160th SOAR (A) compound dedicated to former commander

Ravage

running up that hill
http://www.soc.mil/UNS/Releases/2012/May/120522-01.html

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. (USASOC News Service, May 22, 2012) – Soldiers of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) officially dedicated their compound in honor of retired Gen. Bryan “Doug” Brown during a naming ceremony May 14 at Fort Campbell, Ky.
The regiment, who previously referred to their base as “the 160th compound,” bestowed the name dedication upon Brown after a thorough approval process. Col. John Thompson, regiment commander, 160th SOAR (A), hailed the dedication to Brown as an honor long overdue to a pioneer in Night Stalker operations.
“Gen. Brown was at the forefront of perfecting night vision goggle flight, mastering the skills and technology of mission planning, and modernizing helicopters required to perform what would seem impossible missions,” he said.
Brown, a former regiment commander, looked upon the gathered crowd and spoke not about the honor of receiving a compound dedicated in his name but about the Soldiers who made the organization what it is today.
“Although I’m inherently proud to have my name on this compound, this place was not built by just me,” he said. “This place was built by people who will never have their name on this wall. If the sight of my name will make people stop and think about the history of the people, then I’m honored to represent all the great Night Stalker who will never quit.”
The naming dedication served as the kick-off event for the annual “Week of Night Stalker Activities.”

b698ig.jpg

From Left to Right: Col. John Thompson, regiment commander, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne), retired Gen. Bryan “Doug” Brown, and Maj. Gen. Kevin W. Mangum, commanding general, United States Army Special Operations Aviation Command unveil the new sign greeting visitors to the home of the 160th SOAR (A). (160th Special Operation Aviation Regiment photo)

I'm in the process of reading Naylors book "Not a Good day to die", and it paints a slightly different picture of Gen. Brown - one of a man who preferred to micro manage entire operations, and not very much in favour of joint operations with conventional units as well as sharing intelligence.
Also up to the point as being opposed to the 'maverick' style of operations that were conducted by Blabbers AFO Teams.

The nominees for this year's "Most Effective Use of Smilies" award are:
Swill for the 160th renaming thread...."

That's awesome, I had the honor of serving under Major Brown in C company 160th SOAG (A) in the late 80's!!!

Back