AFSPECWAR Applicants Check This Study Out

That was a good study, and by good, I mean unbiased (the math worked) with good statistics. It sure did leave a bunch of questions, so it worked as a launching pad for further study. It quantified what we have observed, that is men with better body composition tend to be fitter.

I would like to see a control group of similarly composed men in same age range not prepping for SOF perform the same test; at N's of time or test interval. This would help determine if better performance on those events were strictly due to better composition, or training to the test.

Physical Profile of Air Force Special Warfare Trainees

Mod note:
Typically we ask that a post is followed by some type of context as to why you posted the link.
I posted this as a reference for all applicants or people thinking of AFSPECWAR. Personally, I have gone through 10's of hours of footage and information. This study thoroughly informs readers with several types of statistical information. With my personal training background, I find it helpful to know the body composition, performance statistics and specific testing criteria of AFSPECWAR applicants, the CFT and IFT.

I am 6'4" near 200 lbs with less than 10% BF. I find it helpful to know that I am on the heavier but leaner side of applicants, though I wouldn't consider myself "big". After reading this study, I would like to put on another 5-10lbs of muscle and fat at least. I would like to increase muscle mass for moving mass and being a better performing applicant. Additionally, the fat to help with my energy levels during fasted training and buoyancy during water conditioning.

Reading the testing criteria helps me better comprehend how to adjust my periodization protocol. Meaning, I should really formulate my block training to condition me to these very long workout standards; about 4 hours minimum of total test time. Additionally, testing myself with the specific testing protocol every few macro cycles. I think that many people aren't cross training within their blocks; pool work followed by a run followed by sprinting then weightlifting. I cross train but haven't been cross training within one of my blocks of training. I am a long way out but have been separating my blocks. When I train my blocks have been separated into weightlifting, running, rucking, etc. This study shows that training should be a mix between CrossFit(cross-training) and triathlon training for the specificity required.

Loofy

AWP,

I have been watching and listening Ones Ready. Is there a specific episode I should watch?
I’d probably start here. The strength and conditioning coaches and cadre at the Special Warfare Candidate Course designed and published a free pre-BMT workout plan. You can find the link in the YouTube description; I’ll easy-button it for you and link it here.

Then I’d watch this one. We lay out every single number before basic, on your IFT, numbers through SWCC, then the OFT.

Then I’d watch this one. SWCC deep dive.

Ref you’re conclusions from the study and training protocol; I’d focus on the IFT and I’d try and shift your assumption a bit.

High intensity interval training (as a means to cause increased metabolic conditioning in zones 4/5 and adaption) doesn’t mean ‘CrossFit’. About 90% of that methodology isn’t specific enough for your given task (the IFT does not contain lifting weights at all; it’s limited to mono-structural bodyweight cardiovascular exercises with a minimum premium paid for strength).

“Triathlon training” is also simultaneously correct and incorrect. Developing a strong cardiovascular base (zone 2/3) is highly useful and also the hardest metabolic output/result to maintain.

Be specific. The only test that matters is the IFT. Run, jump, swim, cals. That’s it.

The rucking standard and CFT will be trained/evaluated at the end of SWCC; that means you’ll ship, hit basic, wait for a SWCC date, then start SWCC. That process can take as much as 20 weeks to complete. No amount of micro/macro cycling 20 weeks before the 20 weeks you’re gonna wait is going to matter if you aren’t routinely smoking the IFT with perfect form.

As always; your training time is gold. Snatching is fun. Murph is fun. We aren’t asking you to do Murph or snatch your bodyweight until you’re close to done with the pipeline.

Happy hunting.

That was a good study, and by good, I mean unbiased (the math worked) with good statistics. It sure did leave a bunch of questions, so it worked as a launching pad for further study. It quantified what we have observed, that is men with better body composition tend to be fitter.

I would like to see a control group of similarly composed men in same age range not prepping for SOF perform the same test; at N's of time or test interval. This would help determine if better performance on those events were strictly due to better composition, or training to the test.
@Devildoc,

Are you familiar with studies other than the ones referenced within the document? Do you suggest any?

Inherently, I think body composition plays a vital role for performance, but conditioning specificity is more important. I believe this is why you get those guys that look like studs but end up not having the mental fortitude. It would be more informative if these numbers were tied to the men who passed.

@Devildoc,

Are you familiar with studies other than the ones referenced within the document? Do you suggest any?

Inherently, I think body composition plays a vital role for performance, but conditioning specificity is more important. I believe this is why you get those guys that look like studs but end up not having the mental fortitude. It would be more informative if these numbers were tied to the men who passed.

#4 and #5 in the bib are excellent, and actually correlate with the study you posted. If you are a data geek for data's sake and do not have access to pubmed or other academic search engines, google scholar is the go-to.

I think looking at the same metrics and variable post-A&S would be interesting. I also think that we are in the dawn of science with this. The problem is, which you stated, is the independent variable of 'mental fortitude' (or will, or gut, or heart...whatever you want to call it). That cannot ever be quantified.

So we know (because science) that body composition correlates to higher graduation rates. We also know that conditioning specificity is important (if you have to swim and don't train to swim, chances are you are not going to be a good swimmer). But how much, when, why, to what extreme or value, that's where @amlove21 and his resources are pure gold. He is absolutely right, in everything he posted. I would train to the test for sure. He and his guys and his site has every tool to get you as prepared as you can be.

AWP,

I have been watching and listening Ones Ready. Is there a specific episode I should watch?

Other than the whole goddamn thing because you have time before you ship? No. I just wanted you to be aware of the most comprehensive AFSPECWAR site on the planet. @amlove21 can cover your question "somewhat" better than I ever will.

