Applying for DIA Position

Russ

Special Forces
Verified SOF
I did a search and didn't see anything about applying for DIA positions. I'm looking at applying for the HUMINT career field and wanted to see if any of gentlemen had any insight(unclass of course) on the hiring process and what my actual odds of even getting an interview are. Just to give you a little background I spent almost 11 years active duty as SF, I did the ASO thing and have a few combat deployments doing ASO.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I worked there in uniform for about 18 months but that's been a few years (left in 2010). If you don't know someone specific your best bet is USAJobs and apply for everything you're even slightly interested in at DIA. Same as most DA jobs your resume will go into each of those queues, be reviewed, and you'll be invited to interview for the ones you place in the top 5-10 candidates for as reviewed by the hiring board. Then you interview and see how you do.

The thing is, once you interview you can get on the radar of the hiring board. Generally those folks work in various offices and know about job openings coming up in the future. If you're a good candidate you can essentially get your resume 'saved' to put in for those other positions.

When I left it was a fairly long process - but a lot of that had to do with various hiring 'freezes' at various levels. There are a bunch of open positions - there always are - but there are budgetary constraints that make little logical sense that delay the process.

Another thing to consider is if you know the area you want to work - general career path (OPS, analysis, etc.) - you might consider also applying to other agencies in the general field. Once you're in the DA system moving over is easier than getting hired off the street.

I worked there in uniform for about 18 months but that's been a few years (left in 2010). If you don't know someone specific your best bet is USAJobs and apply for everything you're even slightly interested in at DIA. Same as most DA jobs your resume will go into each of those queues, be reviewed, and you'll be invited to interview for the ones you place in the top 5-10 candidates for as reviewed by the hiring board. Then you interview and see how you do.

The thing is, once you interview you can get on the radar of the hiring board. Generally those folks work in various offices and know about job openings coming up in the future. If you're a good candidate you can essentially get your resume 'saved' to put in for those other positions.

When I left it was a fairly long process - but a lot of that had to do with various hiring 'freezes' at various levels. There are a bunch of open positions - there always are - but there are budgetary constraints that make little logical sense that delay the process.

Another thing to consider is if you know the area you want to work - general career path (OPS, analysis, etc.) - you might consider also applying to other agencies in the general field. Once you're in the DA system moving over is easier than getting hired off the street.

I figured it was one of the "you have to know a guy" type of situations. I've worked with their HUMINT collectors down range and they were good people they always got weird whenever I asked about applying with them.

If I'm fortunate enough to get through the resume screening I'm confident in my interviewing ability, skill set and overall rapport building skills. Even I didn't get an offer I believe I could make a good impression.

It would be nice to get on with them, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. Time will tell.

The 'know a guy' aspect is really just a jump on navigating the hiring process - DIA is big enough it's hard to cut corners for less than an SES. So, you've still got a solid shot without any direct connections.

It sounds like from your post you're interested in a HUMINT collector position. From my experience only CIA and DIA (outside the DoD) will take on HUMINT collectors on a 'will train' basis. DIA, at least several years ago, really like to hire young folks and send them through several years of school - about a 3-5 year pipeline to full collector but they got a lot of exposure to the analytic (main) elements of the organization. However, back then the FTC graduation rate was not the best and since then everyone is required to go through FTC. So, they may be more inclined to take on more experienced folks. The option of starting in another specialty and moving over is always a good way to go though. Like a lot of difficult schools there are always last minute drops so somebody waiting in the wings to go can do pretty well from DIA and some DoD units.

All the other source collector positions I know who have civilians generally are going to take folks with all, or almost all, of their collector training completed. Not sure if you went through any levels of ASOT when you were in SF but that might open some doors with those other places.

If you're in the RC, or are still eligible for the RC, you might consider joining one of the RC units that drills with DIA - 3100, 3200, and 3300 SIG. They're replete with folks double-dipping (both IC civilians/contractors and TPU RC Soldiers). That's another great way to get a foot in the door.

Feel free to PM me or @Marauder06 if you'd like to talk more. Not to share his business too much but @Marauder06 graduated from a very prestigious school run out of the DIA.

