3/75 Sniper’s “Team Reaper” Book

Ravage

running up that hill
https://www.createspace.com/3788703

Team Reaper

33 Kills...4 months

Authored by Nicholas Irving
Read some of the most breath taking missions and engagements Sgt. Nicholas Irving, 3rd Ranger Battalions deadliest sniper had to face. Sgt. Nicholas Irving is credited with over 33 kills (less than 3 months) in Afghanistan as a Special Operations Direct Action Sniper. Simply riveting as he describes some of his kills through his eyes.

About the author:
Sgt. Nicholas Irving enlisted in the Army after graduating high school in 2004. His first duty station was at Ft. Benning Georgia where he would attend basic training and Army infantry school as well as airborne, and the Ranger indoctrination program. Upon graduating the Ranger indoctrination program, Nicholas Irving was assigned to the third Ranger Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment also located in Fort Benning Georgia.
Nicholas Irving would hold positions such as machine gunner, machine gun team leader, Grenadier, team leader, designated marksman, sniper, sniper team leader, and master sniper. Nicholas Irving will also attend multiple advanced schools that would further enhance his ability as a special operations sniper.

Nicholas Irving would also attend well-known sniper competitions such as the international sniper competition at Ft. Benning Georgia, where the top military and law enforcement snipers from around the world would compete in a week long sniper shooting event. Nicholas Irving and his spotter would place fourth overall. Nicholas Irving would also display his skills at the shooters bash in Kingsville Texas where over 60 competitors ranging from law enforcement, military, and gun enthusiast would display their skills in the art of precision shooting.

Most of his job duties and job description remains classified. His service to the community, law enforcement, and military continue through his work as the CEO of HardShoot(c).

Significant:
Schools, Medals/Awards (significant), Training:

- US Army Sniper School
- US Army Ranger School
- US Army Parachutist Badge
- US Army Designated Marksman
- Sniper Precision
- High Angle (Private) Sniper
- Demolition
- Master Sniper
- International Sniper Competition
- Shooters Bash (Snipers Hide) Competition
- Dep. of State Dynamic driving Course
- Dep. of State M4 assault rifle Course
- Dep. of State Combatives
- Krav Maga
- Joint Commendation Medal
- Army Commendation Medal (Valorous)
- World Wide Personal Protection Qualified
- Army Commendation Medal
- Joint Service Commendation Medal
- Covert Surveillance
- Iraq Campaign Medal
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal

wish it would be in nook or kindle format, as ebooks are always cheaper and I can carry my whole personal library on my phone or ipad. still, I might be tempted to go hard copy to read this, sounds interesting.

Ravage,

Just bought it online waiting to get done with finals to start reading.

BenB

already started reading a bit. so far interesting. there are some strange spelling and grammatical errors that keep becoming a distraction but don't know if this is the authors fault or the people at amazon in their transfer from hard copy to ebook.

Havent read the book yet, but I've got a question regarding Ranger Sniper elements. Are they usually deployed as part of a whole Ranger element, or do they work outside their Ranger unit? Like a Marine Scout/Sniper cell for example? (do they get attached to another unit, like an Army infantry platoon of something like that) ?

Can't speak for the regiment but in the Corps scout/snipers are trained to work in pairs but generally work as a 1-2, four man teams attached to infantry company and used at the company co's discretion. We took a scout/sniper team out once along with a platoon patrol, the platoon went on while two men set up on the roof and me and a third member of their team pulled security downstairs of the house we were in.

Not always. They are a asset of the battalion and can be directed at the battalion commanders discretion. The battalion commander can assign them to a company within the battalion or another unit operating in the AO, it's really up to him how they are employed in the AO, at least that was my experience with them and from talking with fellow Marines that were in S/S teams.

Going back to the book, just finished it. All in all a interesting read. It did read like a mission debrief at times, but the author gave a interesting glimpse into his time in Afghan operations as a Ranger Sniper. Again, grammatical errors and straight out wrong use of some words (whole being used instead of hole for a hole in the ground for example) though not sure if this is the authors error or some douche at amazon who fucked up the transition from hard copy to e-book. I give it a solid 4/5.

There's a team attached to every platoon. They could work alone, but generally are going to assist a platoon with overwatch and give the platoon a precision shooting capability.

There's a team attached to every platoon. They could work alone, but generally are going to assist a platoon with overwatch and give the platoon a precision shooting capability.

U referring to snipers in 75th or in the Corps? In the Corps sometimes we would have em attached to us to provide overwatch, other times they'd simply tag along till a drop off point and go about their own mission, really just depended on the AO and such.

75th. I know about diddly when it comes to the Corps. Independent missions for our guys are rare.

Got ya. Wouldn't profess to know how the snipers in the 75th do it since I've never been in that world. Our S/S are generally trained to work independently of the infantry if needed. Sort of keeps up with the tradition/training that Gunny Hathcock started in Vietnam, sniper team out alone in the field engaging the enemy/collecting intel as they see fit. Can read of several instances in the GWOT of Marine S/S teams getting dropped off by a infantry platoon into a area and conducting their own missions to kill enemies and collect on info.

Back