Accuracy International precision carbine

I've seen those advertised in magazines before, but they never gave any information or stats on it.

I've seen those advertised in magazines before, but they never gave any information or stats on it.

Excellent rifle.. (first hand experience);) The Butts can be shortened or lenghtened depending on the firier. Which is essential in getting it right to get the correct eye relief (on a Shmit and Bender 6x42 scope) to prevent shadow.

I fired the 308.. effective up to 800m. harrasing fire up to 1000m.

Whats wrong with crane ?:uhh:

Well, nothing I guess, as long as you like being shortchanged on your weapons.
Crane was contracted to test and evaluate systems not build them. Now someone is making some cash on the inside and Crane is suddenly the new builder. Hmmm...:uhh:

We have the AIAE for our sniper section. Love it. Best group to date is 1.5in at 300yards (farthest range I have to fire in). Using 168gr Hornady TAP.

If you have the $$$$$ its a very nice rifle to have.

nice but..........

I have been shooting AW and AWP family rifles since Malcom Cooper was just trying to sell them to the UK DoD.
Mr. Cooper built a target rifle with potential to take number one position from Andre Tanner and his super 300m CISM rifles.
Then he saw the potential for military sales modified his design and won the contract.... the target rifle took second place in his priorities and he managed to market the best sniper rifle ever.
TRUE, but that was 1990
After 20 years of carrying a 8 kg 308 around all of NATO has decided that enough is enough and we are changing to 338LM. Same weight, same price 500m more range.
What does that mean?
That the AW had some big flaws. I was always a target rifle dressed up in military uniform and it was too heavy.
NOW in 2008
there are much better options: be it The Steyr SSG08 (for me, the best 308 sniper rifle ever) or the Brugger and Thomett APR (if you want the system with the best suppressor on the market).
And if you want to go custom: A McCree stock with a benchrest "extended magazine" Stiller action and a Krieger barrel. (that concept is what the SEALS are testing)
All of them lighter, more accurate, fully compatible with Mil-Std1913 ( without adaptors) and the Steyr and APR as rugged or more than the AW.
we are in 2008 not 1009
My 0.002cents

I have been shooting AW and AWP family rifles since Malcom Cooper was just trying to sell them to the UK DoD.
Mr. Cooper built a target rifle with potential to take number one position from Andre Tanner and his super 300m CISM rifles.
Then he saw the potential for military sales modified his design and won the contract.... the target rifle took second place in his priorities and he managed to market the best sniper rifle ever.
TRUE, but that was 1990
After 20 years of carrying a 8 kg 308 around all of NATO has decided that enough is enough and we are changing to 338LM. Same weight, same price 500m more range.
What does that mean?
That the AW had some big flaws. I was always a target rifle dressed up in military uniform and it was too heavy.
NOW in 2008
there are much better options: be it The Steyr SSG08 (for me, the best 308 sniper rifle ever) or the Brugger and Thomett APR (if you want the system with the best suppressor on the market).
And if you want to go custom: A McCree stock with a benchrest "extended magazine" Stiller action and a Krieger barrel. (that concept is what the SEALS are testing)
All of them lighter, more accurate, fully compatible with Mil-Std1913 ( without adaptors) and the Steyr and APR as rugged or more than the AW.
we are in 2008 not 1009
My 0.002cents

I only have experience with the AI 308. I'm persuming you know it now comes in 338 and .5?

TRUE, but that was 1990
What does that mean?
NOW in 2008
we are in 2008 not 1009
My 0.002cents

You say the Sig or Brugger are better .308s today, but you also say NATO is going 338LM which is an AI round, so is AI still best in the world with it's 338LM rifle?

I only have experience with the AI 308. I'm persuming you know it now comes in 338 and .5?

LOL, have you been reading his posts?

You say the Sig or Brugger are better .308s today, but you also say NATO is going 338LM which is an AI round, so is AI still best in the world with it's 338LM rifle?

LOL, have you been reading his posts?

I'm assuming He is implying that there are better 308 rifles than the AI.. All I'm saying is AI now come in 338 and .5.

AI and the future

I'm assuming He is implying that there are better 308 rifles than the AI.. All I'm saying is AI now come in 338 and .5.

I mean that there are betters option to the AI BOTH in 308 (the Steyr SSG08 and the B&T APR308) and in 338LM (Barrett M98B and McCree/ customs)

Talking fifty, I have considerable experience with the AW50 and I can tell you it is fine rifle. The problem as always, is weight. In Spain the Air Force SF had the AW50 as their fifty cal and they are buying new M82A1 to replace them. Why?

Not because of any fault on the fine AW50 but because you dont actually use the accuracy potential of a AW50 with a military fifty cal. Then the M82 weights more or less the same as the AW50, has the same accuracy potential (limited by the ammo on both rifles) and has ten round magazines AND SEMIAUTO operation. Cadence of fire and destructive power is very much increased with the M82.

By the way the 338LM is not AI, it is a Lapua development in which AI was involved (depending on the sources... more or less involved) and got thier rifles tuned to the new ammo. They actually did much better than SAKO who is close to Lapua and did not get their TR42 really ready for what the 338LM has to offer.

Once again that was in 1990. Now........

Ed

Back