12 boys and soccer coach found alive in Thai caves after 9 days

They are almost FOUR MILES inside the cave? Wow.

I used to do a lot of caving. That's a looooong way to go.

Here's an image showing a little more topography.

While I used to dive, haven't done so in roughly 5 years, I wonder if instead of using tanks if they could just run a line from a compressor to a regulator directly through those tight areas? Yes, you can remove a tank and either pull it or push it through but given the age of those involved, I would rather not have to have them think about removing a tank and getting it through safely whatever areas._102319258_thai_cave_rescue_v2_inf640-nc.png

Wouldn't digging down prove to be just as risky of an endeavor? Not to mention that's a 1/2 mile going down, only 2 open pit mines in the world go that deep and those are miles wide to help with room.

Are there any divers on the board that would be able to offer information? I remember @DC but I haven't seen him post in a long time.

Don't forget that back in 2010 in Chile they rescued miners down 800m. Chile-Mineros-Como+sacaran+a+los+mineros.jpg

Sinking a rescue shaft would have issues, they generally use a pilot hole, when they enlarge that hole, cuttings from the drill or shaft borer fall down the hole, in Chile the miners bogged those cuttings out (500kg an hour). The kids would struggle to keep that up for any length of time.

....sigh.....

Trapped Thai football team are still too weak to attempt to leave | Daily Mail Online

The young football team trapped underground in Thailand are still too weak to attempt to leave their flooded cave with two boys and their coach suffering from exhaustion, it has emerged.

Rescuers are beginning to pump oxygen into the chamber in Chiang Rai, northern Thailand, where the 12 boys and their coach have been trapped for 12 days.

A medical assessment has found that it is still too dangerous to try to move the youngsters, an unnamed source in the Thai Navy Seals told CNN.

Two boys and the 25-year-old coach are suffering with exhaustion through malnutrition, according to a new doctor's report.

It comes with rescuers facing a race against the weather to save the 12 children as it emerged volunteers accidentally pumped water back into the caves.

A former US Navy SEAL has warned of fatalities if the young Thai footballers have to dive their way out of the cave network.
Cade Courtley says such an attempt should be the last option for the trapped youngsters - because they have 'time on their hands'.

Courtley told CNN he had thousands of hours of experience operating in 'zero visibility' water as part of a special diving unit.

He questioned why the idea of diving the boys out was being considered when high powered pumps existed that were capable of draining a thousand gallons of water a minute.

He said: 'In my experience I would consider this stable and non life threatening which means we have the luxury of time - and with that time we are able to do a risk anaylsis on all of our options.

'I keep hearing the option of dive them out and I think that should be the very last option.'

The former US Navy SEAL added: 'I hate to say this but some of these kids are going to die in an effort to try and bring them out using dive equipment.'

"...as it emerged volunteers accidentally pumped water back into the caves."

That's just great.

Ask the Dutch. They've got some of the most powerful water pumps in the world.

The one question I have not seen answered is, are these folk in an area considered 'stable' where further rain will not flood the chamber they are in? That is the nightmare scenario I keep envisioning; along with the rescue workers who are bonding with these kids and would refuse to leave them....

Fucking shit situation.

And then very likely to panic which causes a diver to use up their air very quickly. Of course this is speculation.
And only reenforces why taking kids with zero swimming/dive ability thru a minimum 5 hour return trip should be completely off the table.

They could possibly use full face masks and have replacement air tanks stationed along the escape route, but the lack of experience and the extremely claustrophobic conditions combined seem very daunting. I am glad I'm not in charge of this op.

Last edited:
Back