economics, and military of colonial Georgia. Their influence as merchants and planters grew most during the royal period of the colony, the success of which stemmed from accepting the fact that Georgia's economy could not compete with its northern neighbor, South Carolina, without the use of slaves."

I would have to recommend The First Frontier It is really an excellent overview of early exploration, settlement, and issues ranging from disease an slavery to native American population density. Probably the best book I have seen lately on the subject.

There is in depth discussion of Jamestown in the book.

IF Jamestown had failed; there would of been more attempts. Disease was reducing native population drastically and creating the vast empty tracts. The space available for settlement would be there and the pressure of competition for dominance between tribes could create other situations as it did at the Plymouth colony where the colonists were seen as potential allies against other native competitors.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Frontie...1343066552&sr=1-1&keywords=The+first+frontier

Back