Altimeter

Kaldak

Wheelchair Kamikaze
Verified Military
I saw mentions of altimeter in previous posts regarding some fancy watches. I am not looking for anything I'd worry about destroying.

I'm looking for a recommendation on a reliable altimeter to use while out in the hills and mountains of the western US states and probably western Canada.

I'm doing a lot of driving and when the option presents itself, going off road in my wheelchair (hence the need for rugged). It would be very nice to know my varying elevation points given where I happen to be at a given time. Something that doesn't involve my phone (lack of any service is common) would be preferable.

I'm willing to pay a bit, but nothing bank breaking if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There are quite a few Suunto model watches that have an altimeter function. I've never used any of the G-Shocks, so I can't really speak to them. I used a Suunto/Metron for several years and even though using the altimeter function for skydiving is NOT recommended, I still put a lot of jumps on it just out of curiosity. It was usually dead-on during the ride to altitude when comparing it to my primary altimeter. In free fall, it would lag by a few hundred feet, but I was never really all that concerned about a 'few hundred feet' when I was wearing it. I wore it as a backup device and the the very few times that I used it as my primary was when I was shooting tandem videos and even then it was after I had used it enough to have confidence that it would suit my needs (I also kept an audible altimeter inside my helmet).

With current tech' I would imagine that any of the current Suunto models with an altimeter function would meet your needs.

I used G-Shocks in Afghanistan, never had a problem with them. I've also never heard a bad word about Suunto.

If I were in the market those two manufacturers would be my list and then it would come down to features/ price point. YMMV

I like the Suunto Core watches. But if you do not need all the sports do-dads, Casio makes several watches with altimeters. The Pro Trek comes to mind. Some of their G-Shocks also have the feature.
I have a Casio Mudmaster...good watch, has a few bells and whistles...did not buy the top of the line, spent around $300 or so at the beginning of the pandemic...I'd say the altimeter is accurate to 200 feet +/-...

I've worn G-Shocks for a long time and beat the shit out of them. Used them for diving. Never an issue. They last. Well worth the money.

Last edited:
I have a Casio Mudmaster...good watch, has a few bells and whistles...did not buy the top of the line, spent around $300 or so at the beginning of the pandemic...I'd say the altimeter is accurate to 200 feet +/-...

I have it's little brother, the Mudman. It's a tank. It'll outlast me.

I also have a Suunto, which I rarely ware but need to as I need to get back into zone 2/3 training.

Back