11c and Sniper School

CPrice243

Verified Military
First off, I am a fresh new private in the Army, just now processing into my first station, so I know Sniper school is but a dream at this point. But, it is one of my dreams, and I am hoping to have someone clear something up about it for me.

My question is, is it even possible for an 11c such as myself to get a slot in sniper school? I have heard that it is possible, but difficult. I have also heard that 11c cant even be selected for it, and that I would have to reclass to 11b. And I have also heard that 11c goes to sniper school pretty regularly, as long as they can shoot well.

I am just hoping someone can clear up for me if I am going to have to reclass to get a shot at this goal or not. Thanks in advance guys!

Yes you can go, yes it is harder as a 11c. The best you can do, be a total stud, Max on your APFT & Weapon quals. Make it well known you want to go to the sniper section and sniper school. Keep in mind that you are an 11c and need to fill a slot in your unit. So focus on being the best you can in that capacity. If your work your ass off, perform better than your peers and remind your leaders you want to be a sniper, it will happen eventually. You should not have to reclass but if you get tired of humping around all that weight its nothing to get in a pine company/platoon.

Good luck.

My advice, for what its worth... worry about your job only until you are proficient to skill level 3 (even if you are only an E-4), get WLC under your belt, know Infantry (11B) tactics and techniques to skill level 3, be able to max the APFT and then some (go for a true Battle Fitness test to really be ready) and have your marksmanship dead spot on with iron sights to 300m... then put in for Sniper School, the above list of skills should take about 3-4 years.

From ATRRS SNIPER Course Prerequisites:

STUDENTS MUST BE ABLE TO PERFORM AND PASS A 25M GROUPING EXERCISE WITH A M16A1/2/3, OR M4 USING IRON SIGHTS.

-Students must be of Combat Arms MOS in the rank of PFC and above; however, only MOS 11B and 18-series MOS will be awarded the B4 ASI upon graduation; as per DA PAM 611-21, CH 12, page 911, Table 12-2.
-Students must be on active duty, in the Reserve Component, or National Guard.
-Must have a good performance record with no history of alcohol or drug abuse.
-Must NOT BE HEARING IMPAIRED.
-Must be a volunteer and be recommended by their Commander.
-Must be in excellent physical condition; able to obtain a 70 percent or better in each event of the APFT for their age group.
-Must have corrected vision to 20/20.
-Must have a GT score of 100 or higher; non-waiverable.
-Must not have a record of disciplinary action.
-Must qualify expert with the M16A2 Rifle (M4 Carbine) within six (6) months of course attendance.
-Must pass psychological evaluaton (MMPI/CPI) conducted under the direction of a qualified Psychologist.
-Must meet standards of AR 600-9 at the time of in-processing.
-Must have 1 year retainability from course end date, non-waiverable.

For the time being I am giving 11c 110%. I actually really enjoy being a chuck, but I know that somewhere down the line I wanted to do something like Sniper school. This question was mostly just to make sure it was even possible as a chuck, not to say I was doing it right away :) thanks for the info and advice guys. As a young private I really appreciate you guys and all the help you are with all of my questions!

CPrice243, you want to be a super badass sniper? Here's how to do it-

Step 1-
Be a PT stud, know your job better than all of your peers.
Step 2-
Make E4 in 18 months.
Step 3-
Go to selection, become an 18B. 11C, 13B, and 13F are the best feeder MOSs for 18B IMHO.
Step 4-
Go to SFSC- desired endstate attained.

You'll be a much better sniper, a better soldier, and you can do it all in less than 5 years.

Back