Will H.

Will2001

Unverified
Hey! My name is Will (as I am sure you figured out by the name of the thread lol). I am a 17 year old current high school student going in to my senior year. The reason I made an account on this forum is because I have aspirations to serve in the military, however I have done so much time doing online research and reading articles from "internet know it all's" and "keyboard warriors" who claim to know everything, but have not spent much time actually gathering information from verified former and current service members. Not saying that the stuff I have read isn't true, but I would like to hear from reputable sources and verified service members so I know 100% that I am getting the best information, and shadow spear seems like the best place on the internet for that.

A little bit about me, I am a to be senior in high school (Class of 2020). I am the current Captain of my high schools wrestling team, an assistant instructor at a Mixed Martial Arts gym, and a small group leader for 6th grade boys at my church.

My overall goal for the military is to be an EOD Officer in the US Navy. I know this is a unique goal, and not a common one, however I have very specific reasons for choosing this career path.

Why EOD? Bombs, explosives, and things that go boom have always intrigued me. The thrill of watching something explode in a big fiery ball is unlike any other. Why the Navy? Because doing things underwater and diving has always been something I enjoyed doing as well, and from the research I have gathered, the Navy is the only branch that does this with their EOD teams.

Why an Officer? I've always been a big picture guy. I like to come up with plans and solutions that will benefit people in the long term (Let's not give the village fish, let's teach the village how to fish type stuff). I have also always found myself to be a good overseer/manager. Being in charge of people is what I find myself best at. With all of these skills and interests combined together, I find that a US Navy EOD Officer is the best fit for me.

I hope to find what I am looking for on ShadowSpear, and I wish everyone else on this website with similar aspirations as me good luck! Thanks for reading!

(By the way, here is a picture of me in my wrestling team photo. I look goofy in it so feel free to make fun of me all you want lol)

- Mod Edit -
PERSEC & to add a few friendly paragraphs

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @WillHawthorn -

Welcome to ShadowSpear and best of success to you here. There are a number of EOD related threads here, and a few long and very valuable posts written by EOD members. Use the search function.

I redacted much of your personal info out of your intro; to include your photo because it identifies your high school. considering what you hope to do as a military career, posting the names of your hometown, your high school, where you work and your last name might not be the best strategy.

You may as well begin protecting your personal security now (PERSEC). What you choose to post going forward is up to you; I only helped this once because you are 17 and might need that first lesson.

To add - I recommend you fill out a 'name change' request under forms as well. (to remove your last name)

Hi @WillHawthorn -

Welcome to ShadowSpear and best of success to you here. There are a number of EOD related threads here, and a few long and very valuable posts written by EOD members. Use the search function.

I redacted much of your personal info out of your intro; to include your photo because it identifies your high school. considering what you hope to do as a military career, posting the names of your hometown, your high school, where you work and your last name might not be the best strategy.

You may as well begin protecting your personal security now (PERSEC). What you choose to post going forward is up to you; I only helped this once because you are 17 and might need that first lesson.

To add - I recommend you fill out a 'name change' request under forms as well. (to remove your last name)
Ah my apologies, didn't realize but in hindsight yeah you're right that probably wasn't entirely smart. Thank you!

Back