I knew this chick who had been going through the process of getting on with DIA (uniform side), I want to say she was an interrogator or some shit. Anyway I remember her being all bitchy about the process taking forever. I don't know if she ever got on or not, but do recall her being a total bitch about all the hoops she was jumping through.

Mod edit

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a search and didn't see anything about applying for DIA positions. I'm looking at applying for the HUMINT career field and wanted to see if any of gentlemen had any insight(unclass of course) on the hiring process and what my actual odds of even getting an interview are. Just to give you a little background I spent almost 11 years active duty as SF, I did the ASO thing and have a few combat deployments doing ASO.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Have you already applied?

The 'know a guy' aspect is really just a jump on navigating the hiring process - DIA is big enough it's hard to cut corners for less than an SES. So, you've still got a solid shot without any direct connections.

It sounds like from your post you're interested in a HUMINT collector position. From my experience only CIA and DIA (outside the DoD) will take on HUMINT collectors on a 'will train' basis. DIA, at least several years ago, really like to hire young folks and send them through several years of school - about a 3-5 year pipeline to full collector but they got a lot of exposure to the analytic (main) elements of the organization. However, back then the FTC graduation rate was not the best and since then everyone is required to go through FTC. So, they may be more inclined to take on more experienced folks. The option of starting in another specialty and moving over is always a good way to go though. Like a lot of difficult schools there are always last minute drops so somebody waiting in the wings to go can do pretty well from DIA and some DoD units.

All the other source collector positions I know who have civilians generally are going to take folks with all, or almost all, of their collector training completed. Not sure if you went through any levels of ASOT when you were in SF but that might open some doors with those other places.

If you're in the RC, or are still eligible for the RC, you might consider joining one of the RC units that drills with DIA - 3100, 3200, and 3300 SIG. They're replete with folks double-dipping (both IC civilians/contractors and TPU RC Soldiers). That's another great way to get a foot in the door.

Feel free to PM me or @Marauder06 if you'd like to talk more. Not to share his business too much but @Marauder06 graduated from a very prestigious school run out of the DIA.

You're correct, im looking to go the HUMINT Collector route. I did ASOT while on AD. I had the same line of thought that you did as far as getting on and trying to switch career fields down the road so I applied for the OST position as well.

Have you been through DSDC?

I have not. I wasn't aware 18 series regularly attended that course. I've always been under the impression it was for the 35 series folks as those are the only people I've ever seen sent to that course.

Not only 35 series. Multi service and you'll get DIA folks in there also that are on track to working with DAT. People outside of the permissive HUMINT side are likely more exceptional to get government jobs doing it, but there's no rule. Your ASO experience is likely considered valuable, especially if you done ASOT3 our the management course I heard they developed.

Good luck with the application. Manage your expectations on the process because it sucks. I tried for plenty of jobs I more than qualified for and then got called up for an interview I'd say I have no right qualifying for.

Not only 35 series. Multi service and you'll get DIA folks in there also that are on track to working with DAT. People outside of the permissive HUMINT side are likely more exceptional to get government jobs doing it, but there's no rule. Your ASO experience is likely considered valuable, especially if you done ASOT3 our the management course I heard they developed.

Good luck with the application. Manage your expectations on the process because it sucks. I tried for plenty of jobs I more than qualified for and then got called up for an interview I'd say I have no right qualifying for.

I'm definitely doing some expectation management and keeping my hopes of hearing anything very low.

I applied for a DEA analyst job in Seattle and was contacted for an interview 9 months later. I also applied for other Intel jobs and got solid offers within 120 days. Granted, they both were looking for very specific knowledge, skills, and abilities but the point is the USG hiring process can vary so never give up hope.

I don't think that's correct, I think collectors in DH are going through FTC - DATC is reserved for uniform personnel. However, it's been a couple years since I've been at DIA so if you have more current information go with that.

The biggest reason why most people don't get referred on USAJOBS is because of their resume. A resume submitted on USAJOBS should be substantially longer than a private sector resume and not written out in bullet points but rather in paragraphs.

Shit...thanks for that info...:thumbsup:

I also heard you have to lie...ie in this case...you invented Intel....so dumb....:wall:

Back