4th Force Hawaii

Other than that, there's always the officer route. There's almost no guarantee that you'll get to a recon unit that way, but there's a chance. Unfortunately you'll never operate in a team as an officer except in BRC, so it's kind of a waste. You'd have to go to MARSOC to get any real action as an Officer.

This is not entirely accurate. While officers will never be in a team (other than HQ) they do get "real action" during platoon operations, which most direct action missions are. If all teams are out on an R&S mission the platoon commander may run a forward ROC. It is true that there is no guarantee of getting to a recon unit though, and there are much less opportunities for schools unless you are in a Force Recon company.

It is true that there is no guarantee of getting to a recon unit though, and there are much less opportunities for schools unless you are in a Force Recon company.

This why I don't want to go officer yet, there are a few schools I would like to attend that would be difficult to get to as an officer.

TJT0321, according to my recruiter I will most likely be coming back in with a new date of rank that would reflect the day I reenlist into the reserves. Which is good news for me and supposedly I’m going to be picking my SOI school seat tomorrow. I’m thinking about going sometime in May but I’m still not sure. Once I figure that out I’m going to get a hold of my new unit and get slatted for squad leaders course and I guess my unit has lots of jump school seats, definitely going to try to obtain one of those. Then I will heed your advice and try to make the switch into Recon. On a side note, I think it will be weird but fun to be a Sgt. at SOI.

I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but wait to see if you get back in first. I just got told I'm a no go. That came from the Pentagon. It was the answer from them to my congressman. It sucks, cause I was already talking to MarSoc and they told me to come on down to A&S when I get back in. Anyway, the reason was pretty much because quotas are already met. I was also told Marine Times recently published a story that only critical MOS prior service will be allowed back in.
As far as 4th Force, I would call down there myself and talk to them. Remember, you are not currently under a chain of command, so just call them. You can probably google them and get a hit on their website. I know 3rd Force shows up with a hit from google.

This is not entirely accurate. While officers will never be in a team (other than HQ) they do get "real action" during platoon operations, which most direct action missions are. If all teams are out on an R&S mission the platoon commander may run a forward ROC. It is true that there is no guarantee of getting to a recon unit though, and there are much less opportunities for schools unless you are in a Force Recon company.

My bad Teufel, I meant to say that officers do not typically operate as part of the teams during training or for most missions. In my experience they've always been in the ROC (somewhere) dealing with the command and control aspects of the mission. I'm sure they see a fair amount of action, but probably not on purpose. I don't know how you guys do it over at Force though, so I could be mistaken.

I’m definitely not holding my breath on this; however, if it is how you say it is in regards to critical MOS’s being allowed back in then it might be Army SF or Navy, for a shot at BUDs. Nonetheless, I will see if I get back in before I start making any plans. ComingBack, what are your plans now that you can’t get back in? My recruiter told me if I wasn’t accepted back then he would just resubmit my paperwork again and again until I’m allowed back in.

ComingBack, keep me posted on what you decide to do. I should know if I'm approved for reenlistment next Tuesday. Hopefully I get the answer I'm looking for.

I got approved for re-enlistment today so I'm incredibly happy about that, it only took 2 years and 2 months to get approved.

To touch on a few points.
- You can go to BRC as a SSgt, I lat moved after being in the IRR into recon and was selected 2 weeks prior to attending BRC. I picked up at BRC. Also,there was another Marine who picked up aswell. Further more, we had two SSgt's start the course but didn't cut it. All that said, SSgt's can go to BRC.
- The deployment that drove Marines away from 4th Force had nothing to do with the TM's or the command as a whole. It boiled down to Staff and brass politics of 3rd and 4th working together. Regardless a bad situation but it is not a reflection of how 4th Force command operates.
- I am a SSgt and am in the TM. I am the ATL and my TL is a very seasoned Sgt. I am absolutely fine with this. I learn from him and he learns from me and my experience as an NCO and now it even works better for my TM having a Staff. We get info faster and have more flexibility than most in daily routines.
- I went through a PSR to oin the unit and was given my school seats by MARFORRES. I consider myself a lucky one because the I&I 1stSgt at the time had to go to bat with MARFORRES regarding his T/O numbers and having a mismatch MOS on deck until I completed BRC.
- Our current drill schedule changed from every month to the quarter system recently with the guidance of our new CO. Longer drill periods allow for better training instead of trying to slam training into 2-3 days. Plus, we have Marines coming from TX, AZ, and AK to name a few so it works better for those Marines having to shell out money for drill.
- We have spent the last couple years rebuilding the Company, we are now at a good point moving forward. Sadly we are still under T/O as we only have 2 plts of 21's and have a designation of needing a 3rd plt. All this not including the Hawaii Det. If people are interested in joining 4th Force I would recommend going throught the proper channels as out new CO is kicking and screaming for more Marines to come on board. Infact every drill he mentions "talk to your buddies and get their asses over here".

