AFSW Candidates in Basic Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butthead

Unverified
I have heard that SW candidates are issued Lowa boots in Basic instead of the standard boots other Air Force personnel receive.

Is there any merit to this rumor or is it false? Asking because if this is true, I would like to start working with them to have familiarity with them.

Thank you in advance!

I have had this question answered.

AFSW Candidates do receive Lowa boots in the fourth week of BMT.

I can't imagine this is fact. The amount of money that would be wasted on those who failed A&S would not outweigh the benefits of refitting every trainee during basic training.

I would get a hard answer from a current cadre member or those closer to the flagpole and not through the cone rumint channels.

@amlove21

I can't imagine this is fact. The amount of money that would be wasted on those who failed A&S would not outweigh the benefits of refitting every trainee during basic training.

I would get a hard answer from a current cadre member or those closer to the flagpole and not through the cone rumint channels.

@amlove21
AFSW Dev are the developers who should have the facts.

Thread drift...and I'm being a dick so this isn't a staff post, this is a me post...

My old Detachment Sgt. (an SF Commo Sgt.) mentioned that the "leg" all leather boots were the only boots authorized when he went through SFAS and the SFQC circa 1975. The staff's rationale at the time was "what will you wear after a resupply" aka " we aren't sending you Gucci kit that isn't already on the books."

Rhetorical/ spitballing/ not trying to be an asshole: how many people would make it through some SOF selection course if only they had different boots? We see 3-4 posts on this a year, at least, the "what ruck/ boots/ socks/ eye color/ number of toes are authorized at Selection?"

As an outsider...I won't lie, it all sounds like an excuse. "Man, I'd have totally made it if I could wear xxxxx" as if your failing ruck time hinged upon a manufacturer.

As an outsider I struggle to understand how someone needs a leg up on the course to pass when thousands of others went in cold and made the same standards. "If only I trained with the right boots" sounds like an excuse, not an explanation.

ETA: I once listened to guy tell my 1SG that he failed the initial PT test in Ranger school because he "couldn't get enough oxygen." Complaining about the equipment also sounds like an excuse for failing to train.

Going along with the slight thread drift-

I was never issued gucci kit till I graduated and went to Group. During all my training we were issued the basic Army CIF kit and used that. To me it helped reinforce the fact that it's not about having special equipment, but being able to do the basics right every time. I found the saying was true: SF is about patrolling in the woods with iron sights, a map, and a compass.

Special warfare prep is currently issuing new boots to special warfare candidates. The brand they issue seem to be class proctor preference. This may or may not be a permanent practice but this is how it is currently.

I have heard that SW candidates are issued Lowa boots in Basic instead of the standard boots other Air Force personnel receive.

Is there any merit to this rumor or is it false? Asking because if this is true, I would like to start working with them to have familiarity with them.

Thank you in advance!

I have had this question answered.

AFSW Candidates do receive Lowa boots in the fourth week of BMT.
Just finished dinner with some of the SW Cadre (E-9,7,6)

They do issue Lowa boots to the candidates. They also have SW specific BMT flights, so it's the only boots they get (unless they are female with small feet, then they get Rocky's)

@AWP feel free to lock this thread. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back