Who's Using Something New?

Etype

Special Forces
Verified SOF
Lets get this section going.
Who's using something new/cool? Anyone messing around much with the Storm? Maybe PDAs or Horus reticles?

I have a few things in the works that might be interesting.

The first will probably be on the Savage 110 BA in .300WM:

Savagesr-vi.jpg

You folks make some killer scopes. A couple other guys had them with Horus reticles in SOTIC when I was going through. Awesome setup. Did you folks put a bid in on the PSRs? I hope they don't stick us with another second focal plane Nightforce.
I'd buy one out of pocket if I could only convince the wife to sign off on the price tag. I picked up a 1-4 Accupoint a couple months ago though, so I'm over budget on optics for awhile- women usually don't understand the need for multiples of similar gear.

Yes, we submitted for the PSR Optic, testing is ongoing as far as I know. If I remember correct, one of the requirements was for first focal plane.

So what's the limiting factor on scope length? Is there a way that companies could make their 1-4x's shorter?

I asked someone back at the head shed a few days ago and it has to do with the length of the objective, effective focal length and length of the erector tube. Needs to be the size it is to do what it does, as I understand it. Not much of an explanation but I think they will start dropping scientific formulas on my head if I dig any deeper.

Yeah, we need a compound shadow spear/active duty discount.

Yeah, we need a compound shadow spear/active duty discount.

Yeah what my Brother said...

Seriously though, I am looking for something in the 1-8 power range with an illuminated dot for this next rotation.

I have tinkered with the Horus Blackbird (1.5-8) at our SOT-D quite a few times but the illumination on the dot sucks ass.

Fingered the Luppy 1.1-8 but that price tag is ridiculous...RID-IC-ULOUS I tell ya!

Perused the US Optics site but again, by the time I add the things to the 1.5-6 or 1.8-10 scopes they are past my budget...

May have to settle for a 2.5-10 with a Dr Optics or T1 on a 45 degree offset for CQB-ish work...

Crip

I'm shooting a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x on my carbine right now. I carry it on 1x/100m zero and that works pretty good out to 200 or so, then dial it up 4x/300m zero and that covers me pretty well to 500. It's got some nice features-
- You can slip the scales/zero without tools.
- It has graduated turrets for easy dialing.
- You can run the turrets covered or uncovered for easy dialing.
- It's pretty damn close to true 1x, so you can shoot it both eyes open.
- It has the same tritium/fiber optic illumination system as the ACOG.

I got it from Larue for abou 850 with the mount. Not too bad, but not cheap either.

I'm shooting a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x on my carbine right now. I carry it on 1x/100m zero and that works pretty good out to 200 or so, then dial it up 4x/300m zero and that covers me pretty well to 500. It's got some nice features-<snip>

I have heard good things from quite a few people about the Accupoint. I will have to give it a closer look.

In the past couple weeks I have been looking into the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 with MRad reticle. Looks promising but havent found anyone who can shed light on the intensity level of the illuminated reticle during daylight conditions.

Also, recently picked up an American Defense 30mm mount...thought I would give something other than Larue a try.

Crip

Also, recently picked up an American Defense 30mm mount...thought I would give something other than Larue a try.

Crip

I like the throw lever on the American Defense mounts better than the LaRue.

Lemme know how it holds up.

Back