1911 build

The rail gun is the heat isn't it!! This is really good advice fellas, I really appreciate it. I didn't think the polishing job would cost too much, I'm certainly not willing to pay an arm and a leg for it.

View attachment 4922

My Son was issued this Friday however he still doesn't know if he has made the grade into SWAT yet. The end of November will tell but he is pretty on the jaz over the weapon.
Bill

Congratulations to your son.

That's a sweet looking gun. Kimber is pretty good about working with an agency and customizing their pistols. I like the SBSDxxx serial number, that's a nice touch.

I completely agree with JAB except for a few points.

a) I think any fighting gun needs night sights. JAB's mostly right when he says activating a pistol light with enable you to see the sights against the brightly lit target, but there are times you will be running the gun without a light, or activating the light will either not be helpful or will simply be tactically unsound. If the gun isn't going to wear adjustable sights, there isn't a really good reason not to put tritium sights on it. YMMV. The only thing I don't like about my Wilson is the fact that their Combat Pyramid sights don't lend themselves well to easy one-handed slide manipulation, and Novaks are the same way (of course, it doesn't bother me enough to change them; they're dead nuts on). If the ability to easily rack the slide one-handed is critical to you, you might want to look at something like Heinie Ledge sights and have Tool Tech install tritium tubes for you. Just a thought.
b) If the gun is reliable out of the box, I would probably not bother paying someone to throat/polish the gun. However, if I wanted it done, I'd give it to a smith to do rather than do it myself. Again, YMMV.
c) FWIW, there are 18# Wilson Combat springs in my Wilson, S&W, and Para 1911s. All run like scalded dogs.

My best advice is get the gun, take off all the packing grease, FrogLube it, and break it in. Once that's done, proceed as JAB has suggested.

Oh yeah, thanks for making me look at the Rail Gun...now I want one :-|
One handed slide manipulation? Am I the only one who thinks this is a silly thing to think about with what Teuful waas looking for? Who really needs this, except for a one handed man. Does anyone really plan on being one armed? I know I don't. I guess I am weird for not having a contingency for that. I guess I would just throw the gun at someone.

One handed slide manipulation? Am I the only one who thinks this is a silly thing to think about with what Teuful waas looking for? Who really needs this, except for a one handed man. Does anyone really plan on being one armed? I know I don't. I guess I am weird for not having a contingency for that. I guess I would just throw the gun at someone.

Nobody plans to be one armed, but sometimes gunfights don’t go the way we planned. I train in one handed operation of both side arm and long gun, I believe it is a must and encourage it for anyone carrying a weapon for a profession. Police medic is spot on with his post regarding have good sights (metal) with a good ledge (rear sight squared off in the top of slide) to be able to rack the slide on, either it be a Tap Rack or a reload.

ETA: It may not be what Teuful needs to worry about or what he was thinking about with sights, but you never know these days. I fully agree with PM on his post regarding sights, and thats why these threads are soooooo damn good. Things I focus on are not always "everything" that should be focused on, and so on. Same goes for the tid-bits everyone brongs into these threads. I really was not thinking one handed ops and the need to have a good rear sight, but PM nailed it on the head and he is very right.

Nobody plans to be one armed, but sometimes gunfights don’t go the way we planned. I train in one handed operation of both side arm and long gun, I believe it is a must and encourage it for anyone carrying a weapon for a profession. Police medic is spot on with his post regarding have good sights (metal) with a good ledge (rear sight squared off in the top of slide) to be able to rack the slide on, either it be a Tap Rack or a reload.
I probably could manipulate my Glocks slide one handed, but I don't find that important. Maybe I am not planning accordingly for my gunfights. If someone is in my home it is not going to matter. As it won't at the range. That is my point. I think Teuful is looking for a personal pistol.

I'm not a pistol guy. If I get a pistol and i'm forced to use it non dominate hand, what does it really matter how I rack it? Even if i fuck the sights up it's a split seconf life of death thing right? Big deal?

I probably could manipulate my Glocks slide one handed, but I don't find that important. Maybe I am not planning accordingly for my gunfights. If someone is in my home it is not going to matter. As it won't at the range. That is my point. I think Teuful is looking for a personal pistol.

Yeah edited my post before I saw this one…

But I understand what you are saying; I also fully understand PM’s post. I am not saying I would sacrifice a weapons function for one handed operation, but looking at it I would try to accommodate it if I am making changes.

One handed operation of the slide: catching the rear sight on the belt or an object to rack the slide fully and aggressively to the rear in order to cycle the weapon. This could be used if you can’t reach the slide lock, or the slide is fully forward, or you need to cycle out a misfire, ect, ect. Also think if you were shot in the shoulder, arm, or hand, and you lost the ability to raise your arm, use your hand or whatever. Knowing a fast and efficient technique to continue the fight would be helpful to staying alive and neutralizing the threat.

