Wilson Combat

Manolito

Lewis B. Puller for todays problems!
Verified Military
I need a little help. I own a lot of pistols but not a single 1911 series pistol. I am looking for a custom made pistol that I can get engraved with my Grandsons name and pass it on to him hopefully not to soon though.
I have been looking at theWilson Combat compact or the Bill Wilson carry. I don't know if this is even the right company to go with. I own Glocks, Smith revolvers and autos, and one Sig. If any of you have any ideas I would appreciate it.
Bill

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
There is a few on here that may disagree with me, however I have yet to shoot next to them so the information is like anything else on the internet.

I have a Kimber Custom 2 that is by far the best practical/tactical 1911 I have ever own, and I have owned a lot. Wilson Combat’s are nice, but the accuracy they perform at can be found in a Kimber and normally at half of what the Wilson will run you. In “my” hand my Kimber and I have outperformed Wilson Combats, Night Hawks and one severally badass customized Colt. I recently put my wore out Kimber up against a NIB Night Hawk (Talon), I was shooting both, same ammo and same rest. My $800 Kimber grouped tighter than that $2000+ Night Hawk by an inch. My Kimber was POA/POI that Night Hawk was a hard 6 ‘O’ Clock hold. And all of that after so many people were claiming Night Hawk was the cats ass, yeah well I will stick to KIMBER…

Now if you want something that will punch x’s all day at 50 yards but needs a strip clean every 100 rounds, I would say get a Les Bear.

policemedic

Verified SWAT
There is one thing I like about Kimber. They are supportive of law enforcement, as shown by things like their cooperation with LAPD SIS to develop 3 different models of 1911s with the features spec'd out by the unit. They're neat looking guns with SIS on the slide instead of traditional serrations.

Manolito

Verified Military
Thanks for the input. JAB I hear you loud and clear. This is more of a present than a shooter. Like you have pointed out it is the person using the gun that controls where it hits. I was in a group one time when Willlie Nelson came in and started to jam using a cheap guitar with nylon strings and he made that guitar sound like a 1930 Martin. No equipment will take the place of the hands of an expert.
I am off to look at a few guns today. God I love spoling Grandkids. Next is a drum set to get even with that son I raised. Last year was a police car with three sirens and a cse of costco batteries.
tongue.png

policemedic

Verified SWAT
It's a crappy iPhone pic, but it'll have to do. There is approximately 8 years of holster wear near the muzzle, and I've replaced the recoil spring and shok-bufs on a regular basis. It's got something close to 50K through it, and it remains a tack-driver. I'll likely replace the sights in the near future with a set more easily used for unfucking the gun one-handed. It's always been fed with Wilson 47Ds, and Black Hills JHPs for street use. Nary a problem with this gun.

cybcef

Manolito

Verified Military
Thanks Brother for the picture I went and looked today and I am thinking hard about the Bill Wilson carry model but a little more looking will follow. My son just made Detective he is still walking on air.
Bill

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
The link is the Kimber (Super Carry Pro) The picture is a Kimber (Custom II) with G10 Grips and mag-well ext.

MSRP on the Super Carry is $1500, but you can find them online for $1100-$1200.

MSRP on the Custom II is $800, but I have seen them as low as $650.

lockNload

Unverified
Funny that you said you are looking for a gun to pass on as my dad and I were talking about doing this very thing with a Wilson. He and I are both Glock guys and while I always see that as my go to gun for just about everything, I love the looks of a nice 1911 and have always thought of it as an American icon. I've shot a few Kimbers and think they are nice. It's weird as the first few times I shot it I shot well and really liked it but the past few times not so much. Anyways, my dad and I were thinking of buying a Wilson to pass down as a family heirloom. I like either the Wilson Classic or Protector with a stainless frame and blued barrel. Sexy looking gun. I also like the CQB in OD Green.

Attachments

• wilson 1.jpg
    wilson 1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1
  • wilson-classic.jpg
    wilson-classic.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1

lockNload

Unverified
Nice gun policemedic. Your agency authorizes you to carry a 1911 of your choice? That sure is nice
cool.png

8'Duece

You'll never go wrong with anything Wilson Combat. I think I posted the pics from the Gunbroker page of the Wilson CQB Elite that I recently purchased. I sold an older Wilson Combat 1911 and a couple of my other lesser handguns to purchase the damn thing, with some help from Uncle Sam, but I'm not unhappy with unloading some shitty stuff for a 1911 that I can hand down to my children.

SkrewzLoose

Something Clever
Verified Military
You'll never go wrong with anything Wilson Combat. I think I posted the pics from the Gunbroker page of the Wilson CQB Elite that I recently purchased. I sold an older Wilson Combat 1911 and a couple of my other lesser handguns to purchase the damn thing, with some help from Uncle Sam, but I'm not unhappy with unloading some shitty stuff for a 1911 that I can hand down to my children.

You looking to adopt, 82?