I hope this answers some questions, even if they are out dated.

Seeing that Anchorage Alaska used to host Echo Company 4th Recon Battalion as late as 2006, you might be able to ask around your unit for anyone with connections to 4th Force Recon. When I was in Hawaii 4th Force Recon was aggressively recruiting active duty Navy corpsmen and radio operators. Some of the folks in their headquarters platoon were junior lance corporals that had tried out and were immediately accepted into the process. They worked for H&S for awhile and during that time learned through OJT before going off to the official schools to become qualified. So in the case of reserve Force Recon do you have to put in time in a recon battalion first? Perhaps not, but I don't have current or insider information.

Good luck:)

To touch on a few points.
- You can go to BRC as a SSgt, I lat moved after being in the IRR into recon and was selected 2 weeks prior to attending BRC. I picked up at BRC. Also,there was another Marine who picked up aswell. Further more, we had two SSgt's start the course but didn't cut it. All that said, SSgt's can go to BRC.
- The deployment that drove Marines away from 4th Force had nothing to do with the TM's or the command as a whole. It boiled down to Staff and brass politics of 3rd and 4th working together. Regardless a bad situation but it is not a reflection of how 4th Force command operates.
- I am a SSgt and am in the TM. I am the ATL and my TL is a very seasoned Sgt. I am absolutely fine with this. I learn from him and he learns from me and my experience as an NCO and now it even works better for my TM having a Staff. We get info faster and have more flexibility than most in daily routines.
- I went through a PSR to oin the unit and was given my school seats by MARFORRES. I consider myself a lucky one because the I&I 1stSgt at the time had to go to bat with MARFORRES regarding his T/O numbers and having a mismatch MOS on deck until I completed BRC.
- Our current drill schedule changed from every month to the quarter system recently with the guidance of our new CO. Longer drill periods allow for better training instead of trying to slam training into 2-3 days. Plus, we have Marines coming from TX, AZ, and AK to name a few so it works better for those Marines having to shell out money for drill.
- We have spent the last couple years rebuilding the Company, we are now at a good point moving forward. Sadly we are still under T/O as we only have 2 plts of 21's and have a designation of needing a 3rd plt. All this not including the Hawaii Det. If people are interested in joining 4th Force I would recommend going throught the proper channels as out new CO is kicking and screaming for more Marines to come on board. Infact every drill he mentions "talk to your buddies and get their asses over here".

I hope this answers some questions, even if they are out dated.

Hi Swiftreco, I was just wondering:

Do you feel that MARSOC or Anglico are competing with you for the same pool of reserve talent?

What do you think you would need to meet your T/O?

I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but wait to see if you get back in first. I just got told I'm a no go. That came from the Pentagon. It was the answer from them to my congressman. It sucks, cause I was already talking to MarSoc and they told me to come on down to A&S when I get back in. Anyway, the reason was pretty much because quotas are already met. I was also told Marine Times recently published a story that only critical MOS prior service will be allowed back in.
As far as 4th Force, I would call down there myself and talk to them. Remember, you are not currently under a chain of command, so just call them. You can probably google them and get a hit on their website. I know 3rd Force shows up with a hit from google.

Would you ever be interested in 0211? They may be more willing to give you a chance because I think they are hurting even more than 0321.

Would you ever be interested in 0211? They may be more willing to give you a chance because I think they are hurting even more than 0321.

I think intel would be very cool but I've already talked to the prior service recruiter here in Michigan and it's the same story I keep getting. There is no way to get in the reserves, AR, or active duty for me.

Back