Missing/Captured: Bowe Bergdahl

In the early days, we didn't know where he was. We were looking for him EVERYWHERE. Also, once the DoD found out where he was, that information was probably protected at a TS/codeword level, which is something that small-unit tactical commanders would not have had access to. I'm speculating on that part because I, like Murphy, didn't have access to those kinds of decisions and that level of information. Not at the beginning.

What Murphy said may have been true eventually, but as it's presented, it's factually wrong.

As usual, he's full of shit.

Last edited:
Having seen the Air Tasking Order, I am inclined to ignore Mr. Murphy’s post. I’ve said it before, we stopped the entire air war so those a/c could be fragged where he went AWOL. I also know, because of the above, XCAS was about the only thing down South, so those units would only see air support in the most dire of circumstances. I was told some commanders in RC-South told their units to hunker down and not travel, but that I cannot confirm.

Assuming Murphy is correct, someone forgot to tell AFCENT when it drafted ATO’s for that period.

Wait a second. Commanders weren't approving CONOPs in 2009? Bergdahl went full shithead on June 30, 2009. The summer fighting season against a resurgent Taliban was in full swing and commanders were denying CONOPs? The summer fighting season and units were cooling their heels at the FOBs/ COPs? What CONOPs are you writing/ what unit(s) were doing this to support Murphy's assertion? You had a bunch of clowns submitting CONOPs which were denied and suddenly those same idiots have their CONOPs approved because they were "looking" for Bergdahl? A bunch of risk adverse commanders suddenly rubber stamped Powerpoint trash because it had Bergdahl somewhere in there? During the summer fighting season in what would be the deadliest year of the war to date, a year that saw McChrystal take over and immediately ask for for like 30k troops? And units were sitting back at the base because their CONOPs were denied?

Yeah, nah.

I'm curious to hear what folks that served with him in the 75th RR and 5th SFG have to say about him.

I've seen two of his pieces that are absolutely full of shit - with much of the "correct" information in both peices being nothing less than near public knowldeg that is far from the result of connected investigative reporting - so I can only assume that much of his other investigative pieces are both ill informed and embellished to sound more like test writing for one of his operator fiction books...

I've seen two of his pieces that are absolutely full of shit - with much of the "correct" information in both peices being nothing less than near public knowldeg that is far from the result of connected investigative reporting - so I can only assume that much of his other investigative pieces are both ill informed and embellished to sound more like test writing for one of his operator fiction books...

"Investigative reporter" in his dreams. BTDT and after DHS my wife headed up an investigative media unit, and still does. His stuff smells. What's correct is open source, some of it deep open source, but available if you dig...the rest is ego-driven.

You guys should look at the hit job he did on SGM Chuck Ritter.

I don’t know if he did anything about it recently, but last I looked he refused to redact the story, even in light of extremely compelling evidence indicating that he was once again completely wrong.

I don’t know if he did anything about it recently, but last I looked he refused to redact the story, even in light of extremely compelling evidence indicating that he was once again completely wrong.

Well, from some of the things I've seen him post on line - he is a proud Biden voter - so who knows - maybe he just knows stuff the rest of us just cant comprehend.

I struggle with him some. I have read about these things, lack of integrity, making stuff up, etc. I also enjoy his podcast and the people he has on. Ironically, Ward Carroll just had him on his YT/podcast.

I'm just jealous - because I'm not smart enough or motivated enough to make money by embellishing stories about my time in the Army or exploiting other service-members for profit on social media.
Jealous I say.

But seriously - there was this one time, when I was still in, I went to this one place and I did some SERIOUSLY cool shit.
It was pretty cool - I promise.
Cooler than some of you might think.

Now, please send me some money to hear more of my stories...

I don't want to derail this thread, but in lieu of starting a new one, and related to the above...

Part 1:
Part 1: U.S. Special Forces Soldier Smeared By Reporter Who Did Not Provide Critical Update
What made it worse was how the reporter, Jack Murphy, did not provide an update on the original piece when the Army’s investigation into the allegations cleared Ritter’s name despite being told multiple times. Murphy formerly served as a Green Beret.

Part 2:
Part 2: Smeared Special Forces Soldier Says He Learned How Unethical The Media Can Be

It's one thing to get a story wrong. I get that it can happen. It's totally another thing to refuse to retract it in light of overwhelming new evidence.

It's shitty to do a smear piece of a fellow vet, especially when it's based on hearsay. It's criminal--or it ought to be--to allow the smear to continue. I hope SGM Ritter sues the shit out of him.

I don't want to derail this thread, but in lieu of starting a new one, and related to the above...

Part 1:
Part 1: U.S. Special Forces Soldier Smeared By Reporter Who Did Not Provide Critical Update

Part 2:
Part 2: Smeared Special Forces Soldier Says He Learned How Unethical The Media Can Be

It's one thing to get a story wrong. I get that it can happen. It's totally another thing to refuse to retract it in light of overwhelming new evidence.

It's shitty to do a smear piece of a fellow vet, especially when it's based on hearsay. It's criminal--or it ought to be--to allow the smear to continue. I hope SGM Ritter sues the shit out of him.

Not to mention you have SF on SF violence taking place if Murphy is going after another 18 series.

Why hasn't Murphy had his tab revoked? Not just for this, but a list of other offenses?

Not to mention you have SF on SF violence taking place if Murphy is going after another 18 series.

Why hasn't Murphy had his tab revoked? Not just for this, but a list of other offenses?

I’ve never heard of someone who is out having their tab revoked. He has been out over a decade. It is not that easy to revoke a tab. I also haven’t heard anyone say anything bad about Murphy from his TIS.

Back