Air Force Special Warfare Training Wing

So, is this kind of a carve out from the 37th TRW? Does it just move all the BA TS under one more specialized Training Wing? ...and all still under AETC, I assume?

So, is this kind of a carve out from the 37th TRW? Does it just move all the BA TS under one more specialized Training Wing? ...and all still under AETC, I assume?
So, to expound a little bit...

The BA TS's were already organized under the Training Group; however, in order to properly train, equip, and provide appropriate forces to the combatant commands, we really need our own command. As the AF grows/evolves, the needs of the ground fighters (PJ/CCT/TACP/ALO/CRO/STO/Some possible others) have outstripped the ability of AETC to provide appropriate support.

Keep in mind- that's not a dig on AETC; they're the world's premier training enterprise for all things Air Power, but their focus is not ground combat. Ground combatants should train, equip, mentor, support and command other ground combatants. It seems like an obvious statement, but the AF has never had a ground maneuver force that they've task organized as such before. That time is now.

After the Force Improvement Program identified "Unity of Command" as near the top of the issues needing fixed, Gen Goldfein made it clear that the entire AFSOC community needed consolidated, streamlined and made more efficient. The Air Force Special Warfare Training Wing is the first large step; the AFSPECWAR Command is the logical next step. If there is only one command (AFSOC) telling the training command (AFSPECWARFARE) what they need and how to produce, that makes the entire enterprise more efficient.

Our new Wing Commander succinctly and cogently laid out his reasoning for the nomenclature change from "Battlefield Airmen" to "Special Warfare". Some things to note here- this does NOT apply to the force at large, only the training wing. AFSOC is still using the Special Tactics (ST) moniker and will for the foreseeable future. There are a lot of things on the horizon as far as merging career fields, different headwear and the like; that's largely unimportant to the overall goal which is professing the USAF's considerable capability to the joint environment. The bottom line is everyone else is "special", so being the only service that uses something like "Battlefield Airmen" doesn't really communicate. The AF has Special Operators; they are scouted, recruited and developed by Special Operations Recruiter until they are ready to enter the USAF; they train in the Special Warfare Training Wing until they get qualified; then they are Special Operators working for the Special Tactics enterprise providing a joint capability to Special Forces and Marine Special Operations Commandos and Naval Special Warfare, among others.

That's the short of it; if anyone has questions we can go from there.

They've got 11 facilities listed where they currently offer the training. Is the AF going to consolidate those and maybe make one or two special warfare training centers?

Is this also a sign of TACP coming under the fold of AFSOC, outside of just the 17th?

They've got 11 facilities listed where they currently offer the training. Is the AF going to consolidate those and maybe make one or two special warfare training centers?
That has been in the works for quite a while. Called "Strategic Basing", once a command is established a "Center of Excellence" encompassing all facets of training for the career fields would make sense. Strat Basing sort of hit a wall a while ago and lost steam for a number of different reasons, but the short answer is yes, a consolidation for training of all AFSC's is being evaluated.

Is this also a sign of TACP coming under the fold of AFSOC, outside of just the 17th?
So, this is more in line with the move for all trained active duty forces of multiple AFSC's converging under the AFSOC banner. Some of the things I eluded to (single career field with shred outs, unilateral employment, multiple AFSC's) are in the works now and will happen soon-ish; I can tell you TACP as an entire career field (for now) is staying with ACC as the Air/Ground link between the preponderance of force request (Army) and the capability provider (Air Force).

I think (my opinion here) there should be a contingent of TACP, MWD handlers, EOD and select SecFo forces specifically screened, trained and equipped through the AFSPECWAR organization to provide attached/assigned force component combat support functions. The larger groups of those AFSC's can remain in their current command and just provide their best ISO AFSOC mission sets.

I think (my opinion here) there should be a contingent of TACP, MWD handlers, EOD and select SecFo forces specifically screened, trained and equipped through the AFSPECWAR organization to provide attached/assigned force component combat support functions. The larger groups of those AFSC's can remain in their current command and just provide their best ISO AFSOC mission sets.
IIRC that was Col Brotchie's vision, problem is the non-ST careerfields will treat a ST assignment as career broadening, and you will see a constant rotation of people through the squadrons (if AFSOC/24 SOW don't create staff positions).

IIRC that was Col Brotchie's vision, problem is the non-ST careerfields will treat a ST assignment as career broadening, and you will see a constant rotation of people through the squadrons (if AFSOC/24 SOW don't create staff positions).
You fix that problem w SEI and skill ID codes and shred outs. This is one of those topics that’s more a 50m Target at the moment.

I'm currently in AFSWDEV and I've heard rumours of a new selection that encompass all career fields (PJ, CCT, TACP) is this true?

I'm currently in AFSWDEV and I've heard rumours of a new selection that encompass all career fields (PJ, CCT, TACP) is this true?
Short answer yes; there are big changes coming to the COIEs and assessment/selection. I’ll throw updates out there as things get finalized- nothing is set yet and I have a good feeling I’m very close to the ground floor of all those discussions.

Bottom line- train hard and don’t worry about rumor mill. Lots of goodness coming very soon.

Wow. A lot of interesting changes.

In re: new weapon system under AFSOC, does this also mean GA will also be no more? If so, where does SERE fall under this new structure?
Yes, no more "GA". Branding is a really hot topic at the moment; there will be a new name encompassing all Operators (probably won't be "ST"; currently it's listed as "Weapon System X" and "Brand X" as a place holder in the documents).

SERE will be staying under AETC and ACC for the time being. TACP as well.

Back