Am I ready for RASP

jwa

Unverified
Hello I am currently in AIT as a 13f. We recived a brief from the Rangers and I decided to volunteer. My question is am I ready for RASP? I currently have a PT score of 281 and a GT score of 142. The problem I forsee is that I may not be able to get enough extra PT in on my personal time here at AIT. My weakest point is my 2mile run at 14:21 I can max pushups and situps, ruck and do 8 strick pullups( more if I kip). Overall, was volunteering now the call, I know its harder to go to RASP from a unit so it seems like now is the time. Any and all help, advice, or just general info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You sound squared away. I didn’t even know GTs went over 140... RASP isn’t that crazy physically hard so just keep those PT numbers up and work on your run the best you can. Good luck

Thank you. We are running 3 times a week in AIT (sprints and distance) and sometimes we get an hour at night to do extra pt. Utilizing that hour to improve my run is proving to be a pain because it can be hit or miss if we get it. Being able to work on my run, even when I cant run is what im trying to figure out how to do, as odd as that may sound. Again thank you for all the help

You sound squared away. I didn’t even know GTs went over 140... RASP isn’t that crazy physically hard so just keep those PT numbers up and work on your run the best you can. Good luck

If you dont mind me asking what was RASP like when you went through and how long ago did you go through?

If you dont mind me asking what was RASP like when you went through and how long ago did you go through?
It’s a kick in the nuts is all I’ll say. But totally doable. Watch the documentary online from 2012 and not much has changed.

If you dont mind me asking what was RASP like when you went through
There are countless videos/stories about RASP on the net....and one thing you won't get on this site are tips/tricks to G2 (game) the system.

Take advantage of member's willingness to share by asking specific and pointed questions, don't take advantage of their willingness to share by asking something you should Google.

To add - I did a search on this forum for RASP and found 30+ pages of discussion...and surprisingly there were some older posts with a few tips/tricks that I am surprised were on the forum. The site is a fantastic resource, sometimes ya just gotta dig through the archives a bit!

Thank you for the advice. I dont want game the system thats for sure (that would defeat the purpose of doing RASP at all) I just wanted a second opinion on if ready to follow through. I think Im gonna split my pass this weekend between the gym and reaserch here. Also thank you for the documentary recomendation.

The 75th is arguably the most physically fit unit in ARSOF. I am always impressed with the 75th guys I meet, and their achievements on the battlefield are unparalleled.

RASP will go easier for anyone who is absolutely crushing their APFT. Run your ass off and get that time down to 13:00. It isn't a requirement, but you will be better off. Work hard at your pull-ups as much as possible, and do not kip-up or any of that CROSSFIT pull-up/chin-up crap. When they test the pull-ups, you will start from a dead hang, and you will pull all the way up and lower all the way down for a rep to count. The pushups you are doing need to be good ones as well. Practice your push ups by going all the way to the ground and lifting your hands up off the ground before pushing back up as well. The APFT is changing, so that is a benefit, but that also teaches you to actually go all the way down. I would try to slap that chest to the ground if I were you, because as a grader, there is no doubt when someone is doing that. I know what the Army PT manual says, but I think it is solid advice to get the pushups as close to the ground as possible. You will see a lot of people doing bullshit push-ups in AIT, and sometime they will get counted on the APFT. This will not be the case at RASP. You will need to be doing good push-ups, good pull-ups, and running fast.

I don't want to give you the wrong idea either. Memorize the Ranger Creed starting right now and start learning some knots as well. GROG Knots app is pretty good. If you are a GT 142, most everything else shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't terrible at land nav.

The 75th is arguably the most physically fit unit in ARSOF. I am always impressed with the 75th guys I meet, and their achievements on the battlefield are unparalleled.

RASP will go easier for anyone who is absolutely crushing their APFT. Run your ass off and get that time down to 13:00. It isn't a requirement, but you will be better off. Work hard at your pull-ups as much as possible, and do not kip-up or any of that CROSSFIT pull-up/chin-up crap. When they test the pull-ups, you will start from a dead hang, and you will pull all the way up and lower all the way down for a rep to count. The pushups you are doing need to be good ones as well. Practice your push ups by going all the way to the ground and lifting your hands up off the ground before pushing back up as well. The APFT is changing, so that is a benefit, but that also teaches you to actually go all the way down. I would try to slap that chest to the ground if I were you, because as a grader, there is no doubt when someone is doing that. I know what the Army PT manual says, but I think it is solid advice to get the pushups as close to the ground as possible. You will see a lot of people doing bullshit push-ups in AIT, and sometime they will get counted on the APFT. This will not be the case at RASP. You will need to be doing good push-ups, good pull-ups, and running fast.

I don't want to give you the wrong idea either. Memorize the Ranger Creed starting right now and start learning some knots as well. GROG Knots app is pretty good. If you are a GT 142, most everything else shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't terrible at land nav.
Is it true they don't count pushups after the first time you rest?

Back