1911 build

The beauty of TTP's and tools for the toolbox: Some guys may see their value, others may not. Personally, I like having more tools than I need, but Big Boy Rules apply. We all "pays our money and takes our chances."

The beauty of TTP's and tools for the toolbox: Some guys may see their value, others may not. Personally, I like having more tools than I need, but Big Boy Rules apply. We all "pays our money and takes our chances."

I think one of the worse things to happen, in the middle of a project, you need a specialized tool that you do not have. They can make a 5 minute job, 5 minutes, with out them the job can be much longer, the part ruined, or damaged. Living rural, I tend to stock up on consumables too. A trip into town is costly in both time and money, a ten cent part becomes very expensive. That has a little down side to it.

You can do dry drills with racking the slide, drawing, reloading, ect. Takes 10 minutes of you life, maybe once a week....You could practice while your reading here on SS.;)
Big 2X....................... Don't like the news reported on TV, Drill time. Practice transition, Sight alignment, There are all kinds of things one can do to improve trigger movement, tons of stuff one can with having the make the pistol go bang. Speer use to sell, plastic cases with plastic bullets powered only by the primer for indoor shooting. Maybe not the best choice, but better than nothing.

One Agency that I worked for, I lived in the county and shooting was never a issue. I would shoot 500 rds per month for pistol. One reason why off hand is difficult, it is never used. So it has to catch up to "how many years old you are" in learning process that the dominant hand has. Eyes can be trained too, though a little more care is needed, not to over work the "lazy eye" at first. Doing so is like getting a Freddie to run a 5 min mile (probably kill him). I live rural now... well I have no excuse. I probably have a month or so to get up to speed before the Zombies make it out this far from their feeding holes (cities)

Big 2X....................... Don't like the news reported on TV, Drill time. Practice transition, Sight alignment, There are all kinds of things one can do to improve trigger movement, tons of stuff one can with having the make the pistol go bang. Speer use to sell, plastic cases with plastic bullets powered only by the primer for indoor shooting. Maybe not the best choice, but better than nothing.

One Agency that I worked for, I lived in the county and shooting was never a issue. I would shoot 500 rds per month for pistol. One reason why off hand is difficult, it is never used. So it has to catch up to "how many years old you are" in learning process that the dominant hand has. Eyes can be trained too, though a little more care is needed, not to over work the "lazy eye" at first. Doing so is like getting a Freddie to run a 5 min mile (probably kill him). I live rural now... well I have no excuse. I probably have a month or so to get up to speed before the Zombies make it out this far from their feeding holes (cities)
I am one of those strange ambidextrous folks who shoots better off hand than strong hand. lol. I should be left handed but for some reason am right handed. If I didn't have so much muscle memory right handed I would shoot lefty. I actually forgot my glasses in SUT and had to shoot left handed to qualify(my right eye used to be really bad before LASIK). I shot better.

I am one of those strange ambidextrous folks who shoots better off hand than strong hand. lol. I should be left handed but for some reason am right handed. If I didn't have so much muscle memory right handed I would shoot lefty. I actually forgot my glasses in SUT and had to shoot left handed to qualify(my right eye used to be really bad before LASIK). I shot better.

Maybe in being ambidextrous, you are more of a lefty than a righty. That was my issue. As a kid I play base ball and batted/pitched both left and right. At that time, it was easier being a righty because that was how most people thought things. I was also not the best athlete. When I went to HS, I thought, I should focus more on one side, maybe I might be a better athlete then. For ambidextrous people, they have choices that are easier than a very dominant one sided, who just has to work harder to get the off hand to perform well enough.

Maybe in being ambidextrous, you are more of a lefty than a righty. That was my issue. As a kid I play base ball and batted/pitched both left and right. At that time, it was easier being a righty because that was how most people thought things. I was also not the best athlete. When I went to HS, I thought, I should focus more on one side, maybe I might be a better athlete then. For ambidextrous people, they have choices that are easier than a very dominant one sided, who just has to work harder to get the off hand to perform well enough.
Yeah my mom told me when I was a child I always did everything left handed and she would put things in my right hand(fork, crayon, whatever). I bat better left handed. I am left eye dominant. I guess I am just weird.

I have never read an after action report where the military analyzed shooting hands and pistols. The FBI and several other agencys have and found that the hand holding the weapon often becomes the target for the opposition. This results in the dominate hand becoming disabled. Practicing one handed reload and racking the slide is part of my CCW instructors course. I am totally left handed but I shoot right handed and I think it has to do with my dominate eye. I can tell you at my age this skill is very perishable.

Just to toss some tid-bits out there…

My experience in training thousands of soldiers is that most right handed people are left eye dominate and most left handed are right eye dominate. I have also found that the eye dominate “issue” is actually a non-issue, in that unless there is an actual vision impairment, either eye can in fact bring the sights into focus.

I have also found that most new shooters will actually shoot better in their less dominate hand due to focusing on the basic fundamentals. I have also found that it easier to train a person with bad habits to shoot better by use of their non dominate hand (forces them to apply the basics with a hand they have not established bad habits and makes it easier to apply it to the hand with bad habits).

There are a few studies regarding hands and arms (especially the actual weapon) being shot in close quarters engagements. It is primarily due to people focusing on the perceived threat which is the actual weapon it’s self. At close range you will see the weapon of your opponent and will actually engage the weapon vs the person holding it. I have experienced this a bunch in sims training…

Back