Anyone ever tru-hiked the Appalachian Trail?

Never done the whole thing (an epic feat for those who can devote that qty of time), but I have done several 50k races on the trail. You might do a few of those and see if that gets it out of your system.

There are various military and support events several times per year on the trail and as a Marine, you'd be welcomed to (most of) them. If, after a 50k, you still can't get enough, then it's time to start the logistical planning for bigger things. As for me, I got it out of my system.

Most bears are afraid of people so they usually will just run away. Unless a mother feels her cubs are in danger, then your screwed.

Erm, the defense of life/property kill I had to do on a bear up in Alaska was a black bear... Nothing better than something built like "The Swede" from Heartbreak Ridge underneath all that fur, that thinks you're a source of his next protein stack...

ie, bears generally move along because they wanted to, not because you did action X unless it involved pain... and even then it's not a guarantee with pain. I trust bear spray about as far as I can throw it.

Half the time bangers (projectile flashbangs, basically) didn't work and rubber slugs were needed (repeatedly, typically 2-4 rubber slugs at approx 25 yards) to get the black and brown bears I had to deal with to finally fuck off.

I carried a gerber mutiltool in Afghanistan, piece of cheap shit. If i were to do this trip, i'd carry a decent multitool, leatherman/swiss tool, as well as a good multipurpose sheath knife. Walking stick/poles are invaluable, particularly when river crossing/animal encounters etc...
You can spend a ton of money doing this, but you really dont need too.

I only used my gerber for basic stuff the cleaning weapons or opening packages. Always wanted a leatherman but they're so expensive. I guess it would be worth it for a long trip like this though.

I only used my gerber for basic stuff the cleaning weapons or opening packages. Always wanted a leatherman but they're so expensive. I guess it would be worth it for a long trip like this though.

A 2 second search on google gave me this... $35 with a 25 year warranty.
Ive been carrying the same leatherman for about 15 years now, no issues at all. My issued gerber broke when I wasn't using it after about 3 mths.

https://www.premiumselectsupplies.c...xiAJ0GZwAWki8NWo20XMm2wbkjcXeixy4xoCoo_w_wcB&

I'd want a sheath knife as well, I'll defer to others like @x SF med as to what particular knife would be good for that though.

You can spend a ton of money doing this, but you really dont need too.
This, I also second a good walking stick, not one of those light weight extendable things either, a good strong wood pole acts as a walking stick, a lever, a center pole of a makeshift tent, etc, etc. Avoid uni-taskers, everything you carry needs to justify it's weight. The more you carry the more you'll be tired and the more calories you'll burn, which will require more food weight. Stick to a light weight lifestyle, and use those small towns to re-stock and re-rejuvenate. That and plan your major stopping points in advance, where you sleep each night might change based on how you're feeling, but the big rest and refuel points should be known, they'll help with having goals.

Sorry if this sounds preachy, I sure as fuck haven't done this and I'm jealous of your opportunity. Just some of the tid bits I've learned hiking in the region and what I've kept as sound advice for my future attempt at the same. By the way, have you read "A Walk in the Woods?"

The light weight aluminum walking sticks do seem to work well with kifaru tarps so that part of my advice may be off.....

This, I also second a good walking stick, not one of those light weight extendable things either, a good strong wood pole acts as a walking stick, a lever, a center pole of a makeshift tent, etc, etc. Avoid uni-taskers, everything you carry needs to justify it's weight. The more you carry the more you'll be tired and the more calories you'll burn, which will require more food weight. Stick to a light weight lifestyle, and use those small towns to re-stock and re-rejuvenate. That and plan your major stopping points in advance, where you sleep each night might change based on how you're feeling, but the big rest and refuel points should be known, they'll help with having goals.

Sorry if this sounds preachy, I sure as fuck haven't done this and I'm jealous of your opportunity. Just some of the tid bits I've learned hiking in the region and what I've kept as sound advice for my future attempt at the same. By the way, have you read "A Walk in the Woods?"

The light weight aluminum walking sticks do seem to work well with kifaru tarps so that part of my advice may be off.....

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm currently making up a gear list for this trip. My biggest worry is food, not only the money to spend on it but the weight as well. I want to keep my pack no more than 40lbs, and that's pushing it in my opinion. Food and water will probably take up most of the weight.

