Advice from other SOFs

Fayraz

Unverified
Since pararescue is a very small and almost unknown group it's been hard to find advice on training and even guides (found one that was free and one that was a session). However, SEALs are practically everywhere and their advice on training for BUD/S is as far as the eye can see, so i've been using those resources more. Is this okay? I know both do different missions and SEALs are WAY more focused on water confidence but the general tips of "run like this" and "progress slowly but consistently" should transfer to just about any other spec ops unit training.

Well now that THAT’S out of the way...

There are so many resources out there for Pararescue, I don’t even know how to begin answering your question. Did you google? Did you use the search function on this board? Did you do the minimum requirement for trying to fix your own problem.

Make no mistake- no one out there is going to spoon feed you what you want and tell you minute by minute, day by day what you should do. Although I can immediately think of 2 resources that do almost that.

No, you should not train for BUDs if you’re trying to go to A&S. Do you even know what the Special Warfare Training Wing expects your physical performance markers to be when you apply? Have you talked to a special operations recruiter?

In my sadistic mind, I would love it if you showed up day one to A&S thinking the SEALs do more water confidence than we do. That would be awesome. I’d have the cadre FaceTime me just so I could watch.

There are so many resources out there for Pararescue, I don’t even know how to begin answering your question. Did you google? Did you use the search function on this board? Did you do the minimum requirement for trying to fix your own problem.

Make no mistake- no one out there is going to spoon feed you what you want and tell you minute by minute, day by day what you should do. Although I can immediately think of 2 resources that do almost that.

No, you should not train for BUDs if you’re trying to go to A&S. Do you even know what the Special Warfare Training Wing expects your physical performance markers to be when you apply? Have you talked to a special operations recruiter?

In my sadistic mind, I would love it if you showed up day one to A&S thinking the SEALs do more water confidence than we do. That would be awesome. I’d have the cadre FaceTime me just so I could watch.
This post made my day. I seriously laughed out loud.

I found some resources on the Pararescuemen subreddit, mike maroney’s channel and another channel called “How to be a PJ”. It’s an okay amount of information, but channels like Jeff Nichols seem to be just as helpful. Obviously I’m not going to do BUD/S training if I want to do indoc, but the tips on excercise and recovery are very helpful, as just having the mindset won’t do you much good if you can’t even pass the PAST.

- Mod preemptive strike -

If you don't have something constructive to add to this conversation, to include the vetted creds to back it up, stay out of this thread please.

I wanted to go the Parareacue rout a couple years ago. While I can’t give any advice on the training, I can tell you right now there is a TON of information on it. This site will get you in the general direction and even has a prep program with a link. Read the thread because members have mentioned that it should not be your sole training and give other options to supplement it. It really is all on the site, it will just take a decent amount of searching on your part. Some of what I found involved me just scrolling through threads or using google to search this site rather than the site search feature. Good luck!

Back