.22LR or a Shotgun

TheWookie

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Verified Military
Looking to round out my long gun collection and I don't have either of the above. I am thinking a .22LR would be good for small game ( I have a Colt AR15 and a Rem 700PSS for larger stuff) but I also love shotguns and with the right round they can also be good for small game.

I am curious what you folks think would be best for a SHTF scenario to round out my collection.

Scotth

Verified Military
If you don't have any kind of shotgun then I would go that route. 22LR are fun and dirt cheap to fire. Fun to hunt small game or teach a kid to shoot with.

Shotguns with different loads are great for everything from bird hunting to home defense. I would choose a shotgun over the Colt or Rem for home defense so that is why I would choose the shotgun first. If you have kids getting to that age then I might go with the 22LR first. But hey that is just my opinion.:)

Manolito

Lewis B. Puller for todays problems!
Verified Military
I own both but for leaving the house if the SHTF I am taking the 22. Only reason is I can be quiet with it and I can carry 2K rounds of ammo. Just my thoughts.
Bill

Verified Military
.22 would be my choice.
Quieter, ammo is very cheap and you can carry a lot of it. It has a longer range and is more accurate.

+1. I'd still get a shotgun down the road. I'm not a big fan of having lots of guns around. I have friends with 15-20 long guns in the house; I'd rather have 3-4 and spend the difference on ammo. Seems to me the basics are a hunter, a shooter, a shotgun, and a .22...

surgicalcric

Special Forces
Verified SOF
You had to ask...

If memory serves I paid 500.00 for the pair. I used to see them pretty often at gun shows but havent been to one in about two year. There are a couple other companies who were trying to make one as well.

HTH,

Manolito

Lewis B. Puller for todays problems!
Verified Military
Wookie CCI makes a segmented bullet that is the best for small game I have ever shot. It will stop inside a squirrel and stop them in their tracks. I haven't lost a squirrel since using them that is except the ones I missed:ROFLMAO:

Totentanz

Civil Affairs
Verified SOF
Thanks for the feedback, Gents -- picked up a .22LR Semi at Dicks today for $139 Which leaves plenty of room from the gun fund for a shotgun.

If you grabbed a Marlin 795 (just a wild guess based on the price), check Marlin's website. They usually run a $25 rebate. Now you've got 500 rds of bulk ammo for free... :cool:

Nasty

SOF Support
The first long gun I bought was a Savage over and under 22/20 (I think I paid about $50 new, in 1970), don't know if it's still around, but I loved it. If you can buy at AAFES you can pick up a Ruger 10-22 AND and Mossburg 500 for about $500 and have the best of both worlds.

TheWookie

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Verified Military
Wookie CCI makes a segmented bullet that is the best for small game I have ever shot. It will stop inside a squirrel and stop them in their tracks. I haven't lost a squirrel since using them that is except the ones I missed:ROFLMAO:

Good info, thank you. I got a box of remmington hollow points (525 rnds) for $19.95 -- what a great deal. I will look into those rounds, much thanks.