One handed operation of the slide: catching the rear sight on the belt or an object to rack the slide fully and aggressively to the rear in order to cycle the weapon. This could be used if you can’t reach the slide lock, or the slide is fully forward, or you need to cycle out a misfire, ect, ect. Also think if you were shot in the shoulder, arm, or hand, and you lost the ability to raise your arm, use your hand or whatever. Knowing a fast and efficient technique to continue the fight would be helpful to staying alive and neutralizing the threat.
Oh I know what you are saying. I think that at the point my life was threatened to the point I need to one handedely rack my pistol I would seriously throw my pistol, lol. Or transition to my one good arm. If you are practicing one handed racks, I think you have too much range time.

This is precisely why I asked if the pistol was for paper or people. If it were meant to be used exclusively for IDPA, PPC, or some other strictly range activity my recommendations would have been totally different. But he said the gun could be used defensively, and to me that means it has to have certain characteristics and must not have others.

I train my guys in one-handed long-gun and pistol manipulations. They hate it. I hate it. But we do it. There's a significant body of experience drawn from gunfights (both mil and LE) that tells us people sometimes lose the ability to use one arm or the other, and must adjust fire and drive on. Being in the middle of a gunfight and shot in the right arm is not the time to realize you can't unfuck your jammed pistol (or rifle) with your support hand, or draw the pistol from its holster, access a BUG, etc.

Oh I know what you are saying. I think that at the point my life was threatened to the point I need to one handedely rack my pistol I would seriously throw my pistol, lol. Or transition to my one good arm. If you are practicing one handed racks, I think you have too much range time.

LMAO

You can never have enough range time!!! Never!}:-)

Well until my wife says no buying ammo this month, but by then it was already too late… lol Shooting for me is like hot chicks for other, it’s my love.:thumbsup:

This is precisely why I asked if the pistol was for paper or people. If it were meant to be used exclusively for IDPA, PPC, or some other strictly range activity my recommendations would have been totally different. But he said the gun could be used defensively, and to me that means it has to have certain characteristics and must not have others.

I train my guys in one-handed long-gun and pistol manipulations. They hate it. I hate it. But we do it. There's a significant body of experience drawn from gunfights (both mil and LE) that tells us people sometimes lose the ability to use one arm or the other, and must adjust fire and drive on. Being in the middle of a gunfight and shot in the right arm is not the time to realize you can't unfuck your jammed pistol (or rifle) with your support hand, or draw the pistol from its holster, access a BUG, etc.
Well I don't think I am the only one that would have a horrible time drawing my pistol from its holster with my left hand. I have even less practive with fixing a malfunction. I have even less with my personally owned defensive pistol. Maybe I am a shit bag. But I don't have enough range time for that. I am not saying I disagree with training, but with the limited time I have to train with my civ pistol, I choose to be accurate so that the 2 shots I get off on a fuck face home intruder go into the balls and face respectively.

LMAO

You can never have enough range time!!! Never!}:-)

Well until my wife says no buying ammo this month, but by then it was already too late… lol Shooting for me is like hot chicks for other, it’s my love.:thumbsup:

If I buy that Rail Gun, I'll have plenty of range time because she'll kick me out and I'll be living out of a hooch at the gun club :-|

I would certainly try to blame Teuful, but she won't tolerate a cross word about a Marine so I'd just be fucked.

Well I don't think I am the only one that would have a horrible time drawing my pistol from its holster with my left hand. I have even less practive with fixing a malfunction. I have even less with my personally owned defensive pistol. Maybe I am a shit bag. But I don't have enough range time for that. I am not saying I disagree with training, but with the limited time I have to train with my civ pistol, I choose to be accurate so that the 2 shots I get off on a fuck face home intruder go into the balls and face respectively.

You can do dry drills with racking the slide, drawing, reloading, ect. Takes 10 minutes of you life, maybe once a week....You could practice while your reading here on SS.;)

I'm not a pistol guy. If I get a pistol and i'm forced to use it non dominate hand, what does it really matter how I rack it? Even if i fuck the sights up it's a split seconf life of death thing right? Big deal?

It doesn't matter, though some methods are more efficient and some sights are more suited to the maneuver. I've used the rear sight off my thigh, a holster, a belt and my boot heel. I've used the front sight, which I don't recommend (particularly with Glocks) but any port in a storm. You can use the corner of the ejection port as well.

It's not so much a matter of fucking up the sights as the sights not being conducive to the maneuver. Slick and smooth sights like Novaks don't lend themselves well to the move because they slide off the item you're using for leverage. On the other hand, sights like the Heinie Ledge or Trijicon HD work like a dream. The caveat here is that it is entirely possible to break the plastic sights on Glocks doing this (done it, seen it).

If you unfuck the gun and mangle or break off the front sight in the process at very close range, no sweat. But at distance...

The other point is while your technique doesn't really matter, you need to be familiar with one or two so you don't have to invent one on the fly.

Back