A Few Things to Know Before You Go

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
And I welcome other suggestions as this list will no doubt be expanded.

1. Make no mistake: Marine Corps recruit training is the toughest basic course of all the service branches; and one of the toughest conventional force basic training programs in the world. Don't show up at MCRD San Diego or Parris Island with the idea it'll be a cakewalk. I've seen big strong dudes wash out because either they weren't prepared mentally or they didn't want the Eagle, Globe and Anchor (EGA) bad enough to put up with the physical and mental challenges.

2. Whatever cockiness you have, leave it at home. Bring it, and they will kill you.

3. Don't bring your cell phone, snacks, combs, cigarettes, candy or anything other than yourself and the clothes you have on to bootcamp. Everything, including your clothes, will be sent home.

4. If you show up at bootcamp with a mullet haircut, they will probably make you a machine gunner. 8-) (Inside joke.)

5. The busses arrive at Recruit Depots between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m.. This is intentional. They want you sleepy, disoriented and vulnerable so they can shock you into obedience mode. So if you're standing around the terminal for 8 hours in Beaufort SC or San Diego wondering when the busses will get there, now you know it's part of the mind game.

Last edited:
Quick Question: How are your friendship in the Marine Corps different from the friendships you have in the civilian world? My recruiter told us a story at the last poolee function about how when he came home from boot camp he wanted to go back with his brothers instead of hanging out with his civilian friends because it felt strange to him.

Quick Question: How are your friendship in the Marine Corps different from the friendships you have in the civilian world? My recruiter told us a story at the last poolee function about how when he came home from boot camp he wanted to go back with his brothers instead of hanging out with his civilian friends because it felt strange to him.

It's not 'just' a MC thing, that is a military thing. You know what really feels strange? Coming back from deployment. But it's natural that you become closer to the people you spend 90%-100% of your time with, especially in combat/field MOSs where the deprivation and austerity force a level of community like no other.

My best friend growing up is still my best friend, and I have as many non-military friends as military, but my relationship with each is different.

My recruiter told us a story at the last poolee function about how when he came home from boot camp he wanted to go back with his brothers instead of hanging out with his civilian friends because it felt strange to him.

I hated bootcamp, every part of it and felt the same way about most of our platoon. It was our Senior’s last platoon before he went back to the fleet and I don’t think he gave an F. Not one person from that platoon I’d want to get in touch with.

That said, I’m sure there are many stories that members can/will share about their brothers in the fleet. At the end of the day there is a closeness that can certainly be described, but probably not understood until you experience it.

My Brothers from my company in Vietnam are still my Brothers. We still communicate and get together when we can. It's an unbreakable bond.

Friendships are what you make them. They are based on the "work" that you are willing to put into it to make it a successful relationship.

But, when you have someone that sweats, bleeds, and fully embraces the suck with you...bonds are built that many civilians don't understand. There is something to be said about a man who is willing to give his life "for" you or "with" you.

Back