70 Sit Ups in 1 minute

Soldado

Verified Military
So, here's my question: How to get to 70 Sit-ups in 1 minute?

My record has been 60 in a minute and 104 in 2 minutes and I've followed this program until the end: http://300situps.com/ . Please do not answer 'Go to the gym' or 'Go to Crossfit' :), because all I need is my self weight :).

Swap things up. Flutter kicks, half ups, all the way ups, half downs from the top, supine bicycle... then get buddy leg throws in.

Buddy leg throws: On your back, buddy stands at your head, hold his ankles. Feet together, try to kick him in the chest. he throws your feet left/right/straight to work abs/obliques with more resistance than gravity gives. Go for 2 minutes.

Also helps if you can do flutter kicks off a bench or platform so you get a deeper low point in than if you're just lying on the ground.

Looks like you did 1 full sit-up in 1 second to get 60 sit-ups in a minute!

That is awesome in my book if you did it properly (hands to the side of the head, feet flat on the floor, legs 90 degrees and shoulder blades touching the floor as your body comes down).

Does the time allotted for the range of motion for a sit-up even allow for 70 reps in 60 seconds?

That's something you should research first lol

Yes, at least here in the 2005 it was one of the test to go to the Ranger School and one of the marks you have to do to earn the Warhawk is 70 Sit-ups in a minute.

grid7.PNG

What is a Warhawk?(Click here)
Looks like you did 1 full sit-up in 1 second to get 60 sit-ups in a minute!

That is awesome in my book if you did it properly (hands to the side of the head, feet flat on the floor, legs 90 degrees and shoulder blades touching the floor as your body comes down).

I DO NOT cheated myself :thumbsup:.

I would work on flexion challenge exercises, not more flexion movements....but that's just me.

Side note:

The goal of the abdominals, glutes, lats ect. all of which is the "core" is to stop motion through the spine/pelvis and generate power through the shoulders and hips where the motion should take place.....punching, cutting/changing direction...all require a snap, a spring, a force generator like a whip.

Anyone who does hundreds of situps everyday is robbing their athletic capacity. You can equate the spine to a credit card or coat hanger. Eventually through repeated cycles of flexion/extension the spine will break (disc hernation).

Top MMA fighters who have reached their late 20's/mid 30's and choose to continue competing have stopped doing flexion/extension exercises because they have burned up their capacity to do so. Now, the smart ones atleast, save the flexion/extension for when it's really needed...in the ring. Just as soldiers should save their capacity for when it's needed, in the field, doing their job.

Hope this didn't come across as being a dick, I'm just pretty passionate about helping others avoid injuries, improve athletic performance smartly.

I would work on flexion challenge exercises, not more flexion movements....but that's just me.

Side note:

The goal of the abdominals, glutes, lats ect. all of which is the "core" is to stop motion through the spine/pelvis and generate power through the shoulders and hips where the motion should take place.....punching, cutting/changing direction...all require a snap, a spring, a force generator like a whip.

Anyone who does hundreds of situps everyday is robbing their athletic capacity. You can equate the spine to a credit card or coat hanger. Eventually through repeated cycles of flexion/extension the spine will break (disc hernation).

Top MMA fighters who have reached their late 20's/mid 30's and choose to continue competing have stopped doing flexion/extension exercises because they have burned up their capacity to do so. Now, the smart ones atleast, save the flexion/extension for when it's really needed...in the ring. Just as soldiers should save their capacity for when it's needed, in the field, doing their job.

Hope this didn't come across as being a dick, I'm just pretty passionate about helping others avoid injuries, improve athletic performance smartly.

Thank you very much for the information, but "Source?" Medic? Internet? Neighbor?

GHD Sit Ups. Transition all training to the GHD machine and when you do your regular test it'll feel incredibly easy

Nice idea:thumbsup:, but I do not have the machine :( .

Thank you very much for the information, but "Source?" Medic? Internet? Neighbor?
Nice idea:thumbsup:, but I do not have the machine :( .

Myself, self study and time spent with Dr. Stuart McGill a professor of spine biomechanics out of the University of Waterloo in Canada. He's considered the world's best expert in the field and top athletes, teams, military, Olympic personnel along with the most difficult back cases are often referred to him.

Side note:

Very interesting. What would you recommend exercise-wise then?

Bird dogs, side planks, McGill curl up done in a Russian style of descending sets. Example with the side plank... 6 reps left side for 10 secs, then 6 for the right 10 secs.....5, 4, 3, 2 ect.

You don't want to hold the contraction longer than 10 seconds.

"Keep the duration of isometric exercises under 10 seconds and build endurance with repetitions, not by increasing the duration of the holds. Near infrared spectroscopy of the muscles showed us this was the way to
build endurance without the muscles cramping from oxygen starvation and acid buildup."

http://www.backfitpro.com/pdf/selecting_back_exercises.pdf

No problem. Once movement patterns are established to brace the "core" and move throughout the hips and shoulders, more advanced exercises can be added. For example, unilateral suitcase carries.

I was one who thought the bird dog was a wimpy exercise... Well then Dr. McGill had me putting near maximum contraction in it, squeezing the fist to activate all the muscles through my upper back and lats, abs are braced and push through the heel of the foot so it engages all the musculature of the lower body. It sucked..

Same thing regarding pullups. Maximum contraction, bending the bar, ripping yourself up to the bar and when you lower yourself the shoulders never leave the socket. Maximum tension, maximum intensity.

He also shared some photos of the "gyms" of some top athletes. You would be surprised of one, it was nothing more than a rope strung between two trees, a kettlebell and I believe that was it. A very very basic backyard gym.

Also, backfitpro.com is his site. It has many interviews and articles about/from him. One of his interviews talks about his consult with the Olympics. Very good read.

I see your first link mentions Stuart McGill a great deal :thumbsup:

Every service in the world performs sit ups you say but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. Remember, it's the cumulative trauma that creates the injury with the back. Your spine has only so many bends (flexion/extension) in it before it breaks (disc delamination). Save those bends for everyday living brother.

Keep the low back sturdy and strong. Train it to do it's job which is to STOP movement in the back and for bearing load.

I see your first link mentions Stuart McGill a great deal :thumbsup:

Every service in the world performs sit ups you say but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. Remember, it's the cumulative trauma that creates the injury with the back. Your spine has only so many bends (flexion/extension) in it before it breaks (disc delamination). Save those bends for everyday living brother.

Keep the low back sturdy and strong. Train it to do it's job which is to STOP movement in the back and for bearing load.

Military life's requires sacrifices and you know it.

I'll try to keep it :thumbsup: .

Back