Carry on and good luck. Kill.

I've had this study bookmarked on my browser for a few months now. It's the reason I'm 41 going to swimming lessons 2x/wk. Not sure about what will be available next year when I try, but at least hope to get AFSPECWAR support in the NG, if not TACP or EOD and be able to pass the swims. None of the calisthenics or run worry me, but of course I'll keep training.

I’d probably start here. The strength and conditioning coaches and cadre at the Special Warfare Candidate Course designed and published a free pre-BMT workout plan. You can find the link in the YouTube description; I’ll easy-button it for you and link it here.

Then I’d watch this one. We lay out every single number before basic, on your IFT, numbers through SWCC, then the OFT.

Then I’d watch this one. SWCC deep dive.

Ref you’re conclusions from the study and training protocol; I’d focus on the IFT and I’d try and shift your assumption a bit.

High intensity interval training (as a means to cause increased metabolic conditioning in zones 4/5 and adaption) doesn’t mean ‘CrossFit’. About 90% of that methodology isn’t specific enough for your given task (the IFT does not contain lifting weights at all; it’s limited to mono-structural bodyweight cardiovascular exercises with a minimum premium paid for strength).

“Triathlon training” is also simultaneously correct and incorrect. Developing a strong cardiovascular base (zone 2/3) is highly useful and also the hardest metabolic output/result to maintain.

Be specific. The only test that matters is the IFT. Run, jump, swim, cals. That’s it.

The rucking standard and CFT will be trained/evaluated at the end of SWCC; that means you’ll ship, hit basic, wait for a SWCC date, then start SWCC. That process can take as much as 20 weeks to complete. No amount of micro/macro cycling 20 weeks before the 20 weeks you’re gonna wait is going to matter if you aren’t routinely smoking the IFT with perfect form.

As always; your training time is gold. Snatching is fun. Murph is fun. We aren’t asking you to do Murph or snatch your bodyweight until you’re close to done with the pipeline.

Happy hunting.
@amlove21

These videos are worth their weight in gold. They were the videos I had not seen but needed to. The IFT, CFT, OFT video differentiates the tests and time lines which help explain training timeliness and the 'focus on the IFT'. I am specifically interested in some of the OR Training Playlist videos now.

Before the VF Pre-accession packet, I had found various preparation workout packets and can say that the Pre-accession packet is more comprehensive and thorough.

Are there individuals that I can ask questions for specific exercises?
There are some exercise names I am not familiar with and haven't been able to find with various searching (i.e. superman seal ups, Water conditioning mixed drills, etc.) Additionally, not all exercise regimens are fully explained(i.e. are we suppose to rest between exercises in the circuits).

After finishing the packet, are there suggested ways to progress further(more volume, increased intensity or weight, periodization, etc.)?

@Loofy I'm happy to help on getting you a contact to ask about exercises. Throw a note together with all your questions and I’ll hit up JD or one of the bros.

As far as your question about ‘progressing further’; the program is designed for folks that wanna go downrange and kill/save people, not get real good at working out. So they assume trainees are going to be training in earnest for 1 year. Keep in mind there is only the underwaters and 500m swim for IFT. No need to worry about any of those evaluated events until pre dive, which is after A&S. Prioritize accordingly.

@Loofy I'm happy to help on getting you a contact to ask about exercises. Throw a note together with all your questions and I’ll hit up JD or one of the bros.
@Loofy I hope you realize what a gift and opportunity this is. Some people would say that this guy ^ is a legend in that community, and he's willing to give up his time to help out a guy who he doesn't even know? ...wow.

My advice: take the opportunity, but do your homework first. Don't waste his time, and yours, asking him or anyone he connects you with, questions that are easily answered elsewhere.

If you do end up going down this road, it would be extremely satisfying for all of us for you to come up on the net one day many years from now, and say, "Guys, I made it."

Good luck.

@Loofy I hope you realize what a gift and opportunity this is. Some people would say that this guy ^ is a legend in that community, and he's willing to give up his time to help out a guy who he doesn't even know? ...wow.

My advice: take the opportunity, but do your homework first. Don't waste his time, and yours, asking him or anyone he connects you with, questions that are easily answered elsewhere.

If you do end up going down this road, it would be extremely satisfying for all of us for you to come up on the net one day many years from now, and say, "Guys, I made it."

Good luck.

I have little to add but to echo this amazing chunk of advice. We pride ourselves on "zero to hero" success stories, and an origin story doesn't get much better than this thread.

I hope the OP dons the beret some day, no matter how long the journey. When that moment happens, please let us know.

@Marauder06

I am not naive to the notion that these gents are volunteering their time, and I completely respect it.

@AWP

I will be around for a while and hope become more involved in this community as I learn and grow into this culture. I am following the Prep Packet that Amlove21 has linked. After this week it periodizes the IFT into the training. Once I complete it as prescribed, I will update my introduction to reflect my results. If I make it through the processes, I will attempt to keep what was said in this thread in mind. I assume eventually some of our paths will cross in the real world.

Not to get too sappy but thank you all for the support it is very encouraging and motivating to feel this from the community.

Wow, still as high as 91% after all the years of effort put forth and money spent to get it a bit lower.

As the current accession program (9T500 special warfare enlistment contract) and USAF Special Warfare assessment and selection programs somewhat better mirrors the US Army Special Forces enlistment contract and assessment and selection than the USN Special Warfare enlistment contracts and assessment and selection programs I wonder how closely the attrition rates match.

Last edited:
Back