Yale's Warrior Scholar Project In the News

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_ha...ackles-college-life-for-veterans#.UbD33EBJ7B9

ShadowSpear's very own Deathy McDeath is one of the students in this year's Warrior Scholar Project, which just made the local news...

Warrior-Scholar Project tackles college life for veterans

Updated: Thursday, 06 Jun 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 05 Jun 2013, 12:34 PM EDT

• Jeff Valin
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) -- A program being run at Yale University helps veterans make the transition to college life.

Wednesday morning, some vets taking part in that program took a 'time out' to have a little fun with Yale's football team.
"It's actually kind of, like, blowing my mind how wrong I was, when I thought I had everything figured out," said Alexandra Del'romero, USMC.
They're used to playing for much tougher field position, but that doesn't mean the transition to college life, for veterans, is easy.
"Kind of exemplified quite a bit with veterans who do some time in college and go back in to the service or drop out completely because they don't have the right direction," said Matt MacLaine, USMC.
Hence the " Warrior Scholar Project ," a unique and intensive two-week 'boot camp' of sorts, hosted at Yale. The brainchild of Australian Army vet Chris Howell.
"You need to learn how to be a student," said Howell. "You know, you can kick in doors, but you don't know how to read and write, at least at an academic level, yet."
He got a leg up from his collegiate brother at University of Sydney before coming to study at Yale.
"You know, he sent me assignments and things like that, and he also introduced me to a lot of his friends, to help with my social transition to the college environment," said Howell.
How rigorous is the program? Let's just say getting up to play a football friendly at 6:30 a.m. was a welcome respite.
"It's a good way to let off some steam because we've all been working pretty late," said MacLaine.
With the growth of this donor-funded program, now in its second year, there is, of course, the challenge of getting money, but apparently the bigger challenge is getting the word out.
"If people don't know about it, guys can't put in for it, girls can't put in for it, next thing you know, these great programs all fall by the wayside," said Kenny Richardson, Navy & Army.
However, doubling the length to two weeks and nearly tripling the ranks in just year-two, Warrior Scholar is gaining some serious yardage.

Like Mara said, I am currently participating in this program (and am supposed to be writing an essay about Tocqueville's "Democracy in America" right now. Don't tell anyone ;-)). I'll have a full AAR after I finish next week.

Suffice it to say, this is probably preparing me more for college than an entire semester of actual college did.

Okay, so here's the long-awaited writeup on the WSP. Please understand that I'm making up the structure for this as I go along, so the chances of it being coherent and readable are about 55%, +-35%.

Attached below is the course schedule for week 1. We were able to adhere to it about 90% of the time, which was very surprising considering that it was former .mil folks running the show. Anyway, I got to New Haven the night prior to the course start (It was really more like the morning of. Weather delay in Chicago made sure of that). @Marauder06 was nice enough to wait around Hartford airport for the plane to come in. Once I arrived I checked in, got a room key along with swipe card (Most buildings have an RFID system for entering) and goofy nametag. I got to sleep around 3am, with festivities starting around 8 that morning.

nsyBjcL.jpg

First things first: We have to eat. We assembled in the courtyard of Saybrook college (The residential area where we would spend most of our days) and gaggled over to the Morse college cafeteria. It was during this time that I got to meet the eclectic bunch of goons who would make up our class for two weeks. There were a few guys intel guys (Including former Marine intel, like myself, and a guy who Marauder06 used to work with) some grunts, one former Ranger (who wore Ranger hats and t-shirts every day and would not let you forget that rangerrangerrangerranger) and a few others. We met the guy who runs the organization, Chris Howell, a Yale student and former Australian SOF guy who is an oddball but very charismatic.

Apparently, the course is loosely based around a curriculum that his brother (a Yale graduate) developed to get him prepared for the rigors of college work. To that end, he has recruited some of the best political science, economics, and history professors that the school has to offer, and brought them into the program. Folks like retired Professor Donald Kagan, considered the world's foremost authority on the Peloponnesian war, and Pulitzer-Prize winner John Gaddis. Chris has really assembled an all-star team of teachers to force-feed knowledge into our puny heads. And on occasion, it works! I'd also like to take a minute to talk about the volunteer staff that were brought along. All were current Yale students or graduates, and all were impeccable tutors. We even had two guys from the Yale football team on the staff, and you can bet that they were smarter than all of us! Chris even managed to smuggle in Ashley Townshend, who is a teacher at the University of Sydney and member of several defense-related thinktanks. He ran several group discussions as well as acting as tutor during our writing sessions.

So that's enough about the staff. Continuing on after breakfast, we were treated to an hour-long tour of the Yale campus which is, in a word, stunning. The neo-Gothic architecture of each and every building is really a sight to behold. I was a little disappointed to find out that most buildings, despite looking like something built Benedictine monks, were actually less than 100 years old and built by a crazy architect named James Gamble Rogers. The story goes that Rogers dug the old-style Gothic buildings so much that he added things like artificial weathering and smoke damage to make each building appear centuries old. But what an effect! Lunatic or not, the buildings are incredibly impressive and really make you feel like you're on a proper college campus. Mixed in with that are seemingly-unimpressive spaces like the Beinecke Rare Book Library. On the outside it seems like a regular post-mordernist weirdo cube thing. Inside is this:
yDPVrfT.jpg

Those golden walls you're looking at are actually very thin sheets of marble, which are slightly translucent and let in just enough light to give it that beautiful golden glow. It's really very stunning. Oh, and all those books you see in that central column are hundreds of years old. No big deal, really. We finished up our tour with a visit to old campus, which has several statues of prominent Yale alumni, including the statue of Nathan Hale, America's first (and lousiest) spy. Legend has it that the CIA negotiated with Yale for ownership of the statue for several years, and the school absolutely would not budge. So one moonless night, CIA ninjas scaled the campus walls and took a casting of the statue, and ended up making one of their own to put up in Langley. Further research shows that this may be an apocryphal story, but I happen to like it, so I'm sticking to that! Old Campus also has the REAL old Yale buildings (hence the name), including Connecticut Hall, built in 1752. This is the oldest building on campus, and in fact one of the oldest buildings in the state! I think it houses the philosophy department, or something equally worthless. I kid!

Anyway, that's all I care to write for now. Stay tuned for the next installment.

Last edited:
It's good to see this type of program. Way too long in the making for transitioning vets.
I could have used this 20 years ago.
Yale is a nice campus in a shitty city.

Back