age and sfas

I know of a 38 YO and a 42 YO. They both got their tabs so they must have done something right.

That's motivating. I'm thinking about doing an interstate transfer to the 19th group and have been working out like a dog. Considering I'm 35 I am finding that I need to work a little harder than I did when I was a motivated devil pup. (sigh). Such is life. Thanks for the input.

I went through with a 42 year old guy that was a complete stud. He did great. I know alot of older guys that were successful, it's not age, it's brains and determination that are required.

I know a 37 yr old that went through Irish SF selection too, and passed :)

It's all about YOU trusting your body and having the HEART to know you can finish.....Everything else is cake.... ;);)

Ask Varsity....

And don't break yourself preparing. Make sure you're giving yourself ample recovery time. In the long run, that'll pay more than "running 'til you puke."

i'm 32 and going sfas....age does not mean shit. As long as you prepare yourself.

i'm 32 and going sfas....age does not mean shit. As long as you prepare yourself.

The big question is, are you going to become a liability to your Team before your initial commitment to SF is completed. I hate to tell you, being an old FNG on a Team isn't pretty, and SF is a young man's game.

I hate to tell you this Gator - you don't know shit about what SF really entails, do you? You haven't even made it through the selection process (SFAS), to make it to the real selection process (SFQC) to make it to where the training really begins. Focus on your 25m target.

I have seen "old" guys make it through SFQC, but after a short time on a Team they went to company or Bn or Grp - because they did not want to be a liability.

end of today's lecture. RB, anything to add? Varsity? SBG? Crip?

The big question is, are you going to become a liability to your Team before your initial commitment to SF is completed. I hate to tell you, being an old FNG on a Team isn't pretty, and SF is a young man's game.

I hate to tell you this Gator - you don't know shit about what SF really entails, do you? You haven't even made it through the selection process (SFAS), to make it to the real selection process (SFQC) to make it to where the training really begins. Focus on your 25m target.

I have seen "old" guys make it through SFQC, but after a short time on a Team they went to company or Bn or Grp - because they did not want to be a liability.

I can speak from my own experience as a 34 year old guy on a team. It is only difficult keeping up with the younger guys if you get lazy or if you get injured. I think guys in their 30's are capable of out-performing younger soldiers, it's a matter of if you want it bad enough.

I hear you on this, and you are right about that i dont know what SF REALLY entails, but that's why i'm here to learn as much info that i can to be more prepare for the very long run. I will focus on my 25m target. Thank's for your reply.

I know a guy who has passed 3 tier one selection courses and served in those three units with distinction.

His age at passing the courses was.

He is currently 67 and still in the game! :cool:

I can speak from my own experience as a 34 year old guy on a team. It is only difficult keeping up with the younger guys if you get lazy or if you get injured. I think guys in their 30's are capable of out-performing younger soldiers, it's a matter of if you want it bad enough.

I just turned 36 a few days ago and can tell you I feel my age. I have absolutely no troubles keeping up with the young guys, with the exception of the couple that are freaks of nature and run sub-7's for miles on end, but I can out ruck most. I am in the best shape of my life as are a few of the other older guys on my ODA. I was 33 when I went to selection, and while I didnt "smoke" it by any stretch I was in far better shape than the average 24 y/o there. I was in the right frame of mind and was there to get the job done, nothing else...and never have become comfortable with using the words: try, give it my best, attempt, mustless quit.

All that being said I wish I was 10 years younger because I feel the 12 milers the next morning, and the morning after that as well. People talk about your mind being in the right place but X_SF is correct as well in that it is a young man's game. If you cant do it again and again, day in and day out then it aint for you.

Best of luck in your journey.

Crip

I have a related question... Who is the youngest you have seen?

To my knowledge you have to be 20 by the time you ship out to an ODA?
Maybe this should be it's own topic, I don't know, but it's bugging me cause I see and hear different things.

I have a related question... Who is the youngest you have seen?

To my knowledge you have to be 20 by the time you ship out to an ODA?
Maybe this should be it's own topic, I don't know, but it's bugging me cause I see and hear different things.

Without going into too much detail, it takes a while for 18X's to get through the pipeline. They can come in at 17 and finish at 19 if they are real lucky. I have seen one 19 year old kid on an ODA.. Total stud though.

Just keep in mind that SF is not what you may think it is... Keep an open mind and stop reading Mack Bolan books! (does that date me?) Read the new counter insurgency manual.

Without going into too much detail, it takes a while for 18X's to get through the pipeline. They can come in at 17 and finish at 19 if they are real lucky. I have seen one 19 year old kid on an ODA.. Total stud though.

Just keep in mind that SF is not what you may think it is... Keep an open mind and stop reading Mack Bolan books! (does that date me?) Read the new counter insurgency manual.

I have a pretty good idea what SF is, I have the best resource (dad and his group buds). He gives me books to read (like SOG, Robin Moore's, etc.) and I suck it all down.
I'm open to what your interpretation is, though. I realize I'm a book with empty pages, ready to be filled out with info from more knowledgable people.
Plus I have no experience other than as an Army brat.

Absofuckinglutely, read the ranger handbook, the COIN manual and "the company they keep". SOG won't teach you much about SF today. It will just frustrate you, by wondering why SF isn't that way anymore.

Oh shit were evolving. Sorry

Back