1st AC-130J is a write off

Has anyone in this thread ever heard of rudder overbalance? Well... that's why the aircraft departed.

I love how the pilot gets blamed, but even before the AIB occurred, everyone knew the pilot would get blamed. The test team was performing a left hand steady heading sideslip (SHSS) at a high angle of sideslip (AoS). The left wing lost lift, and adlnvlnahiuweaadlancv... madness followed. The test team did everything correctly with what procedures they had for high AoS recovery.

I won't say I'm an expert, but I was on the AC-130J DT team.

Has anyone in this thread ever heard of rudder overbalance? Well... that's why the aircraft departed.

I love how the pilot gets blamed, but even before the AIB occurred, everyone knew the pilot would get blamed. The test team was performing a left hand steady heading sideslip (SHSS) at a high angle of sideslip (AoS). The left wing lost lift, and adlnvlnahiuweaadlancv... madness followed. The test team did everything correctly with what procedures they had for high AoS recovery.

I won't say I'm an expert, but I was on the AC-130J DT team.

They have to blame the Pilot, otherwise some Congressional Critter would demand an end to the program.

Still glad the crew came home, and hope the data helps testing.

Back