Any tips regarding VA disability claim process and transition resources?

Thotful

Unverified
Hey everyone, I am currently an active 0372 due to EAS within a year or so. I‘m just looking for any knowledge regarding the two topics below based off of people‘s experience to supplement what I can find off google And word of mouth.

1. Any helpful tips that you wish you knew when going through the VA disability claim process. My main concern is my neglect to go to medical for most things throughout my career due to not wanting to be on light duty or dumb reasons. I have witnessed in my old job prior to SOF, guys who seemed to be at medical all the time (always happens to be very overweight and lazy dudes) get 80-100% and hardworking dudes who had real bodily issues get shafted because nothing was documented. Any information or stories regarding this subject will be very helpful.

2. Any helpful websites or resources regarding transition and future job opportunities, preferably SOF specific. Mostly looking for anything to supplement the typical TRS brief or what the Marine Corps offers.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks I’m advance.

Hey everyone, I am currently an active 0372 due to EAS within a year or so. I‘m just looking for any knowledge regarding the two topics below based off of people‘s experience to supplement what I can find off google And word of mouth.

1. Any helpful tips that you wish you knew when going through the VA disability claim process. My main concern is my neglect to go to medical for most things throughout my career due to not wanting to be on light duty or dumb reasons. I have witnessed in my old job prior to SOF, guys who seemed to be at medical all the time (always happens to be very overweight and lazy dudes) get 80-100% and hardworking dudes who had real bodily issues get shafted because nothing was documented. Any information or stories regarding this subject will be very helpful.

2. Any helpful websites or resources regarding transition and future job opportunities, preferably SOF specific. Mostly looking for anything to supplement the typical TRS brief or what the Marine Corps offers.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks I’m advance.
Start getting everything documented.

I started out with 30% even though I had 2 PHs. You have to prove everything. When I applied later I was told that when you go for your C&P that you tell them everything. Most combat vets don't want to lay it all out but you have to. Took me 3 times to work my way up the system till I finally got 100%.

Use a veterans organization to help out with filing. You don't have to belong to one but they will help you file and appeal (because everything is denied the first time I swear). Don't sugar coat anything and start going to medical to get shit documented. When you ETS get your records and make several copies of it all. Inevitably one will "get lost" along the way, bring a full copy with you to appointments for C&P, if/when you get a doc just give them the full file.

Just what I've dealt with as a spouse of a rated vet. If you are married make sure to sign the paperwork saying your spouse is authorized for everything otherwise they cannot make appointments, take messages, or ever talk to anyone in the VA about anything regarding you.

Being 12 months from EAS, you are eligible (and required) to complete TRS which will not only answer all of your questions but provide appropriate resources to your employment desires.

The program is completely revamped on the West Coast which is my lane but I would imagine DoD wide.

Contact your S-1 or 3 or company rep for the registration. Im currently a company first sergeant so I deal with this situation for my EASers all the time.

COVID-19 has impacted this opportunity a lot but Id imagine without much effect to the desired effects. PM me if youre on the west coast, I just finished medically retiring a Marine and have VA resources you could use here.

Back