Army Medical Command presents leadership award to 10th SFG(A) Officer

Ravage

running up that hill
http://news.soc.mil/releases/News Archive/2009/July/090717-01.html

FORT CARSON, Colo. (USASOC News Service, July 17, 2009) – Maj. Lee Freeman, 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne), is the active duty officer recipient of the Army’s 2009 John R. Teal Leadership Award presented during the annual Association of the United States Army Annual Medical Symposium in San Antonio, Texas.

Freeman will receive the award July 24 from the Army Surgeon General, Lt. Gen. Eric B. Schoomaker, for his exceptional leadership and continued demonstration of his technical expertise.

The Army Medical Command established this award following the first combat loss of a medical officer supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Capt. John R. Teal, Jr., was killed in action on Oct. 23, 2003 in Baqubah, Iraq, while deployed as a brigade medical planner with the 4th Infantry Division.

The award is presented annually to only one active duty Army Medical Service Corps Health Services Officer and one NCO. Soldiers must have demonstrated the characteristics of Teal’s leadership, professionalism, and operations qualities that go far beyond expectations.

The 10th SFG(A) surgeon recommended Freeman for the award because he wanted to recognize his outstanding performance among Special Forces and the Army Medical Department.

Freeman recently returned from his sixth tour in support of OIF where he was the Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force – Arabian Peninsula officer in charge of a 16-person joint surgeon section.

When asked about the award, Freeman conveyed his appreciation and honor that his medical section and their hard work were part of his award recognition.

“I have been fortunate to work with the best group of officers, NCO’s, and Soldiers I have ever served with in my career, “he said. “It is a team that is focused solely on providing the best care.”

Teal and Freeman were both graduates of the Virginia Military Institute, with Teal graduating two years before Freeman in 1994. The connection to the award did not go unnoticed by Freeman, relating that it is humbling to be recognized with an award named for an officer he had known in college and who had given his life for his country.

Freeman served as the Medical Operations Officer for 10th SFG(A) for the past three years and is currently headed to the Defense Intelligence Agency’s National Defense Intelligence College and will be enrolled in their Master’s program. His previous awards include the Bronze Star Medal, the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, and the Meritorious Service Medal.

Back