19th SFG(A)

busyworks

Verified Military
So after a few years of contracting/private investigations, and bugging all of you about info on everything from Intel to FO/JTAC gigs, I'm finally getting back into service.

I'm going to Utah to swear in with the 19th SFG(A). I'll be either going 25C, or 35P depending on my ability to obtain a TS(SCI). Feels good to get back into service in some capacity.

Anyone know of any specific detachments that may be better than others? I'm still lost in the sauce as to where I could drill as a 25C/35P. The recruiters are being vague.

B Co 2/19 is very close to me (I'm in the Metro Detroit area), but I do not believe they have support positions at that level.

Last edited:
i was in your same boat: close to a SF Co but far from SPT Co. I occasionally drilled with the SF guys but majority of drills were with SPT guys.

One thing to keep in mind, the 35-series at Draper and Denver have access to National level SCIFs AND real-world missions. If you want to be a good MI soldier, Draper is the BEST location hands down because of their access to both systems AND professional full-time IC civilians who can teach, coach, and mentor.

I'm hoping for 35P, but my background isn't exactly spotless. Other than being most interested in that job, 35 series also have the travel allowance which would make cross country travel much easier for me in my current situation.

That's some good Information that you wouldn't know....unless you already knew 8-) Thanks! I'll shoot for one of those locations if I can land that gig.

i was in your same boat: close to a SF Co but far from SPT Co. I occasionally drilled with the SF guys but majority of drills were with SPT guys.

One thing to keep in mind, the 35-series at Draper and Denver have access to National level SCIFs AND real-world missions. If you want to be a good MI soldier, Draper is the BEST location hands down because of their access to both systems AND professional full-time IC civilians who can teach, coach, and mentor.

Me: "My options are Lejeune or Quantico. Wow, how am I going to pick!"

You: "There is a job where you can do real-world operations FROM DENVER."

Me: ……… *soft sobs*

Hey, I grew up on Lejeune. Then when I was in, I was stationed there as well. So much for "join the Navy, see the world".
Ah, ye olde Lejuene. I will say though......be glad you weren't stationed at Cherry Point.

THAT explains your misguided love for Duke. :ROFLMAO:

I will not stoop so low to dignify that comment with a response

😉

@busyworks , I did two 2-week ATs at Cherry Point when I was in the reserves, once as a corpsman assigned to Pedro with VMH-1, which I loved, and the second after I got my commission I was assigned to the hospital, which I hated. Hated. Hated. And who the freak puts a BOQ less than a quarter mile from the end of the runway??

I will not stoop so low to dignify that comment with a response

😉

@busyworks , I did two 2-week ATs at Cherry Point when I was in the reserves, once as a corpsman assigned to Pedro with VMH-1, which I loved, and the second after I got my commission I was assigned to the hospital, which I hated. Hated. Hated. And who the freak puts a BOQ less than a quarter mile from the end of the runway??
Yep, Cherry Point is no bueno. Harriers are always right overhead and loud as fuck all the barracks were supposed to be condemned, there is barely anything on the base itself, and there's nothing going on in the immediate area. Luckily I spent most of my time deployed or on workups. I'd go crazy sitting there for 3 years.

Yep, Cherry Point is no bueno. Harriers are always right overhead and loud as fuck all the barracks were supposed to be condemned, there is barely anything on the base itself, and there's nothing going on in the immediate area. Luckily I spent most of my time deployed or on workups. I'd go crazy sitting there for 3 years.

Downtown New Bern ain't bad, though.

Me: "My options are Lejeune or Quantico. Wow, how am I going to pick!"

You: "There is a job where you can do real-world operations FROM DENVER."

Me: ……… *soft sobs*

There are tons of reserve opportunities in the SOF community for the Navy (maybe even Marine Corps) in Virginia if that's where you are limited to.

Just a little update for everyone. Went through MEPS in Utah, got everything approved, but they weren't willing to sign me as 35 series due to a lesser version of a DUI from 4 years ago. I was not willing to commute to Utah from MI without the travel reimbursement that 35/18 series qualify for.

Got in contact with some of the other support detachments, but there were no openings for any of my desired MOS' at the time. I took another contract in the meantime, and am currently sitting in Afghanistan.

Recently the unit contact/recruiter for a support detachment in FL reached out to me. He said that they have both 25C, and 35N open. He's their training NCO, and said that he could get me multiple schools if I was physically capable of passing them.

I'm considering taking the 35N slot, but I am hesitant because I know that they also could be assigned to a SOT-B, or some other position locked up in a SCIF. I am also worried about progression. Are 35Ns more likely to be forced into a staff position earlier on than their 35P counterparts? I am also having a hard time understanding the differences between the two jobs outside of the language capabilities that 35Ps have. Seems like they are almost interchangeable outside of that, but I am not in the know.

Just wondering if any of you SIGINT types could chime in for the benefit of myself, and others. Does anyone know how 20th group is currently using their 35Ns? I just want to make sure that that this guy isn't blowing smoke up my ass to get my to join up with them.

I got 3-4 months to wait for other slots to open up, but may leave early to take this position if it's worth it.

Edit: forgot to mention that the recruiter told me I'd be on a SOT-A if I joined with them as an N.

Last edited:
Recently the unit contact/recruiter for a support detachment in FL reached out to me. He said that they have both 25C, and 35N open. He's their training NCO, and said that he could get me multiple schools if I was physically capable of passing them.

I'm considering taking the 35N slot, but I am hesitant because I know that they also could be assigned to a SOT-B, or some other position locked up in a SCIF. I am also worried about progression. Are 35Ns more likely to be forced into a staff position earlier on than their 35P counterparts? I am also having a hard time understanding the differences between the two jobs outside of the language capabilities that 35Ps have. Seems like they are almost interchangeable outside of that, but I am not in the know.

Just wondering if any of you SIGINT types could chime in for the benefit of myself, and others. Does anyone know how 20th group is currently using their 35Ns?

Be wary of the schools: yes, you would be eligible as a P or N for everything (including many 18-series and 25-series schools) but money is tight and it’s really going to get worse very soon.

35Ns in Group ARE the SOT-B at BN-level: there’s nothing else for them to do. You can make it to E-7 ( pending open slot) but to get 8, you’d have to cross-train to 35F to get the MID NCOIC slot (there’s only one per Support Co). In Big Army, Ps & Ns are interchangeably used ‘cept when the job requires foreign language proficiency. In Guard SF, Ns are typically in SCIFs and Ps are with ODAs.

If you want to do intel, you’ll be inside unless you’re on a SOT-A but if you want to be out and about, SFAS is the best path.

Yea, that's what I figured. I feel like he's trying to sell me on N as if I would be doing P things.

I forgot to say this in my last post, but he told me that I would be on a SOT-A if I joint as an N with them.

I understand that all MI gigs will have you in the SCIF to some extent, but I'd rather wait for 35P. Just wanted to verify my suspicions. May take them up on that "try one" contract and attend SFRE/SFAS if nothing opens up by the time I get back.

Back