Gear list so far...
- Gregory z65 Pack
- Lamina 0 Sleeping Bag
- Exofficio Men's Give-N-Go boxer brief (x2-3)
- Darn Tough hiking socks (x3)
- Merrell Moab Mid Gore-Tex Hiking Boot
- North Face Gor-tex jacket
- Petzl headlamp
- Beanie/neck gaiter
- Kuhl hiking panks (x2)
- Long and short sleeved shirt (x2-3)
- Multitool
- Cold Steal Recon 1 knife (or maybe a sheath knife everyone has been recommending)
- Sleeping pad
- Dry sacks
- 32oz Nalgene's (x1-2)
- Hygiene gear
- Pelican case (for phone/wallet/camera/etc)
- Poncho liner (optional)
- Tarp (optional)
- 1 man tent (optional)

That's the main stuff right now. I want to head to a military base and do some shopping at the PXs there. Would like to purchase one of those dry sacks w/ the orange lining on the inside. Can't find any good dry sacks at outdoor stores around here. Would also like a lightweight 1 man tent if I can find one. Feel free to add some input

I'd add something for treating/filtering water to the list and a GPS. Make sure whenever you do go you leave a detailed plan with someone including route, check-in times. People get lost/sick on the trail every year and without an idea of where they are some are never found. This is where a SPOT device or something can be handy, but even having your GPS coordinates can literately be a life saver. From what I've heard/read there is cell reception for most of the trail to be able to at least get a text out.

I'd love to get a Grayman.

When my buddy did it, I remember him sending home a bunch of gear as he realized it was unnecessary weight. Looking through his Facebook page yesterday, he went through two packs and lost 65 pounds in 190 days. One thing he also chimed in a lot on was it not being a race.

1- Pelican case (for phone/wallet/camera/etc)
2- Poncho liner (optional)
3- Tarp (optional)
4- 1 man tent (optional)

1- Plastic bag, zip lock/MRE drink bag
2- No need if you have a sleeping bag, and a sleeping bag is far superior.
3- Use a poncho, wear it and sleep under it, two birds with one stone.
4- Again, use a poncho. Also get a gortex bivi bag for your sleeping bag.

I'd add something for treating/filtering water to the list and a GPS. Make sure whenever you do go you leave a detailed plan with someone including route, check-in times. People get lost/sick on the trail every year and without an idea of where they are some are never found. This is where a SPOT device or something can be handy, but even having your GPS coordinates can literately be a life saver. From what I've heard/read there is cell reception for most of the trail to be able to at least get a text out.

Yeah I forgot about that. Will have to get some iodine drops.

I'd love to get a Grayman.

When my buddy did it, I remember him sending home a bunch of gear as he realized it was unnecessary weight. Looking through his Facebook page yesterday, he went through two packs and lost 65 pounds in 190 days. One thing he also chimed in a lot on was it not being a race.

Damn, that's a lot of weight. I'm 172, the lowest I've ever been is 140ish coming out of the island.

1- Plastic bag, zip lock/MRE drink bag
2- No need if you have a sleeping bag, and a sleeping bag is far superior.
3- Use a poncho, wear it and sleep under it, two birds with one stone.
4- Again, use a poncho. Also get a gortex bivi bag for your sleeping bag.

I wouldn't trust a plastic bag with my phone in it, would be too afraid of it cracking the screen. I was just thinking about the poncho liner on the cold days since I'd be starting early on the trail. I used to use the poncho liner while inside the sleeping bag on field ops in the winter, warm as hell. I am looking for a bivy cover though

I would spend the money on a good sheath/survival knife anyway... and decent sharpening gear. But, hey, it's just another excuse to buy a knife for me...
I always take my Yarborough knife with me when I go hiking. Its big enough to replace a small hatchet, and holds an edge incredibly well.

If I could only bring one thing with me, that would probably be it.

I wouldn't trust a plastic bag with my phone in it, would be too afraid of it cracking the screen. I was just thinking about the poncho liner on the cold days since I'd be starting early on the trail. I used to use the poncho liner while inside the sleeping bag on field ops in the winter, warm as hell. I am looking for a bivy cover though

There are small, waterproof hard cases for phones etc... I had one but don't use it now, it's not a bad idea, I got mine from either REI or EMS but what are you going to that would really require it? If you pack your gear properly it will be protected.
Poncho liner, well why not just get a decent/warmer sleeping bag? You wont need it once you start walking. Up to you though.
I'd recommend taking a lighter (Bic etc...) water proof matches and something like a firesteel/magnesium block, as well as tinder (clothes dryer lint etc...).
Take a cups canteen/steel cup, that you can cook/heat with.

Remember, when things go bad, you need to get out of the rain/snow, get warm and drink.

Last edited:
There are small, waterproof hard cases for phones etc... I had one but don't use it now, it's not a bad idea, I got mine from either REI or EMS but what are you going to that would really require it? If you pack your gear properly it will be protected.
Poncho liner, well why not just get a decent/warmer sleeping bag? You wont need it once you start walking. Up to you though.
I'd recommend taking a light (Bic etc...) water proof matches and something like a firesteel/magnesium block, as well as tinder (clothes dryer lint etc...).
Take a cups canteen/steel cup, that you can cook/heat with.

Remember, when things go bad, you need to get out of the rain/snow, get warm and drink.

I just bought a zero degree bag, it should be enough. But I read it gets pretty frigid down south in Feb/Mar time. Just wanted to be sure.

Back