12.7mm Gatling Gun for ARH

Ravage

running up that hill
U.S. ARH to Get Gatling Gun
By kris osborn

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - The U.S. Army has decided to arm the Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter (ARH) with the GAU-19/A, a 185-pound, three-barrel Gatling gun by General Dynamics Armament and Technical Products (GD ATP).

The U.S. Army has decided to equip a recon helicopter with the GAU-19 Gatling gun. (Contributed) A rapid-fire gun is crucial for a scout helicopter, which is likely to encounter fast-emerging enemies, an Army official said.

The Army is negotiating a price for the first 490 GAU-19/As, which can fire 1,300 12.7mm rounds a minute. The weapon will be externally mounted.

"We are working internally on some projects to make the gun lighter," said John Binkley, GD ATP's senior director of business development, at the AUSA Winter symposium here..

Developed by GD in the 1980s, the GAU-19/A is being used in Turkey and on Black Hawk helicopters in Colombia by counter-narcotics forces, Binkley said.

GD ATP will build the barrels for the U.S. Army's GAU-19/A at its facility in Saco, Maine.

The ARH, a replacement for the OH-58 Kiowa Warrior, is expected to field by 2011.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=3396252&c=AME&s=LAN

022808dn_gatling.JPG

The U.S. Army has decided to equip a recon helicopter with the GAU-19 Gatling gun. (Contributed)

Looks like a .50 cal with a blank adaptor on it.

I wonder why this instead of one of the miniguns that are already in the inventory?

The current miniguns are 7.62.... Maybe we can trade in the mini gun on our trucks for the .50 call one...:)

Back