All Things MMA, Judo, Sumo

There's a martial arts social influencer, goes by "Sensei Seth." He is a very talented black belt in karate, but he has tried multiple disciplines and has videos all over YouTube and is on insta.

A couple months ago he came to our studio for a judo class, the video is up on YouTube. I have a brief appearance lol. Later when I pull up my laptop I might try to link it here.

New unit holds combatives courses every day of the week, so I’ve started going. First day of no-gi and I easily got choked out close to a dozen times. Big ego check, but having a blast! So much so that I got a gi and am gonna keep showing up. Keep telling my wife I’m learning how to fold laundry with people still wearing the clothes.

New unit holds combatives courses every day of the week, so I’ve started going. First day of no-gi and I easily got choked out close to a dozen times. Big ego check, but having a blast! So much so that I got a gi and am gonna keep showing up. Keep telling my wife I’m learning how to fold laundry with people still wearing the clothes.

"Nap, tap, or snap." Those are the goals.

I went to the noon roll today, I was rolling with the MMA instructor who is also a BJJ black belt. He is an awesome guy, former Marine, and he's very patient and instructional when he rolls with anyone, especially white belts and blue belts. I had his back and was trying to choke him, but I had inefficient hand placement. He showed me how to change it and 30 seconds later he was close to passing out. Not because I'm good, but because he allowed it lol.

My wife wants to see me choked by a 130 pound lady.

The coach last night said, his first time, he's a black belt now, he was choked by someone half his size.

I watch the orgin/jocko videos, it looks cool. Looking forward to it.

My very first class was judo, I did randori (sparring) against a judo brown belt/BJJ brown belt. She's 5'4" and maybe 120#, and just the nicest girl (mid-20s). She threw me time after time after time, every time she would say "I'm sorry!" Lol. I haven't rolled with her in BJJ, I think I'm too scared.

My wife wants to see me choked by a 130 pound lady.

The coach last night said, his first time, he's a black belt now, he was choked by someone half his size.

I watch the orgin/jocko videos, it looks cool. Looking forward to it.

I bounced around the Springs a couple years back trying different BJJ gyms; at one of them, this one chick royally fucked me up for 5 minutes straight during the open mat.

Turned out she's Sort of a professional at doing that.

(I like to only mention her strangling me, not the other 3 chicks that did the same thing that night lol.)

I bounced around the Springs a couple years back trying different BJJ gyms; at one of them, this one chick royally fucked me up for 5 minutes straight during the open mat.

Turned out she's Sort of a professional at doing that.

(I like to only mention her strangling me, not the other 3 chicks that did the same thing that night lol.)

She's fucking gorgeous

YouTube vid of 'Sensei Seth' at our judo class:

I really enjoyed watching the champion in the last few minutes. Relaxed the whole time and just toying with Seth, doing things to make him commit and then taking him off balance, sort of like you see in capoeira angola. The loose, whipping arm movements he made around 14:36 to create openings also reminded me of full speed chi sao.

I really enjoyed watching the champion in the last few minutes. Relaxed the whole time and just toying with Seth, doing things to make him commit and then taking him off balance, sort of like you see in capoeira angola. The loose, whipping arm movements he made around 14:36 to create openings also reminded me of full speed chi sao.

Two of the black belts there, one is the 'champion' with whom you refer, the other one is the main instructor, both have so much experience, and doing randori with them, they're just toying with you. It's more about your experience at that point than theirs for sure.

Completed my first BJJ class. I'm not dead, its really me.

2 black belt professors, a brown belt coach, bunch of blue belts, 3 or 4 white belts, my dumb ass.

They paired me with a blue belt, nice kid, very patient with me. Practiced a single leg take down to a guard to a leg staple to a side guard.

I was not nearly as smoked as I'd thought I'd be, though, in the grand scheme of things, it's moderate activity as best, but, coming off major surgery 4 months ago and from being a fat bastard to way less of a fat bastard, I think I did ok.

The one professor even told me, I moved better than I made em think. My Paratrooper knees and back hurt but Tylenol will help.

Next Wednesday, I'll go back plus I want to try a cardio kick boxing class before.

If I ever started to roll, I'd grab some Gordon Ryan training videos. Straight monster.

He is a beast, but if you are new, watching him would be like watching Mario Andretti or Dale Earnhardt when you learn to drive.

Chewjitsu and The Art of Skill are good places to start. But Ryan is fun to watch.

I was watching Chew last night after class. I listen to jocko with his pearls of wisdom.

Back