ANZAC Day 2008

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.

Kamal Ataturk, commander of the 19th Division at Gallipoli in 1915.

That really is a very moving and wonderful tribute from Ataturk, a great leader.

That really is a very moving and wonderful tribute from Ataturk, a great leader.
X2. Last week the Military Channel ran the episode of the BBC series on WWI that deals with the war in the Middle East. It provided a very moving account of Gallipoli. When I was young my education on the First World War centered on the events in Europe and US participation there. There was a whole other side of the war that I have only come to know and understand as an adult....

I love it so so many civis, mainly young people make the pilgrimage to ANZAC cove in Turkey each year for this sacred day, makes me proud.
I was there in 2001, the ceremony now is significantly bigger and more organised (TV screens etc...) than when I was there and it was very crowed then.
My goal is to return after ANZAC day and camp there for a few nights, in or beside ANZAC trenches.

I haven't been to Gallipoli yet, I have been to Long Tan though, walking old battle grounds is an amazing experience, I'd love to look up at the Sphinx from ANZAC and look over the Nek and Lone Pine.

I haven't been to Gallipoli yet, I have been to Long Tan though, walking old battle grounds is an amazing experience, I'd love to look up at the Sphinx from ANZAC and look over the Nek and Lone Pine.

WOW, you've been to Long Tan! Was that as a rep from the ADF?
Phoc Toy is high on my list of places to visit.

Gallipoli is incredible, I walked from the landing beach and went straight up the cliffs the ANZACs had to on th 25th then turned and looked down on the beach, I'm amazed anyone made it up alive, it's the perfect killing ground.

Here are a couple of pics of the landing beach from the top of the bluff.

Attachments

• from turk positions looking at landing beach.jpg
    from turk positions looking at landing beach.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 5
  • from the turk postions overlooking Suvla bay.jpg
    from the turk postions overlooking Suvla bay.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 5
A few mates and I went to Long Tan for the 40th Anniversary of the battle. It's still rubber plantation, flat as a shit carters hat, it's just unbelievable that over 80% of the Company managed to get out alive.

Nui Dat front gate.

Long Tan Cross.

Long Tan Rubber.

[ame="http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o121/digrar/?action=view&current=167.flv"]
th_167.jpg
[/ame]

I accidentally found the Attaturk memorial the other day. Very nice up there. He was a gracious man and leader.

Lest we forget.

Point of Inquiry, kind sir...

Pardus: serious question, for cultural clarity...

Is "Waltzing Matilda" a song that is specifically Australian, specificially EnZed, or does it transcend across the ANZAC claimancy?

Thanks.
It was written by Banjo Paterson in 1895. It has a widely-known connection to the infamous "Man From the Snowy River." Both of which are historically Australian, but well known throughout New Zealand as well.

It was written by Banjo Paterson in 1895. It has a widely-known connection to the infamous "Man From the Snowy River." Both of which are historically Australian, but well known throughout New Zealand as well.

It's not that well known here. I've heard of it but never heard it. I think that'll be most Kiwis' take on it.

Dude there was a TV series about it, remember people with bad accents, a horse, a small hill that the Aussies claim as a mountain.

It's not that well known here. I've heard of it but never heard it. I think that'll be most Kiwis' take on it.

Seriously?
WTF is happening to the worldly knowledge Kiwis 'used' to have?
Shit we used to sing Waltzing Matilda at school.

(We were forced to do that as part of the Kiwi invasion plans of OZ back in the 80's and 90's.
A successful operation that almost overwhelmed the Aussie dole system.)

Dude there was a TV series about it, remember people with bad accents, a horse, a small hill that the Aussies claim as a mountain.

Ah so Spit's a dumbfuck...

My bad! I forgot he was a pig islander.

I remember it vaguely...that was the early/mid 90s IIRC. I was pretty young then, we were all about the cricket, not watching TV. Actually that's an interesting thing, growing up in a small semi-rural town and the city. I've done both and while I think I was more active as a kid in the town, I think I would have gotten into trouble as a teenager with nothing to do.

Seriously?
WTF is happening to the worldly knowledge Kiwis 'used' to have?
Shit we used to sing Waltzing Matilda at school.

(We were forced to do that as part of the Kiwi invasion plans of OZ back in the 80's and 90's.
A successful operation that almost overwhelmed the Aussie dole system.)

Ah so Spit's a dumbfuck...

My bad! I forgot he was a pig islander.

Hey, I did my sentence in the South Island, 4 years, out for good behaviour!

I wouldn't say knowing The Man From Snowy River to be worldly knowledge though...

I was thinking more the song, the TV thing is a more age specific deal for sure.

I grew up in a rural area, we did in a bit of trouble but it was pretty harmless shit for the most part.

Back