Achilles issues

Totentanz

Civil Affairs
Verified SOF
I'm not heavily into running (I usually use a bike), but since it seems to be a requirement for nearly any job involving military, fire, LEO, etc..., I've started a few times to implement it. I've never been successful at building a consistent program for various reasons, most of which I've been able to resolve. The last one, though, has me hitting my head against a wall.

The last few times I've started a program, within a few days, my ankle becomes sore/sensitive about an inch above the "ball" of the ankle. While I'm no MD/trainer, most sources I've seen point to this as being tendonitis in the Achilles, and the most frequent cause is overtraining, or attempting to go too hard too fast. So far, in the last week, I've done two runs at 2 miles/10 min pace to try to slowly build up (3 days apart), and it's still giving me troubles. It doesn't really hurt when I run, but I'm more worried about damaging something down there.

So far, I've been taking 2x200mg ibuprofin to alleviate pain, and a small amount of swelling.

Couple questions:

1) is ibuprofin a "good" solution to this, or should I be looking at taking something else (or is anything in this realm just an attempt to circumvent reality)?

2) am I missing anything stretching-wise? I've been trying to stretch the back of the calf/ankle area before each run, but I don't know if there's anything out there that might specifically target the ankle...

3) for a more anecdotal possibility, can this be caused by anything in the running form?

4) anything else I'm missing?

I'm at a loss, as I've had this happen the past few times I've tried to start up running, and each time, I've tried to slow down my progress to prevent this, and it doesn't seem to be working...

Are you doing any stretching exercises specifically for your achilles tendons? If not get on google and find some. An easy one is to stand arms length from a wall, put your hands against the wall and then lean into the wall and hold it for 20 seconds. Do this several times.

As for the pain/tenderness, naproxen sodium will do a much better job to reduce the inflammation than ibuprofen.

Ack Toten..Ive had achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis for months now. Ive had 8 weeks of PT and Im working with a trainer at the gym too. I have to do these stretching routines for like 15 mins before a work out..to keep my achilles from tearing. Might be worth an ortho consult and some time with a physical therapist to avoid more serious issues down the road.:2c:
But then again..Im old:rolleyes:

I use Naproxen for inflammation but be wary as it's harder on the stomach than ibuprofen. I have to take an acid reducing agent ([FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pantoprazole Sodium[/FONT]) to protect the lining.

Both Achilles and Plantar Fascia problems can by caused by a tightening due to advancing age. These difficulties can be helped a great deal by stretching. You can stretch your Achilles by doing a wall stretch and then bending the knee to put the force on your ankle. Plantar fascia can be stretched by either a wall stretch or by sitting with one leg straight on the floor and taking a towel and draping it around the ball of the foot. Hold the ends of the towel with your hands. Then stretch your lower leg by pulling back on the towel.

An item that will assist with your stretch routine is the Pro Stretch. You can order it on line from M-F Athletic here:
http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_2577_A_CategoryID_E_413

I have owned a Pro Stretch for several years and it is a valuable piece of equipment.

I get that from running too. I never did when I was younger but now it seems that running is evil! Therefor, I don't run unless the team is running or I am taking a PT test. I do low impact cardio. Running will not make you a better soldier, sailor or whatever. Low impact cardio programs such as biking excuted in intervals will shred your legs and ensure that you can keep up with the gazelles! Save the running for when it is neccessary... your joints will love you for it!

:2c:

One more thing... Eat ibruprofen! It's easy to get from any medic and works like a charm. It's candy... mmmmm.

Take a knee and face out!!!

(puts on her lil white nursie cap) If you're using ANY of the NSAIDs (ibuprophen, naproxen, etc) remember: 1) they all mess with your clotting ability which will make you bruise "bigger" from injuries 2) be sure to let your main health care provider taht you are using them with that regularity. I agree with the comments about GI upset. Hummm stressful job already = prime ulcer candidate. Adding these meds to the mix only increases your chance for a GI bleed. NO drug comes without side effects. It's a therapeutic tradeoff. Arm yourself with info and take reasonanle precautions. (removes lil cap and climbs down from her soapbox)

Are you doing any stretching exercises specifically for your achilles tendons? If not get on google and find some. An easy one is to stand arms length from a wall, put your hands against the wall and then lean into the wall and hold it for 20 seconds. Do this several times.

As for the pain/tenderness, naproxen sodium will do a much better job to reduce the inflammation than ibuprofen.

That sounds generally like what I've been doing to stretch the calf/ankle...

Ack Toten..Ive had achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis for months now. Ive had 8 weeks of PT and Im working with a trainer at the gym too. I have to do these stretching routines for like 15 mins before a work out..to keep my achilles from tearing. Might be worth an ortho consult and some time with a physical therapist to avoid more serious issues down the road.:2c:
But then again..Im old:rolleyes:

I'll look into this... unfortunately, the campus health care that I have access to is both highly time-consuming and not terribly effective. If this is still an issue when I get back stateside, I'll look into something a bit more serious.

I use Naproxen for inflammation but be wary as it's harder on the stomach than ibuprofen. I have to take an acid reducing agent ([FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pantoprazole Sodium[/FONT]) to protect the lining.

I'll look into Naproxen, and keep this in mind. I'm not eager to screw up my body just yet, but it might be an option.

Both Achilles and Plantar Fascia problems can by caused by a tightening due to advancing age. These difficulties can be helped a great deal by stretching. You can stretch your Achilles by doing a wall stretch and then bending the knee to put the force on your ankle. Plantar fascia can be stretched by either a wall stretch or by sitting with one leg straight on the floor and taking a towel and draping it around the ball of the foot. Hold the ends of the towel with your hands. Then stretch your lower leg by pulling back on the towel.

An item that will assist with your stretch routine is the Pro Stretch. You can order it on line from M-F Athletic here:
http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_2577_A_CategoryID_E_413

I have owned a Pro Stretch for several years and it is a valuable piece of equipment.

Thanks for the input. From the sounds of things, the solution seems to be "more stretching". I'll keep with what I've been doing, and see if I can find anything else to supplement that to loosen the calf muscle more. The towel idea seems like a fairly easy addition...

Thanks, all!

I forgot the golf ball thingy Toten!:doh:
Left you a message..Ill get on this later..God Im so forgetful!:doh::doh:

MOVING!!

RUCK UP!!!​

YOU, TOO, CHOPSTICK!!!!​

MOTRIN = 'THE KING OF SUPERMAN CANDY' (CURES ALL THAT AILS YA!!) ;);)

Ive never rucked..what the ruck is going on? LOL
I have to find the golf ball trick for him!

Hey TOTENTANZ,
Does your school have a sports medicine department... might check what they can do/provide. They are always eager to have a real patient.

Yeah... Chopstick get MOVING we will never make the TOT, no time for whiners!

Back